James Elias Braxton

  • kmneth57
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 29, 2006
      Carol
      There is much, much conflicting information on James Elias Braxton's
      genealogy. Ann Vernelson, Betty Wall and I are still trying to solve
      our Forbes mystery before moving on to the Braxtons, but here is what
      I have so far for my tree:
      Joel Braxton
      +Sallie Cox
      James Braxton 1820-1880
      +Martha Jane Crawford 1825-1900
      James Elias Braxton 1863-???
      +Sarah M. Sutton 1852-1941
      Julia R. Braxton 1883-1941
      +Joseph J. Forbes 1867-1914
      Lizzie Lee Forbes 1902-2000
      +Jesse James Hudson
      Jessie Rae Hudson
      +Joseph Paul Nethercutt

      Martha Jane Crawford was the daughter of Allen Crawford and
      Sidney "Siddie" Unknown. Allen's father was James Crawford b. 1762.

      I think since there is so much conflicting information on Elias
      Braxton, there must have been more than one and they must have had
      about the same birth/death dates and were closely related. The Elias
      Braxton death certificate I copied from the Reg. of Deeds with death
      date Oct. 11, 1925 shows his death place the County Home. Also I
      have never been able to find my Elias's grave, so I think possibly
      this could be the death certificate for the other Elias and not
      mine. Also on this death certificate it shows his occupation as
      Farmer/Teacher and that does not match up to my family's background.

      Does anyone know if there are any records for the Old County Home?

      So the mystery continues. I hope to solve the Forbes mystery soon so
      I can start digging more into the Braxtons.

      Karen Nethercutt
      Grimesland
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 29, 2006
        Dear Karen,
        Thank you so much for sharing your information. I
        agree with everything you have. It seems that my James
        Elias Braxton is the gentleman who died in 1925 and
        that he was married to Sarah Sutton, daughter of Noah
        Sutton and his second wife Permelia Ann Avery. I found
        documentation in the 1850 census of James Elias
        Braxton and Martha Crawford. I am told, though, the
        1850 census shows that James Braxton the father of
        James Elias Braxton was the son of John Braxton and
        Sarah rather than of Joel Braxton and Sallie Cox. He
        was also the brother of Council Braxton, of Charles
        Braxton, and of Lacey Braxton who went to Tennessee in
        the 1840's after the death of his first wife Elizabeth
        Parker and following his marriage to Lazina Tripp
        daughter of Arthur Tripp of Pitt County.
        John Braxton (b. 1730 in England) and his wife
        Hannah were the parents of John Braxton, Council
        Braxton, Charles Braxton, and Lacey. They were in Pitt
        by 1770.
        The above information comes from the February 1911
        letter from Elias Braxton in Aledo, Texas who gives
        himself as the son of Lacey Braxton and his first wife
        Elizabeth Parker. Also going to Tennessee with them
        was Rachel Parker, sister of the deceased Elizabeth,
        who had married Jesse Braxton. As with our other
        Braxton males, we find several men named Jesse
        Braxton, also. I am not sure which Jesse Braxton was
        the husband of Rachel Parker.
        Jean Braxton Casper's Chronicles II article and
        Felix Braxton's will confirm that the James Braxton
        who went to Florida in the 1850's, was his brother and
        brother of Warren Braxton. After discovering at the
        courthouse in Pitt, the marriage record for James
        Elias Braxton and Sarah Sutton whereon James Elias had
        given his parents as James Braxton and Martha Crawford
        when I went to Greenville last October, I was really
        thrown for a loop. I had never heard of this man
        James, but knowing that it was "ELIAS" who had married
        my great grandmother Sarah Sutton, I had this piece of
        evidence identifying him as my ancestor.
        Nobody ever called him "JAMES" in my hearing, yet
        Cousin Lester Braxton had a son named James as well as
        a son named Jesse, and Grandma Dosie Dail Braxton and
        Grandpa Elijah [sons of Elias Braxton and Sarah
        Sutton] had a son named Elias who had died in 1929--at
        what age and of what I hope to find when I check the
        Death Certificate at the courthouse on my next trip to
        Greenville.
        Cousin Lester was the son of Elias "GOUDE" Braxton
        whom nobody on this earth in my hearing ever called
        "ELIAS" either. Uncle Goude died in 1968 in Pitt. He
        was the father of Cousin Lester. Uncle Goude was the
        brother of my grandfather Elijah Braxton, who died in
        November 1936 when a car struck his cart as he was
        going down the road to a farm he was renting to feed
        his hogs. Widowed my grandmother married her
        brother-in-law Elias "GOUDE," widower of Nellie or
        Nettie Sutton.
        If there is any way I can help either of you in
        your researches, just give the word. If you find any
        inconsistencies or errors in mine or anything that
        does not make sense to you, tell me. Together, we can
        help one another sort our this tangle, I hope.
        Let me know what you think. I understood Kenny Guy
        Braxton's correction on his website after having read
        Jean Braxton Casper's Chronicles II article on James
        Braxton, son of Joel, to mean that his James Braxton
        was not this James Braxton who went to Florida.
        Since all the Braxtons of my immediate family
        stayed in Pitt so far as the information I had told
        me, I looked for records in Pitt, checked cemeteries,
        deed, wills, and the Daily Reflector Index online to
        learn more. Like you, I just could not figure where
        all those men named Elias went, not to mention the men
        named Elias whom nobody ever called Elias either!
        Our farm adjoined the Pitt County Home. Mama and
        Uncle Mark inherited it from their father Alfred
        Worthington upon his death in 1938. They farmed it
        until 1953, when they sold it to a son of Uncle Jim,
        my great uncle and brother of Alfred Worthington
        [1871-1938] husband of Jennie Secession McGowan.
        Some of Mama's great uncles and another relative
        through marriage all served at one time as
        Superintendents of the Pitt County Home. Bill Kittrell
        and Trish Worthington Cobb are preparing a book on the
        Pitt County Home. They asked me last year to tell them
        what I know. I will ask them about the records. I
        would really be surprised if these were not kept. I'll
        see what I can get my hands on.
        I have been exchanging information with Bob
        Forbes on our Forbes families. Tell me where you are
        and what you need. I will also be happy to share my
        Forbes information with you.
        I e-mail copies of information I receive and send
        on our families to myself to keep myself up to date on
        additions and corrections to my files. I also make
        hard copies of my files as I get time but am currently
        about two years behind! I now have a jump drive and am
        planning to transfer all my research to it instead of
        continuing to travel with my hard copy files on my
        research trips. Having my files organized on my jump
        drive means that I can carry everything I own in the
        pocket of my jeans and share it in a heartbeat. In the
        meantime, I do have everything on my computer and can
        give you anything I have within minutes of your
        request.
        Let me look at your Forbes and my files and get
        back to you. Later, Carol

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 29, 2006
          Dear Karen,
          Julia Braxton Forbes was my great aunt if what you
          are telling me is that she was the child of James
          Elias Braxton and Sarah Sutton and the wife of Joseph
          Forbes, I believe.
          I have e-mailed Ann Vernelson a couple of times
          with my questions, and she has shared information with
          me. Later, Carol

        • kmneth57
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 31, 2006
            Carol,

            Yes, Julia Braxton Forbes (Moseley) was my great grandmother. I have
            her portrait and Joe Forbes's portrait.

            On SHeet 6 of the Greenville Township 1900 Census it shows Elias
            Braxton, and Sophia (Sarah???), and Eliza (daughter- should be Elijah
            Son???) and Elias Jr. Look down below and there is Julia married to
            Joe Forbes. She was married in Dec 1899. Right there are what I think
            are my James Elias, his wife, and their three children. Also on the
            same page is Martha Braxton, mother in law, is also living in the Thos
            Cannon household (with her daughter). So there is the whole family
            living in what is now the Hasting Ford area (along with the other
            Forbes family).

            Noah & Maggie Sutton, C.B. and Sallie Braxton, Jane Crawford and
            various other Harringtons/Pollards/Suttons/Forbes are buried in a small
            wooded area cemetery near where these folks lived near Hasting Ford.

            Karen

            --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...>
            wrote:

            > Dear Karen,
            > Julia Braxton Forbes was my great aunt if what you
            > are telling me is that she was the child of James
            > Elias Braxton and Sarah Sutton and the wife of Joseph
            > Forbes, I believe.
            > I have e-mailed Ann Vernelson a couple of times
            > with my questions, and she has shared information with
            > me. Later, Carol

          • Louise
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 31, 2006
              Do you know of the Mr. Braxton that helped Rowan Cooper build a sawmill in Winterville about 1900? It didn't give Mr. Braxton's first name. It was in the days when Winterville was first incorperated. I think there was a sawmill needed for the Cox Manufactoring Company and they set out to build it. They needed wood to build homes, the Cottonseed Planters and furniture. Louise

              wrote:

              > Dear Karen,
              > Julia Braxton Forbes was my great aunt if what you
              > are telling me is that she was the child of James
              > Elias Braxton and Sarah Sutton and the wife of Joseph
              > Forbes, I believe.
              > I have e-mailed Ann Vernelson a couple of times
              > with my questions, and she has shared information with
              > me. Later, Carol

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
                Dear Louise,
                I think so. I'll get back with you on it. I think
                he was the same man the school hired to dig its well!
                Later, Carol

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
                  Dear Karen,
                  I'd LOVE to see the pictures! I am deeply grateful
                  for the support you and the group have given me in
                  connecting with my daddy's family, which is often my
                  mother's family as well. I can't very well say
                  "re-connect," when I never was connected and never
                  knew my family. This group and members like you have
                  been the greatest gift I could ever receive.
                  Here's the way I see our Elias Braxton men. James
                  and Martha Crawford had among their sons James Elias
                  Braxton. James Elias Braxton who married Sarah Sutton,
                  my great grandmother, had a son Elias. I believe that
                  he was the Elias Braxton born around 1887 who died in
                  1913. I had been mistaken until last October, when I
                  discovered the marriage record of James Elias Braxton
                  and Sarah Suttton in Greenville at the courthouse, in
                  thinking that this gentleman was my great grandfather.

                  I have found no marriage or other record for Elias
                  Braxton who died in 1913. I thought initially that he
                  was the son of Augustus Braxton and Gatsey Ann Tripp.
                  They had a son Elias, a son Francis, and a daughter
                  Arcenae. Augustus was the son of Council Braxton, Sr.
                  and his wife Sarah Rountree--who, of course, named a
                  son Council as well.
                  James Elias Braxton had a son named Elias. I know
                  nothing about this son except that the Elias Braxton
                  who died in 1913 was of an age to have been the son of
                  James Elias Braxton. He could, of course, have been
                  the son of Augustus Braxton.
                  Do you know who were the parents of this Elias
                  Braxton?
                  I got his information from the online cemetery
                  records at PCFR. I think that his 1913 death occurred
                  before Pitt County was keeping records. Later, Carol

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
                    Dear Karen & Group,
                    What I MEANT to say was that I BELIEVED that Elias
                    who died in 1913 WAS the Elias who married Sarah
                    Sutton UNTIL I learned that the MARRIAGE OCCURRED IN
                    1881! There was no way a person born in 1887 was
                    married in 1881. Linda Eckerd pointed this error out
                    to me in writing about her Parker family. Elizabeth
                    Parker married Lacey Braxton; Lacy was a son of John
                    Braxton and Hannah (born in England, came to Pitt
                    around 1760). John and Hannah also had children named
                    John and Hannah.
                    Lacy Braxton and Elizabeth Parker had one child
                    surviving to adulthood--Elias Braxton. This family
                    moved to Tennesse around 1849 following the death of
                    Elizabeth Parker and Lacey's marriage to Lezina Tripp,
                    a daughter of Arthur Tripp.
                    About the same time, Elizabeth's sister Rachel
                    Parker married our ancestor Jesse Braxton and also
                    moved to Tennessee.
                    Lacey Braxton and Lezina Tripp had six children.
                    The story of this family is summarized in the February
                    1995 Genealogical Quarterly of the Pitt County Family
                    Researchers, which reprints the 1911 letter of Elias
                    Braxton [only surviving child, now 66 years old, of
                    Lacey Braxton & Elizabeth Parker]. Elias had written
                    his letter to the editor of the News & Observer
                    because he wanted to re-connect with his Braxton
                    family. He sounds just like us, doesn't he!
                    I wrote an entry on Dosie Braxton, my grandmother,
                    and my Braxton family for Chronicles II. Still
                    thinking that Elias who died in 1913 was my great
                    grandfather and that he was the son of Augustus, I put
                    this information in Chronicles II.
                    I know for certain from the fact that James Elias
                    Braxton married Sarah Sutton that he is my great
                    grandfather. He did not die in 1913 because the Elias
                    who died in 1913 was born in 1887. James Elias Braxton
                    was 21 at the time of his marriage to Sarah. That
                    means he was born around 1863.
                    On his marriage record, he gives his parents as
                    James Braxton and Martha Crawford.
                    The parents of this James Braxton were, I think,
                    John Braxton and Mary--I believe the wife was.
                    Does anyone know who were the parents of Mary?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
                      Dear Louise,
                      This Elias Braxton must have been James Elias
                      Braxton, my great grandfather, who was born around
                      1863. He married Sarah Sutton on January 6, 1881.
                      Among the witnesses at the ceremony were W. W.
                      Worthington, Alfred Cannon, and Jannie Sutton.
                      The parents listed for 26 year-old Sarah Sutton
                      are Noah Sutton and Parmelia Sutton.
                      Does anyone know who Jannie Sutton was?
                      Augustus' son Elias, assuming he is the only other
                      surviving Elias whom I know of, would have been too
                      young to have been employed.
                      In one of our Pitt County Family Researchers
                      Genealogical Quarterlies, I also read that Elias
                      Braxton taught school at Winterville, he having been
                      some time at the University in Raleigh.
                      He and another teacher [a lady] taught ALL the
                      classes. Can we imagine such an occurrence today!
                      I do not know how the school system in North
                      Carolina is structured today, but when I was at
                      Winterville Elementary, there were only Elementary
                      School and High School.
                      Virginia was the same. Then some decades ago,
                      Virginia instituted something called MIDDLE SCHOOL. It
                      was supposed to address the special needs of the child
                      in the age range of 12 or 13 to 15 or 16.
                      That system might have been a good one except for
                      the fact that it added the rotating classes of the
                      high school, which meant the death of individualized
                      instruction until the child entered college. Instead
                      of one teacher for every subject, the child has a
                      different teacher for each subject. He sees each
                      teacher for only one class period.
                      After fifth grade, teachers in Virginia teach one
                      subject--usually the one they majored in for their
                      degrees. That's why it is difficult to imagine today
                      the achievement level of those high school teachers of
                      yore when today no school system would dream of
                      expecting a teacher to be qualified to teach every
                      subject offered! Later, Carol

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
                        Dear Louise,
                        Can you tell me where Hasting Ford is? I was only
                        11 when our family moved to Virginia. Mama and Uncle
                        Mark bought a farm between Ashland and Doswell,
                        Virginia--47 acres of some of the most beautiful land
                        this side of the Grand Canyon. I wish that I could say
                        the farm was still in the family, but it was sold
                        after Mama died. There was nobody left who could farm
                        it, so selling it was the best decision.
                        Of our Braxton relatives who moved to the
                        Winterville area, the Eastern Reflector and Daily
                        Reflector from time to time made mention. Among the
                        first was C. C. Braxton or Christopher Columbus
                        Braxton who moved to Ayden and who served on the
                        School Board there. He died young. I do have a copy at
                        home of the Eastern Reflector article about his death.
                        Warren Braxton and his wife Cenettia Trip and Felix
                        Braxton and his wife Mahala Smith also lived in the
                        area; they were sons of Joel Braxton and his wife
                        Sallie. Both Warren and Felix owned land, and their
                        names come up in several online deed notes at the PCFR
                        website where they either inherited or bought land.
                        These men and their brother James, whose heirs are
                        listed in Felix's Will, are discussed in entries in
                        Chronicles II of Pitt County. Jean Braxton Casper
                        wrote the entry on this James Braxton. Like Kenny
                        Braxton, I did not realize until reading Jean's
                        Chronicles II entry that James had moved to Georgia, I
                        believe it was. He had hoped to return to Pitt, but
                        the scarcity of land and the prices of land caused him
                        to decide not to. Later, Carol

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 11, 2006
                          Dear Karen,
                          Another member of our Group sent me census records
                          showing James Braxton 1820-1880 living always next to
                          John Braxton & Sarah. He feels that John Braxton &
                          Sarah are therefore most likely the parents of James
                          Braxton 1820-1880, who married Martha Crawford. Either
                          way, we have the same ancestors, differing only in
                          that you descend from Julia while I descend from
                          Elijah.
                          Thank you so very much for giving me the dates of
                          these earlier men and tracing your own family for me.
                          I did not have many of these dates, but had pieced
                          approximations together from census records. Later,
                          Carol

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 7, 2006
                            Dear Karen,
                            Did you grow up knowing any of these family
                            members--either Julia herself or her brothers Elijah
                            Braxton and Elias "Goude" Braxton?
                            Later, Carol

                            --- kmneth57 <karen@...> wrote:

                            > Carol,
                            >
                            > Yes, Julia Braxton Forbes (Moseley) was my great
                            > grandmother. I have
                            > her portrait and Joe Forbes's portrait.
                            >
                            > On SHeet 6 of the Greenville Township 1900 Census it
                            > shows Elias
                            > Braxton, and Sophia (Sarah???), and Eliza (daughter-
                            > should be Elijah
                            > Son???) and Elias Jr. Look down below and there is
                            > Julia married to
                            > Joe Forbes. She was married in Dec 1899. Right
                            > there are what I think
                            > are my James Elias, his wife, and their three
                            > children. Also on the
                            > same page is Martha Braxton, mother in law, is also
                            > living in the Thos
                            > Cannon household (with her daughter). So there is
                            > the whole family
                            > living in what is now the Hasting Ford area (along
                            > with the other
                            > Forbes family).
                            >
                            > Noah & Maggie Sutton, C.B. and Sallie Braxton, Jane
                            > Crawford and
                            > various other Harringtons/Pollards/Suttons/Forbes
                            > are buried in a small
                            > wooded area cemetery near where these folks lived
                            > near Hasting Ford.
                            >

                            > Karen
                            >
                            > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh
                            > <csinghworthington@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Dear Karen,
                            > > Julia Braxton Forbes was my great aunt if what
                            > you
                            > > are telling me is that she was the child of James
                            > > Elias Braxton and Sarah Sutton and the wife of
                            > Joseph
                            > > Forbes, I believe.
                            > > I have e-mailed Ann Vernelson a couple of times
                            > > with my questions, and she has shared information
                            > with
                            > > me. Later, Carol

                            Sponsored Link

                            Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate
                            Click now to apply http://yahoo.degrees.info