Re: [genpcncfir] Julia Braxton photo added and Elias Corrections

  • Debbie Murphy
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4, 2006
      Link to scans of photos?

      Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote: Dear Karen,
      William O. Braxton must have been daddy's brother,
      my Uncle William who died of a heart attack on his way
      back from the grocery store one morning. He fell down
      dead in his tracks without ever having been sick a day
      in his life.
      Nettie Braxton must have been the first wife of
      Uncle "Goude" and the mother of Lester, Fountain,
      Junior, and Julia. Later, Carol

> [...]
      > death
      > records was Elias Braxton who died in 1925. His
      > death
      > certificate lists his Dad as "Gus."
      > Augustus Braxton [parents Council Braxton and
      > Sarah Rountree] and his wife Gatsey Ann Tripp [Dad
      > Arthur Tripp] had two sons, Elias and Francis, and a
      > daughter Arcenea. One of my Braxton relatives told
      > me
      > her grandfather was "Gus" Braxton. So, I thought
      > this
      > man was my great grandfather until I saw the
      > marriage
      > record for James Elias Braxton.
      > Cousin Lester Braxton had sons Jesse and James.
      > His own father, whom we knew only as "Uncle Goude",
      > was also named Elias--Pitt County Death Records at
      > the
      > courthouse, death July 1968.
      > I hope this helps. I never knew where the
      > Braxton
      > men you mention were buried. This is absolutely
      > great!! Thank you so very much. Carol
      >
      > --- kmneth57 <karen@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Carol,
      > > I have added the scans of Julia Braxton's portrait
      > > and also her
      > > husband Joe Forbes. My mother has Julia's
      > original
      > > portrait I have
      > > Joe's original portrait.
      > >
      > > Also, let me add another question to the Elias
      > > Braxton mix. And by
      > > the way, Hastings Ford is in the Greenville city
      > > limits and is on
      > > East 10th Street/Hwy 33 east. It sits near the
      > > river at the 10th
      > > Street/Greenville Blvd intersection near what used
      > > to be called Bell
      > > Road (Greenville Blvd) and 10th Street.
      > >
      > > In my search for the graves of James Elias Braxton
      > > and Arthur Forbes,
      > > I ran across documentation from when some Braxton
      > > graves were
      > > relocated from the John Hardee Cemetery (on 10th
      > > Street) to Greenwood
      > > Cemetery in 1971. In that list William O.
      > Braxton,
      > > Elias Braxton,
      > > Leona Braxton, Nettie Braxton, Daphine Braxton,
      > > James Henry Braxton,
      > > Herman Braxton & Elias R. Braxton were re-interred
      > > to Greenwood
      > > cemetery. I did find these graves, which was an
      > > accomplishment,
      > > because they are all unmarked with the exception
      > of
      > > Elias Braxton,
      > > who has a large oblisk (sp?) shaped stone, and
      > > Herman. Now here is
      > > the mystery. Who is this Elias Braxton Jan. 5,
      > 1878
      > > - Aug. 10, 1913.
      > > He could not have been Julia's father.
      > >
      > > Julia Braxton, Joe Forbes, RW and John Forbes, and
      > > Julia's 2nd
      > > husband, Moseley, were originally buried in this
      > > same Hardee
      > > cemetery, and they were reinterred to Pinewood.

      North carolina home Coastal north carolina real estate North carolina real estate North carolina Genealogy research

      ---------------------------------

    • kmneth57
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 4, 2006
        Carol,
        This was a "forced" reinterrment by the State of NC. These graves
        were moved when they widened 10th Street in Greenville. There were
        28 graves relocated, 8 of which were the Braxton family, which the
        state deeded to Fountain Braxton, who must have been the next of kin.

        The Julia you are speaking of is not Julia Braxton Forbes Moseley, I
        take it. From my research, I think my ggrandmother Julia was the
        daughter of James Elias Braxton and had two brothers, Elias and
        Elijah. That's what I mean in my earlier email when I said:

        "On SHeet 6 of the Greenville Township 1900 Census it shows Elias
        Braxton, and Sophia (Sarah???), and Eliza (daughter- should be Elijah
        Son???) and Elias Jr. Look down below and there is Julia married to
        Joe Forbes. She was married in Dec 1899. Right there are what I think
        are my James Elias, his wife, and their three children. Also on the
        same page is Martha Braxton, mother in law, is also living in the
        Thos Cannon household (with her daughter). So there is the whole
        family living in what is now the Hasting Ford area (along with the
        other Forbes family)."

        I think there may have been several Elias Braxtons living in the same
        general area about the same time that were closely related (cousins?).
        That's got to be the reason for the discrepancies. I know they are
        bound to be closely related, but not the same person.

        According to this 1900 census, Elias (James Elias) was born abt 1855.
        Eliza (which I think should be Elijah) was born about 1885
        Elias Jr. was born about 1889
        Julia Forbes (about 4 houses down) was born about 1882.
        It shows Sophia (Sarah??), wife, having 4 children, 3 living.

        Help!!! Can you think of any other explanations?

        Karen Nethercutt

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 4, 2006
          Dear Karen,
          I did not know about the street widening, so I went
          for personal motivation for moving the graves. Uncle
          Wes or Fountain or his brothers would have been
          equally good choices for taking charge of the
          reinterrments. Uncle Wes, my daddy's oldest brother,
          is still living. He was the son of James Elias Braxton
          and Sarah Sutton. I know that two of their children
          were my granddaddy Elijah Braxton and my great uncle
          "Goude" Elias Braxton. Both men married my grandmother
          Dosie Dail Braxton.
          I know that Uncle "Goude" Elias had three sons:
          Fountain, Junior, and Cousin Lester. If he did have a
          daughter, I never met her.
          Another problem I have had is not knowing people
          because I did not grow up in Pitt. Mama moved to
          Virginia when I was 11.
          Let me make a copy of the e-mail I got last week
          with the census records after 1850, and I will get
          back with you. Give me a couple of minutes. Carol

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 4, 2006
            Dear Karen,
            OOPS! I think the computer has a BUG in it! Uncle
            Wes was my daddy's brother, son of Dosie Dail and
            Elijah Braxton. Back to you, Carol

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2006
              Dear Karen,
              Deep in Braxton research and still seeking answers
              myself, I do not recall if I ever answered the
              question about Elias Braxton January 5, 1878 to August
              10, 1913.
              This Elias Braxton was the Elias whom I mistook
              initially, before the 1915 letter to the Daily
              Reflector from Elias Braxton aged about 66 years who
              as a child moved with his father Lacy Braxton, son of
              John Braxton and Hannah to Tennessee. Elias was the
              son of Lacy Braxton and his first wife Elizabeth
              Parker. Lacy married second Lezina Tripp, daughter of
              Arthur Tripp of Pitt, and later moved his family to
              Tennessee. Elias Braxton had brothers Marian and
              Elbert Braxton who died not very long after the move
              to Tennessee.
              The Elias Braxton of your letter I mistook to be
              Elias Braxton who married my great grandmother Sarah
              Sutton.
              Subsequently, I discovered that this Elias Braxton
              would have been years too young to have married Sarah.
              I found out that this Elias was the Elias who attended
              N.C. State University in Raleigh, North Carolina and
              who taught school in the Winterville-Ayden area with
              another teacher, the two of them sharing the entire
              class offerings. This young man must have been quite
              impressive as must have been the lady teacher!
              This Elias Braxton was the son of Augustus "Gus"
              Braxton and his wife Gatsey Ann Tripp. In Chronicles
              II, I mistakenly gave these kin as my direct line.
              A few months later I discovered the Marriage
              Record of James Elias Braxton and Sarah Sutton, with
              parents of James Elias listed as James Braxton and
              Martha Crawford, daughter of Allen and Siddy Crawford.
              Nettie Braxton was the wife of my great uncle and
              step-grandfather Elias "Goude" Braxton, whom all his
              life everyone called "Goude." I never knew that this
              man's real name was Elias. Census records help solve
              the mystery.
              Leona was possibly Susan Leona Braxton, daughter
              of James Braxton and Martha Crawford. She married a
              Cannon. Her mother Martha Crawford lived with her and
              her family following the death of her father.
              Julia Braxton Forbes Moseley was the daughter of
              my grandfather, James Elias Braxton who married Sarah
              Sutton. Their children were Elijah Braxton, my
              grandfather; Elias "Goude" Braxton, my great uncle and
              step-grandfather; and Julia Braxton.
              Julia would have been a cousin of Elias Braxton of
              1878.
              I hope that this information helps.
              Please let me know of anything you find out. Carol

              --- kmneth57 <karen@...> wrote:

              > Carol,
              > I have added the scans of Julia Braxton's portrait
              > and also her
              > husband Joe Forbes. My mother has Julia's original
              > portrait I have
              > Joe's original portrait.
              >
              > Also, let me add another question to the Elias
              > Braxton mix. And by
              > the way, Hastings Ford is in the Greenville city
              > limits and is on
              > East 10th Street/Hwy 33 east. It sits near the
              > river at the 10th
              > Street/Greenville Blvd intersection near what used
              > to be called Bell
              > Road (Greenville Blvd) and 10th Street.
              >
              > In my search for the graves of James Elias Braxton
              > and Arthur Forbes,
              > I ran across documentation from when some Braxton
              > graves were
              > relocated from the John Hardee Cemetery (on 10th
              > Street) to Greenwood
              > Cemetery in 1971. In that list William O. Braxton,
              > Elias Braxton,
              > Leona Braxton, Nettie Braxton, Daphine Braxton,
              > James Henry Braxton,
              > Herman Braxton & Elias R. Braxton were re-interred
              > to Greenwood
              > cemetery. I did find these graves, which was an
              > accomplishment,
              > because they are all unmarked with the exception of
              > Elias Braxton,
              > who has a large oblisk (sp?) shaped stone, and
              > Herman. Now here is
              > the mystery. Who is this Elias Braxton Jan. 5, 1878
              > - Aug. 10, 1913.
              > He could not have been Julia's father.
              >
              > Julia Braxton, Joe Forbes, RW and John Forbes, and
              > Julia's 2nd
              > husband, Moseley, were originally buried in this
              > same Hardee
              > cemetery, and they were reinterred to Pinewood.
              >
              > Karen

              Sponsored Link

              $200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home equity -
              Click now for info http://yahoo.ratemarketplace.com