Re: [genpcncfir] THOMAS McLAWHORN

    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 2, 2006
      Dear Evelyn,
      Here is what I found in the Brides Index of Pitt
      County, Allen Churchill's book.
      Entry 2746 Peebles, Alice C. Father: William
      Peebles; Alice married 12/21/1880 to J. W. Gardner.
      Peebles, Nancy; father Howell Peebles; Nancy married
      Lafayette Briley on 11/6/1886.
      There is one Peeples. Entry 2758 is Lizzie
      Peeples. Dad was J. H. Peeples. Lizzie married A. Z.
      Wadsworth on 10/19/1898.
      Once I find a marriage record listing the father
      of the bride, but I want to know the parents of the
      father of the bride, I then go to Pitt County Death
      Records to see if I find a Death Record for the father
      of the bride. This double check is one way of
      confirming if I am on the right track.
      I throw this out for what it is worth. I have
      never had a methods course on family history, and I
      may be the only person on earth who uses this
      approach, so if I am all wet here, have a good laugh.
      I won't mind.
      Give me a few minutes, and I'll do my back
      tracking to see what else I can find. Carol

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 2, 2006
        Dear Evelyn,
        Some pay dirth on your Peebles. Bill Kittrell
        actually did the online listing of the Peebles
        Cemetery on Highway 43. He asked that anyone
        interested in Peebles men contact him. He has
        additional information.
        Here's what I have from the Peebles' Cemetery
        Transcriptions done by Bill Kittrell.
        William Peebles 8/22/1828 to 10/12/1891
        Howell Peebles Jr. 12/21/1831 to 3/17/1858
        Robert Peebles 9/20/1833 to 6/6/1896
        Joseph J. Peebles 3/8/1838 to 7/31/1856
        Henry Peebles 5/9/1825 to 12/10/1847
        Henry Peebles,Sr. died 3/13/1836--no birth date
        The on-line cemeteries at
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr is where I looked for
        your Peebles after checking the Pitt County Death
        Records where I found that "P" surnames have not yet
        been assigned to a researcher.
        Do give Bill Kitrell a try. He has as much
        information on Pitt County as any member of our group,
        and he has been able to answer just about everything I
        have ever asked him.
        I think the Peebles in this cemetery except for Sr.
        must have been related as all were born within few
        years of each other--brothers perhaps or possibly
        brothers and cousins. Later, Carol

      • kathryn lewis
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 2, 2006
          Excuse me, Carol, but I joined your group thinking I could learn more about my Moore County and Cumberland Cty ancestors, but I see you all are concentrating on Pitt County, so may I unsubscribe, please?

          Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote: Dear Evelyn,
          Some pay dirth on your Peebles. Bill Kittrell
          actually did the online listing of the Peebles
          Cemetery on Highway 43. He asked that anyone
          interested in Peebles men contact him. He has
          additional information.
          Here's what I have from the Peebles' Cemetery
          Transcriptions done by Bill Kittrell.
          William Peebles 8/22/1828 to 10/12/1891
          Howell Peebles Jr. 12/21/1831 to 3/17/1858
          Robert Peebles 9/20/1833 to 6/6/1896
          Joseph J. Peebles 3/8/1838 to 7/31/1856
          Henry Peebles 5/9/1825 to 12/10/1847
          Henry Peebles,Sr. died 3/13/1836--no birth date
          The on-line cemeteries at
          http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr is where I looked for
          your Peebles after checking the Pitt County Death
          Records where I found that "P" surnames have not yet
          been assigned to a researcher.
          Do give Bill Kitrell a try. He has as much
          information on Pitt County as any member of our group,
          and he has been able to answer just about everything I
          have ever asked him.
          I think the Peebles in this cemetery except for Sr.
          must have been related as all were born within few
          years of each other--brothers perhaps or possibly
          brothers and cousins. Later, Carol

          --- Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:

          > Carol,
          > I don't know the date range of the marriages, but if
          > you have time will you see if any marriages are
          > mentioned for anyone with last name of
          > Peopples/Peebles/Peeples. My great-great grandfather
          > was Howell Peoples, b. abt. 1800-1810. He married
          > someone with the name of Clary/Clara--last name
          > unknown. I found a clue the other day that his name
          > may have been William H. Peoples. At least I found
          > someone in the right area at the right time that
          > could possibly be him. I know Pitt records are few
          > and far between, but I keep hoping. He lived in the
          > Falkland area.
          > Thank you.
          > Evelyn Hendricks

          North carolina home Coastal north carolina real estate North carolina real estate North carolina Genealogy research

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 3, 2006
            Kathryn Lewis,
            "DON'T" unsubscribe!!! Who are you looking for?
            Throw out some names and maybe, some one can help or look things up for you.
            We are located all-over NC...They sure helped me...
            Linda Bottoms Bass

            > Excuse me, Carol, but I joined your group thinking I could learn more
            about my Moore County and Cumberland Cty ancestors, but I see you all are
            concentrating on Pitt County, so may I unsubscribe, please?

            > Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote: Dear Evelyn,
            > Some pay dirth on your Peebles. Bill Kittrell
            > actually did the online listing of the Peebles
            > Cemetery on Highway 43. He asked that anyone
            > interested in Peebles men contact him. He has
            > additional information.
            > Here's what I have from the Peebles' Cemetery
            > Transcriptions done by Bill Kittrell.
            > William Peebles 8/22/1828 to 10/12/1891
            > Howell Peebles Jr. 12/21/1831 to 3/17/1858
            > Robert Peebles 9/20/1833 to 6/6/1896
            > Joseph J. Peebles 3/8/1838 to 7/31/1856
            > Henry Peebles 5/9/1825 to 12/10/1847
            > Henry Peebles,Sr. died 3/13/1836--no birth date
            > The on-line cemeteries at
            > http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr is where I looked for
            > your Peebles after checking the Pitt County Death
            > Records where I found that "P" surnames have not yet
            > been assigned to a researcher.
            > Do give Bill Kitrell a try. He has as much
            > information on Pitt County as any member of our group,
            > and he has been able to answer just about everything I
            > have ever asked him.
            > I think the Peebles in this cemetery except for Sr.
            > must have been related as all were born within few
            > years of each other--brothers perhaps or possibly
            > brothers and cousins. Later, Carol
            >

            > --- Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Carol,
            > > I don't know the date range of the marriages, but if
            > > you have time will you see if any marriages are
            > > mentioned for anyone with last name of
            > > Peopples/Peebles/Peeples. My great-great grandfather
            > > was Howell Peoples, b. abt. 1800-1810. He married
            > > someone with the name of Clary/Clara--last name
            > > unknown. I found a clue the other day that his name
            > > may have been William H. Peoples. At least I found
            > > someone in the right area at the right time that
            > > could possibly be him. I know Pitt records are few
            > > and far between, but I keep hoping. He lived in the
            > > Falkland area.
            > > Thank you.
            > > Evelyn Hendricks

          • Marcia McLawhorn
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
              Dear Bill,
              I try to keep up with the mail, but to no avail. I am
              now up to 1450 unread messages. I couldn't find your
              original request for this info.

              Much of this information is from Leah McGlohon in "The
              Adam McGlohon-McLawhorn Family of Pitt County, NC"
              ________________________________

              Thomas McLawhorn is the 10th child of the 11 children
              for Warren J. McGlawhon, Sr. with his second wife,
              Alice 'Allie' Baker. Warren and Allie were married in
              Pitt County on 21 Aug 1833. She must have died before
              Warren's third marriage on 04 Apr 1866 in Bertie
              County to Martha Alice L. Meeks (1827-1894). There
              were no children by Warren's first wife.

              Thomas' wife, Elizabeth 'Betty' Meeks, died in Jun
              1928 in Greenville, SC. I have only two children from
              this union: Walter Raleigh McLawhorn, Sr. [1884-1958]
              & Viola Catherine McLawhorn (born 1890).

              Walter Raleigh's wfe is Lula Carpenter. They had four
              children, all of whom are deceased. Catherine married
              Andrew Scoggin. I have only one son [he may still be
              alive] from this union.

              Did you want any specific info?

              > Dear Bill,
              > As you noted, the marriage took place in Martin
              > County. Let me run a quick check. I'm not finding my
              > Gatsy Ann Meeks in Allen Churchill's Brides Index
              > either. Back with you in a few. Carol
              >
              > --- Bill Kittrell <wbk99@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Any information on this Thomas McLawhorn, married
              > in
              > > Martin County, NC
              > >
              > > Thomas McLawhorn (b. ca 1856) age 27 m. July 1,
              > 1883
              > > Betty Meeks (b. ca 1861) age 22 States Thomas
              > is
              > > from Pitt County, no parents for either.

              > > removed]

              > protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Marcia McLawhorn
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                Bill,

                There was some info I overlooked.

                Thomas McLawhorn died before 1920 Census.

                Walter was born in Grifton (Pitt). His first born,
                Bernard Carlysle McLawhorn born in Pitt county,
                The second (third and forth) son was born in
                Greenville, SC on 22 Nov 1913.

                Walter Raleigh moved from Pitt County to Greenville,
                South Carolina between 1911 and 1913, with his wife,
                infant son Bernard and parents. They are buried in
                Greenville South Carolina.

                Marcia

                --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>

              • Marcia McLawhorn
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                  Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's book,
                  entry 2746:

                  Peebles, Alice C. [Father: William Peebles] married
                  12/21/1880 to J. W. Gardner.

                  1) Could this be the J. W. Gardner, son of E. T. &
                  Eliza Gardner of Swift Creek, Edgecombe County?

                  2) Could this J. W. Gardner be James William Gardner,
                  son of James Bailey (b:08 May 1828 in Edgecombe
                  County; d:1913 in Wilson County) and Peninah [Batts]
                  Gardner born 1865?

                  If so, James William Gardner's mother died 1867, when
                  he was two and his father married again and had
                  another family with her.
                  Marcia

                • Marcia McLawhorn
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                    Per Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's
                    book, entry unknown:

                    Peebles, Nancy [Father: Howell Peebles] married
                    11/6/1886 Lafayette Briley.

                    Could this father be Howell Peopples, husband of Clara
                    'Clary' Phillips?
                    If so, I have two other daughters for him: Sally who
                    married Hardy Skinner; and Mary (b: 07 Mar 1854), who
                    married William Wright Price (1849-1913) on 24 Mar
                    1877.

                    I don't have a Lafayette Briley. Could L. V. Briley be
                    he?

                    Marcia

                  • Evelyn Hendricks
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                      Thank you, Marcia and Carol. That Nancy is probably the correct one. I did not realize that she ever married. There was a letter in my grandmother's trunk on which had on the envelope that it concerned Aunt Nancy's death. Nancy was born in 1847 so she apparently married rather later than was the usual in that area. Now that gives another line to check.

                      Howelll Peopples and his wife died sometime between the time of the 1860 Census and the 1870 Census. I would dearly love to find the names of Howell's parents--also the maiden name of Clara's parents. Someone suggested to me once that she could have been a Phillips, but I have not been able to make a connection.
                      Per Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's
                      book, entry unknown:

                      Peebles, Nancy [Father: Howell Peebles] married
                      11/6/1886 Lafayette Briley.

                      Could this father be Howell Peopples, husband of Clara
                      'Clary' Phillips?
                      If so, I have two other daughters for him: Sally who
                      married Hardy Skinner; and Mary (b: 07 Mar 1854), who
                      married William Wright Price (1849-1913) on 24 Mar
                      1877.

                      I don't have a Lafayette Briley. Could L. V. Briley be
                      he?

                      Marcia

                      > Dear Evelyn,
                      > Here is what I found in the Brides Index of Pitt
                      > County, Allen Churchill's book.
                      > Entry 2746 Peebles, Alice C. Father: William
                      > Peebles; Alice married 12/21/1880 to J. W. Gardner.
                      > Peebles, Nancy; father Howell Peebles; Nancy married
                      > Lafayette Briley on 11/6/1886.
                      > There is one Peeples. Entry 2758 is Lizzie
                      > Peeples. Dad was J. H. Peeples. Lizzie married A. Z.
                      > Wadsworth on 10/19/1898.
                      > Once I find a marriage record listing the
                      > father
                      > of the bride, but I want to know the parents of the
                      > father of the bride, I then go to Pitt County Death
                      > Records to see if I find a Death Record for the
                      > father
                      > of the bride. This double check is one way of
                      > confirming if I am on the right track.
                      > I throw this out for what it is worth. I have
                      > never had a methods course on family history, and I
                      > may be the only person on earth who uses this
                      > approach, so if I am all wet here, have a good
                      > laugh.
                      > I won't mind.
                      > Give me a few minutes, and I'll do my back
                      > tracking to see what else I can find. Carol
                      >
                      > --- Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Carol,
                      > > I don't know the date range of the marriages, but
                      > if
                      > > you have time will you see if any marriages are
                      > > mentioned for anyone with last name of
                      > > Peopples/Peebles/Peeples. My great-great
                      > grandfather
                      > > was Howell Peoples, b. abt. 1800-1810. He married
                      > > someone with the name of Clary/Clara--last name
                      > > unknown. I found a clue the other day that his
                      > name
                      > > may have been William H. Peoples. At least I
                      > found
                      > > someone in the right area at the right time that
                      > > could possibly be him. I know Pitt records are few
                      > > and far between, but I keep hoping. He lived in
                      > the
                      > > Falkland area.
                      > > Thank you.
                      > > Evelyn Hendricks

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Marcia McLawhorn
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                        Per Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's
                        book, entry unknown:

                        Peebles, Nancy [Father: Howell Peebles] married
                        11/6/1886 Lafayette Briley.

                        I looked on the 1880 census for Lafayette Briley. In
                        all NC, there were 403 Lafayettes; He was not one of
                        them. He must not be using Lafayette as his name.

                        Searching Briley in Pitt County with an initial "L"
                        James L. BRYLEY, age 27 single in Belvoir
                        W. L. BRILEY, age 52, married in Greenville with large
                        family
                        ...his son, Joseph L. BRILEY, age 18 Single

                        No Briley in Greene or Craven Counties.

                        BUT, it is interesting that Nancy Peoples is workig as
                        a servant in Blaney & Jack Eliza Joyner's home in
                        Farmville (Pitt) and right next door lives 23 year old
                        Lafayett Braxton. He and his brother are farming &
                        supporting his widowed mother and sister.

                        Anyone have any input?

                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                          Are there any Haywood Baker marriages in that book? What about Hobbs
                          marriages?

                          Paula Anne Baker
                          paulabaker69@...
                          Greene County NC

                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                            I agree with Carol. Throw out a name and an approximate date and a county.
                            Are you looking for a marriage record? A death record? Give it to us and
                            see what we can do.

                            Paula Anne Baker
                            paulabaker69@...
                            Greene County NC

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                              Did not see anything on Haywood Baker. In the Pitt Compendium of Marriages
                              is the following which you probably have.

                              John Baker m. Mary Grizzard 2 Mar 1854 Sherrod Tison, JP
                              John T. Baker m. Nancy Haughton 25 Dec 1851 Lambert P. Beardsley, JP

                              Now these marriages were taken from the deed section of the book.
                              Deed Book CC-515 22 Sept 1824 Abraham Baker and Mary Taylor, dau of Joseph
                              Taylor of Greene Co.
                              Deed Book EE-384 14 Nov 1828 Emanuel Baker and Annis _______

                              There were some other Baker marriages in the book.

                            • eahsr1667@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                                In a message dated 3/4/2006 5:07:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                marcia_mclawhorn@... writes:
                                2) Could this J. W. Gardner be James William Gardner,
                                son of James Bailey (b:08 May 1828 in Edgecombe
                                County; d:1913 in Wilson County) and Peninah [Batts]
                                Gardner born 1865?

                                If so, James William Gardner's mother died 1867, when
                                he was two and his father married again and had
                                another family with her.
                                Marcia
                                I don't have any names of children for James Baily Gardner who married
                                Peninah Batts on September 15, 1853, but there apparently was a "good big family" of
                                children with Peninah Batts.

                                However, this is from one of the aunts on the Gardner side:

                                Their mother (Dilda) owned the farm and had married J. Bailey Gardner, who
                                had already been married and had a "good big family" at the time. He was quite
                                an imbiber and by the time Benjamin Elexander was 14, his father reached the
                                point that he would get mad and walk off the farm & go to one of his "older
                                children," leaving Benjamin, who was a great big boy, to do the farming.

                                James Bailey Gardner later lived in the City of Wilson in 1913.

                                Faye Hays

                              • Marcia McLawhorn
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 5, 2006
                                  Faye,
                                  This is what I see on 1880 Census:

                                  possible children for these marriages - unknown if
                                  complete list....
                                  ___________________________

                                  James Bailey Gardner & Peninah Batts
                                  ..Sally Ann - may have married Berry Strickland
                                  in Toisnot, Wilson, North Carolina, Page 318D
                                  ..Rebecca A. [couldn't find]
                                  ..Josiah - may have been renamed Joseph
                                  - may have married Evelina ?
                                  in Toisnot, Wilson, North Carolina, Page 318D
                                  ..Wiley R. - may have been renamed Willie
                                  in Toisnot, Wilson, North Carolina, Page 318D
                                  ..Louisa 'Lou' - has 3 children with Gardner surname
                                  her brother Willie lives with her
                                  in Toisnot, Wilson, North Carolina, Page 318D
                                  ..James William, birth 1865
                                  ___________________________

                                  James Bailey Gardner & Mary Elizabeth 'Elizabeth'
                                  Dilda
                                  Benjamin, age 10
                                  Elizabeth, age 8
                                  Charley E., age 6
                                  Warren, age 3
                                  Jonas Bailey, birth 30 Oct 1878
                                  in Saratoga, Wilson, North Carolina, Page 362C
                                  ___________________________

                                  As many of us know, it very difficult to deal with a
                                  drunk.

                                  Marcia

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 6, 2006
                                    Dear Kathryn,
                                    Please don't be offended. We have our runs on
                                    various counties. We sometimes go for months without
                                    writing a thing about Pitt.
                                    True, many of us are also members of the Pitt
                                    County Family Researchers, and perhaps the majority of
                                    us (myself included) were born in Pitt. However, few
                                    of us actually came from Pitt.
                                    I'd love to know more about Moore County. Many of
                                    our Pitt ancestors are Moores, and I imagine that the
                                    county bearing their surname has some Moore families
                                    in it.
                                    Tell us about Cumberland County. Give us your
                                    surnames. I think you will be surprised at the
                                    response you will get to your queries.
                                    Then, if still you want to unsubscribe to our
                                    group, send an e-mail to Jewelle Baker, but before you
                                    do, give her a chance to address your concerns. I
                                    think you'll find that she lives up to her Christian
                                    name.
                                    Thank you so very much for sharing your feelings.
                                    Nobody has meant to be exclusive, rude, or selfish.
                                    Later, Carol

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 6, 2006
                                      Kathryn,
                                      Have you t ried the Cumberland Co. list? I found it very helpful in finding my Cumberland Co. ancestors.
                                      Evelyn

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 25, 2006
                                        Yes, this appears to be the correct one. I never would have thought to look for Briley. I have never been able to find marriage records for Pitt Co. that went back that far. Thank you so much for sending this. It gives me an entire new direction to follow.
                                        Evelyn

                                        wrote:

                                        > Per Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's
                                        > book, entry unknown:
                                        >
                                        > Peebles, Nancy [Father: Howell Peebles] married
                                        > 11/6/1886 Lafayette Briley.
                                        >
                                        > Could this father be Howell Peopples, husband of
                                        > Clara 'Clary' Phillips?
                                        > If so, I have two other daughters for him: Sally who
                                        > married Hardy Skinner; and Mary (b: 07 Mar 1854),
                                        > who married William Wright Price (1849-1913) on
                                        > 24 Mar 24 Mar 1877.
                                        >
                                        > I don't have a Lafayette Briley. Could L. V. Briley
                                        > be he?
                                        >
                                        > Marcia

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 25, 2006
                                          Dear Evelyn & Marcia,
                                          I will look up Lafayette Braxton this evening and
                                          see what I find. We do have Braxtons marrying into
                                          this line. Later, Carol

                                        • Catherine
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 25, 2006
                                            My great aunt is 90 and was married to a Briley. She is still living. I'll give her a call this week and ask if she remembers anything of her husbands family.

                                            Catherine

                                            wrote:

                                            > Per Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's
                                            > book, entry unknown:
                                            >
                                            > Peebles, Nancy [Father: Howell Peebles] married
                                            > 11/6/1886 Lafayette Briley.
                                            >
                                            > Could this father be Howell Peopples, husband of
                                            > Clara 'Clary' Phillips?
                                            > If so, I have two other daughters for him: Sally who
                                            > married Hardy Skinner; and Mary (b: 07 Mar 1854),
                                            > who married William Wright Price (1849-1913) on
                                            > 24 Mar 24 Mar 1877.
                                            >
                                            > I don't have a Lafayette Briley. Could L. V. Briley
                                            > be he?
                                            >
                                            > Marcia

                                            Yahoo! Groups Links