Re: [genpcncfir] Julia Braxton Forbes Moseley Death Certificate

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 6, 2006
      Dear Karen,
      I'm off to home. I'll be back on Monday. Friday,
      Saturday, and Sunday I am on my full-time job.
      I could not find Mrs. E. T. Corey online, so I'll
      keep searching. Carol

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 19, 2006
        Dear Karen,
        I just got back Saturday evening from the Pitt
        County Family Researchers' Reunion in Greenville.
        Since I had volunteered last fall to do the Death
        Records for the letter "M" for the PCFR website, I
        went to the courthouse and copied these records.
        I found my great aunt Julia's record listed in the
        Index that I copied but did not have time to copy the
        actual Death Record. I really appreciate your having
        shared this information.
        Can you tell me, please, the address on Greenville
        Boulevard where Aunt Julia was born? If the house is
        still standing next month, when I hope to run to
        Greenville again, then it would be absolutely
        priceless to me to go there.
        By the way, would your grandmother Lizzie Forbes
        Hudson have been a friend of my father, Elbert Lee
        Braxton of Greenville?
        It would be a co-incidence if there were actually
        two ladies named Lizzie Hudson who lived in or near
        Greenville in the 1950's though, of course, with the
        name repetition in our families, that is a
        possibility.
        Later, Carol

        --- kmneth57 <karen@...> wrote:

        > Carol,
        > I have the death certificate of Julia Braxton (my
        > ggrandmother). Died
        > Nov 12, 1941. White female, birthdate July 8, 1883,
        > age 58, birthplace
        > Pitt Co, occupation domestic, husband James Moseley.
        > Father Ellis
        > (Elias) Braxton, Pitt Co, mother Sarah Sutton, Pitt
        > Co. Informant Mrs.
        > E. T?. Corey of R3 Greenville. Cemetery Allen
        > Cemetery (AKA Col Hardee
        > Cemetery) Cause of death: Coronary occlusion, 1 hr,
        > secondary: auto
        > accident. (Note: my aunt Beulah ran in the ditch
        > while carrying her
        > home and she was carried to the hospital with bump
        > on her head and died
        > within an hour)
        >
        > Julia was later, upon widening of 10th street in
        > Greenville, reinterred
        > along with Joe Forbes, James Moseley, Raymond
        > Moseley, R.W. FOrbes,
        > John FOrbes, to Pinewood cemetery in Greenville.
        >
        > The house that Julia Braxton lived in still stands
        > on Greenville
        > Boulevard. My grandmother, Lizzie Forbes Hudson,
        > said she was born in
        > that house.
        >
        > Karen

      • Karen
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 20, 2006
          Carol,
          I am out of town right now, but I will email you PRIVATELY and let
          you know what the house number is. I'll have to ride by the house
          and write down what the actual house number is. I don't want to post
          the actual address out here on the internet because I don't know how
          the current owners may feel about that. Look for that email later
          this weekend or first of next week. I should also have some pictures
          of the exterior that Betty Wall, Ann Vernelson and I took earlier
          this year when we visited the house.

          And I have one small correction to your post. Julia was not born in
          that house (that I know of). She lived there. She lived there when
          she was married to my great grandfather Joe Forbes. Lizzie was
          his/her daughter.

          As I stated below that was where my grandmother Lizzie Forbes Hudson
          was born. And yes, I'm sure Lizzie knew ELbert Lee Braxton.
          Although I'm not sure of the exact kinship, they should have either
          been cousins or some relation. Julia Braxton Forbes Moseley was both
          my great aunt and also your great aunt.

          Karen Nethercutt

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh
          <csinghworthington@...> wrote:

          > Dear Karen,
          > I just got back Saturday evening from the Pitt
          > County Family Researchers' Reunion in Greenville.
          > Since I had volunteered last fall to do the Death
          > Records for the letter "M" for the PCFR website, I
          > went to the courthouse and copied these records.
          > I found my great aunt Julia's record listed in the
          > Index that I copied but did not have time to copy the
          > actual Death Record. I really appreciate your having
          > shared this information.
          > Can you tell me, please, the address on Greenville
          > Boulevard where Aunt Julia was born? If the house is
          > still standing next month, when I hope to run to
          > Greenville again, then it would be absolutely
          > priceless to me to go there.
          > By the way, would your grandmother Lizzie Forbes
          > Hudson have been a friend of my father, Elbert Lee
          > Braxton of Greenville?
          > It would be a co-incidence if there were actually
          > two ladies named Lizzie Hudson who lived in or near
          > Greenville in the 1950's though, of course, with the
          > name repetition in our families, that is a
          > possibility.
          > Later, Carol
          >
          > --- kmneth57 <karen@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Carol,
          > > I have the death certificate of Julia Braxton (my
          > > ggrandmother). Died
          > > Nov 12, 1941. White female, birthdate July 8, 1883,
          > > age 58, birthplace
          > > Pitt Co, occupation domestic, husband James Moseley.
          > > Father Ellis
          > > (Elias) Braxton, Pitt Co, mother Sarah Sutton, Pitt
          > > Co. Informant Mrs.
          > > E. T?. Corey of R3 Greenville. Cemetery Allen
          > > Cemetery (AKA Col Hardee
          > > Cemetery) Cause of death: Coronary occlusion, 1 hr,
          > > secondary: auto
          > > accident. (Note: my aunt Beulah ran in the ditch
          > > while carrying her
          > > home and she was carried to the hospital with bump
          > > on her head and died
          > > within an hour)
          > >
          > > Julia was later, upon widening of 10th street in
          > > Greenville, reinterred
          > > along with Joe Forbes, James Moseley, Raymond
          > > Moseley, R.W. FOrbes,
          > > John FOrbes, to Pinewood cemetery in Greenville.
          > >
          > > The house that Julia Braxton lived in still stands
          > > on Greenville
          > > Boulevard. My grandmother, Lizzie Forbes Hudson,
          > > said she was born in
          > > that house.
          > >
          > > Karen

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Karen
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 21, 2006
            Carol,
            I mis-spoke in the last paragraph below: Julia Braxton Forbes
            Moseley was both my great grandmother and your great aunt. Her
            daughter, Julia Moseley Gladson was my great aunt (half sister to my
            grandmother Lizzie).

            Karen

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
              Dear Kare,
              Don't let it trouble you. If I could keep up with
              all my mis-speakings, I could publish a book
              containing nothing but these.
              Julia Braxton Forbes, as you noted, was my great
              aunt because she was the sistr of my grandfather,
              Elijah Braxton. However, both of her brothers were
              married to my grandmother. Elias "Goude" Braxton
              married my grandmother Dosie Dail Braxton after both
              had been widowed.
              So, Aunt Julia was my double great aunt--or my
              great aunt and my step-great aunt.
              Uncle Goude, as he was known to all of us, was the
              father of my Cousin Lester. When his dad married my
              grandmother, that made him my step-uncle as well as my
              birth cousin.
              I am still searching backwards in our Braxton line.
              To date, I have proof that James Elias Braxton who
              married Sarah Sutton was the son of James Braxton and
              Martha Crawford. I have a copy of their marriage
              record from the courthouse in Greenville.
              On every census record, James Braxton and Martha
              Crawford were next to John Braxton and Sarah, which
              leads me to believe that these were the parents of
              James Braxton. Martha's parents, Allen and Siddie
              Crawford, lived only a couple of households distant.
              I am thinking that John Braxton and Sarah were the
              parents of James Braxton who married Martha Crawford.
              Do you know about our line this far back from
              anything that might have come down to you or that you
              have found out?
              Thanks, Carol

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
                Dear Karen,
                Thanks so very much. That will be wonderful!
                Later, Carol

              • Karen
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
                  Carol,
                  I don't have anything that was passed down to me on the
                  Braxtons/Crawfords. My grandmother Lizzie passed away before I
                  became interested in genealogy, so all that she knew is lost to me.
                  The little that I know about them sounds a lot like what you know, so
                  we are plowing the same ground more than likely.

                  Karen

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                    Dear Karen,
                    My sister and I are planning a trip to Greenville
                    in December to spend the day. While there, I hope to
                    get back to the Courthouse and review some of the old
                    land records.
                    The most recent discovery I've made was the running
                    across Hannah Braxton's marriage to Noah Harris around
                    1810. He had fought in the War of 1812, and she was
                    filing for his pension from that war. Shortly after
                    their marriage at the home of her father, James
                    Braxton said the document, the couple had moved to
                    Wayne County, N.C.
                    Following his death, she had moved back to Pitt to
                    be near her family. Possibly we could recover
                    additional information on her from the Wayne County
                    Censuses as well as from later Pitt County records.
                    I would really like to know who her brothers and
                    sisters were and who her mother was.
                    Later, Carol

                  • yakd49
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                      To date, I have proof that James Elias Braxton who
                      married Sarah Sutton was the son of James Braxton
                      and Martha Crawford. I have a copy of their marriage
                      theparents of James Braxton who married Martha
                      Crawford.Do you know about our line this far back from
                      anything that might have come down to you or that

                      I have been trying to follow along on this Braxton line to see if
                      there may be a link to my Harrington Line.

                      I have a Paul Harrington b:23 Apr 1868 d:27 Jul 1932 burried
                      Winterville Cemetery. Married to Mary White b:8 May 1870 d:18 Mar 1958
                      also burried at Winterville Cemetery.

                      Pauls parents were James Harrington b: 1833 d:1912 and Penelope Braxton
                      b:4 Dec 1885 d:30 Dec 1910.

                      I have Penelope fahter listed as John Braxton and her mother Sarah
                      and have them listed on the 1850 Census Griffins District Pitt Coounty
                      NC. Penolope has a sister named Hannah age 20 on this 1850 census.

                      Paul Harrington married Penolope and Pauls brother Allen married a
                      Polly Braxton b:1879 d:1970 My notes indicate that she was born & died
                      in Craven county , burried in Vanceboro, dau of John Braxton, son of
                      James Braxton and Martha _____

                      Polly Braxton was survived by 5 daughters
                      Mary Jane McDade, Raleigh NC
                      B.U. Gonick, Los Angles Ca
                      Emma Lee Sutton , Vanceboro, NC
                      Mrs Thad S. Toler, Askin NC
                      Mrs Auther L. Foy, Norfolk Va

                      My only sources are the notes I got from Greenville during the Family
                      reunion and the 1850 Census. Just trying to tie in another frayed
                      thread in the family tree.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                        Dear Group Member,
                        Here's the scoop! James Harrington married my
                        great, great, great aunt Penelope Braxton, daughter of
                        John Braxton and Sarah--my great, great, great,
                        grandfather. I am figuring that John Braxton and Sarah
                        were the parents of my great, great grandfather, James
                        Braxton who married Martha Crawford. Their households
                        are next to each other in every census since James
                        married Martha.
                        I have my Braxton line supported by evidence from
                        James Braxton and Martha Crawford to the present.
                        I do not have documentation besides the censuses
                        showing proximity of the households to prove that John
                        Braxton and Sarah were the parents of James Braxton
                        who married Martha Crawford.
                        Because of the passing down of names in the
                        family, I feel that John Braxton who married Sarah was
                        the son of John Braxton and Hannah. Additionally, the
                        1915 letter to the Daily Reflector of one Elias
                        Braxton from Texas son of Lacy Braxton and Elizabeth
                        Parker of Pitt County names one of his uncles as John
                        Braxton, his grandparents as John Braxton and Hannah
                        lead to believe that John Braxton who married Sarah
                        was also the son of John Braxton and Hannah.
                        Back to your e-mail, James Harrington and Penelope
                        Braxton married in 1859 or 1860, I believe. Their
                        first child was a son named Curtis. They were living
                        in 1860 with Penelope's parents.
                        Back to you later today, Carol

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                          Dear Group Member,
                          Thanks so much for sharing the information about
                          these family members. Polly would have been my great
                          aunt. Even though I never met her, your information
                          fills in additional gaps in my research and makes me
                          feel even closer to this family. Not having known
                          them, I treasure them more rather than less. Through
                          sharing our information, perhaps we can restore them
                          to our families.
                          Later, Carol