Julia Braxton Forbes Moseley Death Certificate

  • kmneth57
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 6 3:39 PM
      Carol,
      I have the death certificate of Julia Braxton (my ggrandmother). Died
      Nov 12, 1941. White female, birthdate July 8, 1883, age 58, birthplace
      Pitt Co, occupation domestic, husband James Moseley. Father Ellis
      (Elias) Braxton, Pitt Co, mother Sarah Sutton, Pitt Co. Informant Mrs.
      E. T?. Corey of R3 Greenville. Cemetery Allen Cemetery (AKA Col Hardee
      Cemetery) Cause of death: Coronary occlusion, 1 hr, secondary: auto
      accident. (Note: my aunt Beulah ran in the ditch while carrying her
      home and she was carried to the hospital with bump on her head and died
      within an hour)

      Julia was later, upon widening of 10th street in Greenville, reinterred
      along with Joe Forbes, James Moseley, Raymond Moseley, R.W. FOrbes,
      John FOrbes, to Pinewood cemetery in Greenville.

      The house that Julia Braxton lived in still stands on Greenville
      Boulevard. My grandmother, Lizzie Forbes Hudson, said she was born in
      that house.

      Karen
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 6 5:29 PM
        Dear Karen,
        What a sad way to die! From all the information I
        have, I feel strongly that Julia Braxton was the
        sister of my grandfather Elijah Braxton and of Uncle
        "Goude" Elias Braxton. I think that I was incredibly
        lucky even to have known Uncle "Goude" and very lucky
        indeed to have had the privilege of his company for
        the eleven years I spent in Pitt with my family.
        Additionally, I visited my Braxton family until after
        the death of Aunt Catherine Braxton Warren each July
        4th and spent a couple of nights with them.
        Afterwards, I tried to get back every year or so to
        see Cousin Lester and Cousin Louise.
        I don't know how Uncle "Goude" kept his spirits up
        after having lost two siblings to automobile
        accidents, but he was always a person to look on the
        bright side of things.
        I wish that I had had the privilege of knowing
        Julia and my grandfather. I wouldn't take anything for
        Uncle "Goude," so I don't want anyone to think
        otherwise. Still, I would have liked knowing also
        those relatives who died before I was born.
        Do you know who Mrs. E. T. Corey was? I didn't find
        an E. T. Corey in Chronicles II. Either I have
        overlooked him, or he is in Chronicles I, which I have
        at home.
        By the way, many Corey family members married into
        my Worthington family. The Corey land was across from
        our farm where it bordered the Corey Road.
        I believe Uncle Mark said his father, Alfred
        Worthington, had attended the Corey School and that he
        had himself for a time.
        One piece of land on our farm bordering the Corey
        Road we called the Corey Field; the other we called
        the Baker Field. I believe the old Corey School joined
        the Corey Field. I am sure some of our group can set
        me straight if I have made a mistake in any of these
        particulars. Since I am here to learn, I always
        welcome new information. Later, Carol

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 6 5:57 PM
          Dear Karen,
          I'm off to home. I'll be back on Monday. Friday,
          Saturday, and Sunday I am on my full-time job.
          I could not find Mrs. E. T. Corey online, so I'll
          keep searching. Carol

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 19, 2006
            Dear Karen,
            I just got back Saturday evening from the Pitt
            County Family Researchers' Reunion in Greenville.
            Since I had volunteered last fall to do the Death
            Records for the letter "M" for the PCFR website, I
            went to the courthouse and copied these records.
            I found my great aunt Julia's record listed in the
            Index that I copied but did not have time to copy the
            actual Death Record. I really appreciate your having
            shared this information.
            Can you tell me, please, the address on Greenville
            Boulevard where Aunt Julia was born? If the house is
            still standing next month, when I hope to run to
            Greenville again, then it would be absolutely
            priceless to me to go there.
            By the way, would your grandmother Lizzie Forbes
            Hudson have been a friend of my father, Elbert Lee
            Braxton of Greenville?
            It would be a co-incidence if there were actually
            two ladies named Lizzie Hudson who lived in or near
            Greenville in the 1950's though, of course, with the
            name repetition in our families, that is a
            possibility.
            Later, Carol

            --- kmneth57 <karen@...> wrote:

            > Carol,
            > I have the death certificate of Julia Braxton (my
            > ggrandmother). Died
            > Nov 12, 1941. White female, birthdate July 8, 1883,
            > age 58, birthplace
            > Pitt Co, occupation domestic, husband James Moseley.
            > Father Ellis
            > (Elias) Braxton, Pitt Co, mother Sarah Sutton, Pitt
            > Co. Informant Mrs.
            > E. T?. Corey of R3 Greenville. Cemetery Allen
            > Cemetery (AKA Col Hardee
            > Cemetery) Cause of death: Coronary occlusion, 1 hr,
            > secondary: auto
            > accident. (Note: my aunt Beulah ran in the ditch
            > while carrying her
            > home and she was carried to the hospital with bump
            > on her head and died
            > within an hour)
            >
            > Julia was later, upon widening of 10th street in
            > Greenville, reinterred
            > along with Joe Forbes, James Moseley, Raymond
            > Moseley, R.W. FOrbes,
            > John FOrbes, to Pinewood cemetery in Greenville.
            >
            > The house that Julia Braxton lived in still stands
            > on Greenville
            > Boulevard. My grandmother, Lizzie Forbes Hudson,
            > said she was born in
            > that house.
            >
            > Karen

          • Karen
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 20, 2006
              Carol,
              I am out of town right now, but I will email you PRIVATELY and let
              you know what the house number is. I'll have to ride by the house
              and write down what the actual house number is. I don't want to post
              the actual address out here on the internet because I don't know how
              the current owners may feel about that. Look for that email later
              this weekend or first of next week. I should also have some pictures
              of the exterior that Betty Wall, Ann Vernelson and I took earlier
              this year when we visited the house.

              And I have one small correction to your post. Julia was not born in
              that house (that I know of). She lived there. She lived there when
              she was married to my great grandfather Joe Forbes. Lizzie was
              his/her daughter.

              As I stated below that was where my grandmother Lizzie Forbes Hudson
              was born. And yes, I'm sure Lizzie knew ELbert Lee Braxton.
              Although I'm not sure of the exact kinship, they should have either
              been cousins or some relation. Julia Braxton Forbes Moseley was both
              my great aunt and also your great aunt.

              Karen Nethercutt

              --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh
              <csinghworthington@...> wrote:

              > Dear Karen,
              > I just got back Saturday evening from the Pitt
              > County Family Researchers' Reunion in Greenville.
              > Since I had volunteered last fall to do the Death
              > Records for the letter "M" for the PCFR website, I
              > went to the courthouse and copied these records.
              > I found my great aunt Julia's record listed in the
              > Index that I copied but did not have time to copy the
              > actual Death Record. I really appreciate your having
              > shared this information.
              > Can you tell me, please, the address on Greenville
              > Boulevard where Aunt Julia was born? If the house is
              > still standing next month, when I hope to run to
              > Greenville again, then it would be absolutely
              > priceless to me to go there.
              > By the way, would your grandmother Lizzie Forbes
              > Hudson have been a friend of my father, Elbert Lee
              > Braxton of Greenville?
              > It would be a co-incidence if there were actually
              > two ladies named Lizzie Hudson who lived in or near
              > Greenville in the 1950's though, of course, with the
              > name repetition in our families, that is a
              > possibility.
              > Later, Carol
              >
              > --- kmneth57 <karen@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Carol,
              > > I have the death certificate of Julia Braxton (my
              > > ggrandmother). Died
              > > Nov 12, 1941. White female, birthdate July 8, 1883,
              > > age 58, birthplace
              > > Pitt Co, occupation domestic, husband James Moseley.
              > > Father Ellis
              > > (Elias) Braxton, Pitt Co, mother Sarah Sutton, Pitt
              > > Co. Informant Mrs.
              > > E. T?. Corey of R3 Greenville. Cemetery Allen
              > > Cemetery (AKA Col Hardee
              > > Cemetery) Cause of death: Coronary occlusion, 1 hr,
              > > secondary: auto
              > > accident. (Note: my aunt Beulah ran in the ditch
              > > while carrying her
              > > home and she was carried to the hospital with bump
              > > on her head and died
              > > within an hour)
              > >
              > > Julia was later, upon widening of 10th street in
              > > Greenville, reinterred
              > > along with Joe Forbes, James Moseley, Raymond
              > > Moseley, R.W. FOrbes,
              > > John FOrbes, to Pinewood cemetery in Greenville.
              > >
              > > The house that Julia Braxton lived in still stands
              > > on Greenville
              > > Boulevard. My grandmother, Lizzie Forbes Hudson,
              > > said she was born in
              > > that house.
              > >
              > > Karen

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Karen
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 21, 2006
                Carol,
                I mis-spoke in the last paragraph below: Julia Braxton Forbes
                Moseley was both my great grandmother and your great aunt. Her
                daughter, Julia Moseley Gladson was my great aunt (half sister to my
                grandmother Lizzie).

                Karen

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
                  Dear Kare,
                  Don't let it trouble you. If I could keep up with
                  all my mis-speakings, I could publish a book
                  containing nothing but these.
                  Julia Braxton Forbes, as you noted, was my great
                  aunt because she was the sistr of my grandfather,
                  Elijah Braxton. However, both of her brothers were
                  married to my grandmother. Elias "Goude" Braxton
                  married my grandmother Dosie Dail Braxton after both
                  had been widowed.
                  So, Aunt Julia was my double great aunt--or my
                  great aunt and my step-great aunt.
                  Uncle Goude, as he was known to all of us, was the
                  father of my Cousin Lester. When his dad married my
                  grandmother, that made him my step-uncle as well as my
                  birth cousin.
                  I am still searching backwards in our Braxton line.
                  To date, I have proof that James Elias Braxton who
                  married Sarah Sutton was the son of James Braxton and
                  Martha Crawford. I have a copy of their marriage
                  record from the courthouse in Greenville.
                  On every census record, James Braxton and Martha
                  Crawford were next to John Braxton and Sarah, which
                  leads me to believe that these were the parents of
                  James Braxton. Martha's parents, Allen and Siddie
                  Crawford, lived only a couple of households distant.
                  I am thinking that John Braxton and Sarah were the
                  parents of James Braxton who married Martha Crawford.
                  Do you know about our line this far back from
                  anything that might have come down to you or that you
                  have found out?
                  Thanks, Carol

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
                    Dear Karen,
                    Thanks so very much. That will be wonderful!
                    Later, Carol

                  • Karen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
                      Carol,
                      I don't have anything that was passed down to me on the
                      Braxtons/Crawfords. My grandmother Lizzie passed away before I
                      became interested in genealogy, so all that she knew is lost to me.
                      The little that I know about them sounds a lot like what you know, so
                      we are plowing the same ground more than likely.

                      Karen

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                        Dear Karen,
                        My sister and I are planning a trip to Greenville
                        in December to spend the day. While there, I hope to
                        get back to the Courthouse and review some of the old
                        land records.
                        The most recent discovery I've made was the running
                        across Hannah Braxton's marriage to Noah Harris around
                        1810. He had fought in the War of 1812, and she was
                        filing for his pension from that war. Shortly after
                        their marriage at the home of her father, James
                        Braxton said the document, the couple had moved to
                        Wayne County, N.C.
                        Following his death, she had moved back to Pitt to
                        be near her family. Possibly we could recover
                        additional information on her from the Wayne County
                        Censuses as well as from later Pitt County records.
                        I would really like to know who her brothers and
                        sisters were and who her mother was.
                        Later, Carol

                      • yakd49
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                          To date, I have proof that James Elias Braxton who
                          married Sarah Sutton was the son of James Braxton
                          and Martha Crawford. I have a copy of their marriage
                          theparents of James Braxton who married Martha
                          Crawford.Do you know about our line this far back from
                          anything that might have come down to you or that

                          I have been trying to follow along on this Braxton line to see if
                          there may be a link to my Harrington Line.

                          I have a Paul Harrington b:23 Apr 1868 d:27 Jul 1932 burried
                          Winterville Cemetery. Married to Mary White b:8 May 1870 d:18 Mar 1958
                          also burried at Winterville Cemetery.

                          Pauls parents were James Harrington b: 1833 d:1912 and Penelope Braxton
                          b:4 Dec 1885 d:30 Dec 1910.

                          I have Penelope fahter listed as John Braxton and her mother Sarah
                          and have them listed on the 1850 Census Griffins District Pitt Coounty
                          NC. Penolope has a sister named Hannah age 20 on this 1850 census.

                          Paul Harrington married Penolope and Pauls brother Allen married a
                          Polly Braxton b:1879 d:1970 My notes indicate that she was born & died
                          in Craven county , burried in Vanceboro, dau of John Braxton, son of
                          James Braxton and Martha _____

                          Polly Braxton was survived by 5 daughters
                          Mary Jane McDade, Raleigh NC
                          B.U. Gonick, Los Angles Ca
                          Emma Lee Sutton , Vanceboro, NC
                          Mrs Thad S. Toler, Askin NC
                          Mrs Auther L. Foy, Norfolk Va

                          My only sources are the notes I got from Greenville during the Family
                          reunion and the 1850 Census. Just trying to tie in another frayed
                          thread in the family tree.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                            Dear Group Member,
                            Here's the scoop! James Harrington married my
                            great, great, great aunt Penelope Braxton, daughter of
                            John Braxton and Sarah--my great, great, great,
                            grandfather. I am figuring that John Braxton and Sarah
                            were the parents of my great, great grandfather, James
                            Braxton who married Martha Crawford. Their households
                            are next to each other in every census since James
                            married Martha.
                            I have my Braxton line supported by evidence from
                            James Braxton and Martha Crawford to the present.
                            I do not have documentation besides the censuses
                            showing proximity of the households to prove that John
                            Braxton and Sarah were the parents of James Braxton
                            who married Martha Crawford.
                            Because of the passing down of names in the
                            family, I feel that John Braxton who married Sarah was
                            the son of John Braxton and Hannah. Additionally, the
                            1915 letter to the Daily Reflector of one Elias
                            Braxton from Texas son of Lacy Braxton and Elizabeth
                            Parker of Pitt County names one of his uncles as John
                            Braxton, his grandparents as John Braxton and Hannah
                            lead to believe that John Braxton who married Sarah
                            was also the son of John Braxton and Hannah.
                            Back to your e-mail, James Harrington and Penelope
                            Braxton married in 1859 or 1860, I believe. Their
                            first child was a son named Curtis. They were living
                            in 1860 with Penelope's parents.
                            Back to you later today, Carol

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                              Dear Group Member,
                              Thanks so much for sharing the information about
                              these family members. Polly would have been my great
                              aunt. Even though I never met her, your information
                              fills in additional gaps in my research and makes me
                              feel even closer to this family. Not having known
                              them, I treasure them more rather than less. Through
                              sharing our information, perhaps we can restore them
                              to our families.
                              Later, Carol