Re: [genpcncfir] THOMAS McLAWHORN

    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 2, 2006
      Dear Bill,
      I didn't find your Betty Meeks or Thomas McLawhorn.
      The Betty Meeks I found in Pitt in Allen Churchill's
      book had married in 1873to Jason Tugwell. The dad is
      not listed. There is a ? in that space. Could there
      have been a prior marriage to the McLawhorn one? Carol

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 2, 2006
        Dear Bill,
        From my Martin County search, I did find two
        daughters of my cousin Darling Cherry having married
        there. I never would have known anything at all about
        them had it not been for my interest in your question.
        I do not even recall Darling Cherry's having married!
        It's amazing the information that does not get passed
        down, isn't it.
        I do recall Uncle Mark's having talked to us about
        our having relatives in Craven, Pitt, Edgecombe, Hyde,
        and Martin counties. I was about eight or nine years
        old. We were home from school on our Christmas break.
        Uncle Mark, as usual after feeding the animals, came
        in from the barn and sat with us in Mama's room around
        her big heater.
        We always brought him our apples and oranges to
        peel and our nuts to crack. Often he told us stories
        as he peeled our fruit and shelled our nuts.
        None of us four ever tired of hearing about the
        family and about when Uncle Mark and Mama and Uncle
        Poe were growing up.
        There are also Deed records in addition to the
        marriage records at the Martin County Link. I'll run
        back over to Martin, if you will excuse me, and see
        what the land records have to offer on your Meeks and
        McLawhorn. Later, Carol

        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 2, 2006
          Dear Evelyn,
          Here is what I found in the Brides Index of Pitt
          County, Allen Churchill's book.
          Entry 2746 Peebles, Alice C. Father: William
          Peebles; Alice married 12/21/1880 to J. W. Gardner.
          Peebles, Nancy; father Howell Peebles; Nancy married
          Lafayette Briley on 11/6/1886.
          There is one Peeples. Entry 2758 is Lizzie
          Peeples. Dad was J. H. Peeples. Lizzie married A. Z.
          Wadsworth on 10/19/1898.
          Once I find a marriage record listing the father
          of the bride, but I want to know the parents of the
          father of the bride, I then go to Pitt County Death
          Records to see if I find a Death Record for the father
          of the bride. This double check is one way of
          confirming if I am on the right track.
          I throw this out for what it is worth. I have
          never had a methods course on family history, and I
          may be the only person on earth who uses this
          approach, so if I am all wet here, have a good laugh.
          I won't mind.
          Give me a few minutes, and I'll do my back
          tracking to see what else I can find. Carol

          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 2, 2006
            Dear Evelyn,
            Some pay dirth on your Peebles. Bill Kittrell
            actually did the online listing of the Peebles
            Cemetery on Highway 43. He asked that anyone
            interested in Peebles men contact him. He has
            additional information.
            Here's what I have from the Peebles' Cemetery
            Transcriptions done by Bill Kittrell.
            William Peebles 8/22/1828 to 10/12/1891
            Howell Peebles Jr. 12/21/1831 to 3/17/1858
            Robert Peebles 9/20/1833 to 6/6/1896
            Joseph J. Peebles 3/8/1838 to 7/31/1856
            Henry Peebles 5/9/1825 to 12/10/1847
            Henry Peebles,Sr. died 3/13/1836--no birth date
            The on-line cemeteries at
            http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr is where I looked for
            your Peebles after checking the Pitt County Death
            Records where I found that "P" surnames have not yet
            been assigned to a researcher.
            Do give Bill Kitrell a try. He has as much
            information on Pitt County as any member of our group,
            and he has been able to answer just about everything I
            have ever asked him.
            I think the Peebles in this cemetery except for Sr.
            must have been related as all were born within few
            years of each other--brothers perhaps or possibly
            brothers and cousins. Later, Carol

          • kathryn lewis
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 2, 2006
              Excuse me, Carol, but I joined your group thinking I could learn more about my Moore County and Cumberland Cty ancestors, but I see you all are concentrating on Pitt County, so may I unsubscribe, please?

              Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote: Dear Evelyn,
              Some pay dirth on your Peebles. Bill Kittrell
              actually did the online listing of the Peebles
              Cemetery on Highway 43. He asked that anyone
              interested in Peebles men contact him. He has
              additional information.
              Here's what I have from the Peebles' Cemetery
              Transcriptions done by Bill Kittrell.
              William Peebles 8/22/1828 to 10/12/1891
              Howell Peebles Jr. 12/21/1831 to 3/17/1858
              Robert Peebles 9/20/1833 to 6/6/1896
              Joseph J. Peebles 3/8/1838 to 7/31/1856
              Henry Peebles 5/9/1825 to 12/10/1847
              Henry Peebles,Sr. died 3/13/1836--no birth date
              The on-line cemeteries at
              http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr is where I looked for
              your Peebles after checking the Pitt County Death
              Records where I found that "P" surnames have not yet
              been assigned to a researcher.
              Do give Bill Kitrell a try. He has as much
              information on Pitt County as any member of our group,
              and he has been able to answer just about everything I
              have ever asked him.
              I think the Peebles in this cemetery except for Sr.
              must have been related as all were born within few
              years of each other--brothers perhaps or possibly
              brothers and cousins. Later, Carol

              --- Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:

              > Carol,
              > I don't know the date range of the marriages, but if
              > you have time will you see if any marriages are
              > mentioned for anyone with last name of
              > Peopples/Peebles/Peeples. My great-great grandfather
              > was Howell Peoples, b. abt. 1800-1810. He married
              > someone with the name of Clary/Clara--last name
              > unknown. I found a clue the other day that his name
              > may have been William H. Peoples. At least I found
              > someone in the right area at the right time that
              > could possibly be him. I know Pitt records are few
              > and far between, but I keep hoping. He lived in the
              > Falkland area.
              > Thank you.
              > Evelyn Hendricks

              North carolina home Coastal north carolina real estate North carolina real estate North carolina Genealogy research

              ---------------------------------

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 3, 2006
                Kathryn Lewis,
                "DON'T" unsubscribe!!! Who are you looking for?
                Throw out some names and maybe, some one can help or look things up for you.
                We are located all-over NC...They sure helped me...
                Linda Bottoms Bass

                > Excuse me, Carol, but I joined your group thinking I could learn more
                about my Moore County and Cumberland Cty ancestors, but I see you all are
                concentrating on Pitt County, so may I unsubscribe, please?

                > Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote: Dear Evelyn,
                > Some pay dirth on your Peebles. Bill Kittrell
                > actually did the online listing of the Peebles
                > Cemetery on Highway 43. He asked that anyone
                > interested in Peebles men contact him. He has
                > additional information.
                > Here's what I have from the Peebles' Cemetery
                > Transcriptions done by Bill Kittrell.
                > William Peebles 8/22/1828 to 10/12/1891
                > Howell Peebles Jr. 12/21/1831 to 3/17/1858
                > Robert Peebles 9/20/1833 to 6/6/1896
                > Joseph J. Peebles 3/8/1838 to 7/31/1856
                > Henry Peebles 5/9/1825 to 12/10/1847
                > Henry Peebles,Sr. died 3/13/1836--no birth date
                > The on-line cemeteries at
                > http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr is where I looked for
                > your Peebles after checking the Pitt County Death
                > Records where I found that "P" surnames have not yet
                > been assigned to a researcher.
                > Do give Bill Kitrell a try. He has as much
                > information on Pitt County as any member of our group,
                > and he has been able to answer just about everything I
                > have ever asked him.
                > I think the Peebles in this cemetery except for Sr.
                > must have been related as all were born within few
                > years of each other--brothers perhaps or possibly
                > brothers and cousins. Later, Carol
                >

                > --- Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Carol,
                > > I don't know the date range of the marriages, but if
                > > you have time will you see if any marriages are
                > > mentioned for anyone with last name of
                > > Peopples/Peebles/Peeples. My great-great grandfather
                > > was Howell Peoples, b. abt. 1800-1810. He married
                > > someone with the name of Clary/Clara--last name
                > > unknown. I found a clue the other day that his name
                > > may have been William H. Peoples. At least I found
                > > someone in the right area at the right time that
                > > could possibly be him. I know Pitt records are few
                > > and far between, but I keep hoping. He lived in the
                > > Falkland area.
                > > Thank you.
                > > Evelyn Hendricks

              • Marcia McLawhorn
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                  Dear Bill,
                  I try to keep up with the mail, but to no avail. I am
                  now up to 1450 unread messages. I couldn't find your
                  original request for this info.

                  Much of this information is from Leah McGlohon in "The
                  Adam McGlohon-McLawhorn Family of Pitt County, NC"
                  ________________________________

                  Thomas McLawhorn is the 10th child of the 11 children
                  for Warren J. McGlawhon, Sr. with his second wife,
                  Alice 'Allie' Baker. Warren and Allie were married in
                  Pitt County on 21 Aug 1833. She must have died before
                  Warren's third marriage on 04 Apr 1866 in Bertie
                  County to Martha Alice L. Meeks (1827-1894). There
                  were no children by Warren's first wife.

                  Thomas' wife, Elizabeth 'Betty' Meeks, died in Jun
                  1928 in Greenville, SC. I have only two children from
                  this union: Walter Raleigh McLawhorn, Sr. [1884-1958]
                  & Viola Catherine McLawhorn (born 1890).

                  Walter Raleigh's wfe is Lula Carpenter. They had four
                  children, all of whom are deceased. Catherine married
                  Andrew Scoggin. I have only one son [he may still be
                  alive] from this union.

                  Did you want any specific info?

                  > Dear Bill,
                  > As you noted, the marriage took place in Martin
                  > County. Let me run a quick check. I'm not finding my
                  > Gatsy Ann Meeks in Allen Churchill's Brides Index
                  > either. Back with you in a few. Carol
                  >
                  > --- Bill Kittrell <wbk99@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Any information on this Thomas McLawhorn, married
                  > in
                  > > Martin County, NC
                  > >
                  > > Thomas McLawhorn (b. ca 1856) age 27 m. July 1,
                  > 1883
                  > > Betty Meeks (b. ca 1861) age 22 States Thomas
                  > is
                  > > from Pitt County, no parents for either.

                  > > removed]

                  > protection around
                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Marcia McLawhorn
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                    Bill,

                    There was some info I overlooked.

                    Thomas McLawhorn died before 1920 Census.

                    Walter was born in Grifton (Pitt). His first born,
                    Bernard Carlysle McLawhorn born in Pitt county,
                    The second (third and forth) son was born in
                    Greenville, SC on 22 Nov 1913.

                    Walter Raleigh moved from Pitt County to Greenville,
                    South Carolina between 1911 and 1913, with his wife,
                    infant son Bernard and parents. They are buried in
                    Greenville South Carolina.

                    Marcia

                    --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>

                  • Marcia McLawhorn
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                      Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's book,
                      entry 2746:

                      Peebles, Alice C. [Father: William Peebles] married
                      12/21/1880 to J. W. Gardner.

                      1) Could this be the J. W. Gardner, son of E. T. &
                      Eliza Gardner of Swift Creek, Edgecombe County?

                      2) Could this J. W. Gardner be James William Gardner,
                      son of James Bailey (b:08 May 1828 in Edgecombe
                      County; d:1913 in Wilson County) and Peninah [Batts]
                      Gardner born 1865?

                      If so, James William Gardner's mother died 1867, when
                      he was two and his father married again and had
                      another family with her.
                      Marcia

                    • Marcia McLawhorn
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                        Per Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's
                        book, entry unknown:

                        Peebles, Nancy [Father: Howell Peebles] married
                        11/6/1886 Lafayette Briley.

                        Could this father be Howell Peopples, husband of Clara
                        'Clary' Phillips?
                        If so, I have two other daughters for him: Sally who
                        married Hardy Skinner; and Mary (b: 07 Mar 1854), who
                        married William Wright Price (1849-1913) on 24 Mar
                        1877.

                        I don't have a Lafayette Briley. Could L. V. Briley be
                        he?

                        Marcia

                      • Evelyn Hendricks
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                          Thank you, Marcia and Carol. That Nancy is probably the correct one. I did not realize that she ever married. There was a letter in my grandmother's trunk on which had on the envelope that it concerned Aunt Nancy's death. Nancy was born in 1847 so she apparently married rather later than was the usual in that area. Now that gives another line to check.

                          Howelll Peopples and his wife died sometime between the time of the 1860 Census and the 1870 Census. I would dearly love to find the names of Howell's parents--also the maiden name of Clara's parents. Someone suggested to me once that she could have been a Phillips, but I have not been able to make a connection.
                          Per Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's
                          book, entry unknown:

                          Peebles, Nancy [Father: Howell Peebles] married
                          11/6/1886 Lafayette Briley.

                          Could this father be Howell Peopples, husband of Clara
                          'Clary' Phillips?
                          If so, I have two other daughters for him: Sally who
                          married Hardy Skinner; and Mary (b: 07 Mar 1854), who
                          married William Wright Price (1849-1913) on 24 Mar
                          1877.

                          I don't have a Lafayette Briley. Could L. V. Briley be
                          he?

                          Marcia

                          > Dear Evelyn,
                          > Here is what I found in the Brides Index of Pitt
                          > County, Allen Churchill's book.
                          > Entry 2746 Peebles, Alice C. Father: William
                          > Peebles; Alice married 12/21/1880 to J. W. Gardner.
                          > Peebles, Nancy; father Howell Peebles; Nancy married
                          > Lafayette Briley on 11/6/1886.
                          > There is one Peeples. Entry 2758 is Lizzie
                          > Peeples. Dad was J. H. Peeples. Lizzie married A. Z.
                          > Wadsworth on 10/19/1898.
                          > Once I find a marriage record listing the
                          > father
                          > of the bride, but I want to know the parents of the
                          > father of the bride, I then go to Pitt County Death
                          > Records to see if I find a Death Record for the
                          > father
                          > of the bride. This double check is one way of
                          > confirming if I am on the right track.
                          > I throw this out for what it is worth. I have
                          > never had a methods course on family history, and I
                          > may be the only person on earth who uses this
                          > approach, so if I am all wet here, have a good
                          > laugh.
                          > I won't mind.
                          > Give me a few minutes, and I'll do my back
                          > tracking to see what else I can find. Carol
                          >
                          > --- Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Carol,
                          > > I don't know the date range of the marriages, but
                          > if
                          > > you have time will you see if any marriages are
                          > > mentioned for anyone with last name of
                          > > Peopples/Peebles/Peeples. My great-great
                          > grandfather
                          > > was Howell Peoples, b. abt. 1800-1810. He married
                          > > someone with the name of Clary/Clara--last name
                          > > unknown. I found a clue the other day that his
                          > name
                          > > may have been William H. Peoples. At least I
                          > found
                          > > someone in the right area at the right time that
                          > > could possibly be him. I know Pitt records are few
                          > > and far between, but I keep hoping. He lived in
                          > the
                          > > Falkland area.
                          > > Thank you.
                          > > Evelyn Hendricks

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Marcia McLawhorn
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                            Per Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's
                            book, entry unknown:

                            Peebles, Nancy [Father: Howell Peebles] married
                            11/6/1886 Lafayette Briley.

                            I looked on the 1880 census for Lafayette Briley. In
                            all NC, there were 403 Lafayettes; He was not one of
                            them. He must not be using Lafayette as his name.

                            Searching Briley in Pitt County with an initial "L"
                            James L. BRYLEY, age 27 single in Belvoir
                            W. L. BRILEY, age 52, married in Greenville with large
                            family
                            ...his son, Joseph L. BRILEY, age 18 Single

                            No Briley in Greene or Craven Counties.

                            BUT, it is interesting that Nancy Peoples is workig as
                            a servant in Blaney & Jack Eliza Joyner's home in
                            Farmville (Pitt) and right next door lives 23 year old
                            Lafayett Braxton. He and his brother are farming &
                            supporting his widowed mother and sister.

                            Anyone have any input?

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                              Are there any Haywood Baker marriages in that book? What about Hobbs
                              marriages?

                              Paula Anne Baker
                              paulabaker69@...
                              Greene County NC

                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                                I agree with Carol. Throw out a name and an approximate date and a county.
                                Are you looking for a marriage record? A death record? Give it to us and
                                see what we can do.

                                Paula Anne Baker
                                paulabaker69@...
                                Greene County NC

                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                                  Did not see anything on Haywood Baker. In the Pitt Compendium of Marriages
                                  is the following which you probably have.

                                  John Baker m. Mary Grizzard 2 Mar 1854 Sherrod Tison, JP
                                  John T. Baker m. Nancy Haughton 25 Dec 1851 Lambert P. Beardsley, JP

                                  Now these marriages were taken from the deed section of the book.
                                  Deed Book CC-515 22 Sept 1824 Abraham Baker and Mary Taylor, dau of Joseph
                                  Taylor of Greene Co.
                                  Deed Book EE-384 14 Nov 1828 Emanuel Baker and Annis _______

                                  There were some other Baker marriages in the book.

                                • eahsr1667@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 4, 2006
                                    In a message dated 3/4/2006 5:07:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                    marcia_mclawhorn@... writes:
                                    2) Could this J. W. Gardner be James William Gardner,
                                    son of James Bailey (b:08 May 1828 in Edgecombe
                                    County; d:1913 in Wilson County) and Peninah [Batts]
                                    Gardner born 1865?

                                    If so, James William Gardner's mother died 1867, when
                                    he was two and his father married again and had
                                    another family with her.
                                    Marcia
                                    I don't have any names of children for James Baily Gardner who married
                                    Peninah Batts on September 15, 1853, but there apparently was a "good big family" of
                                    children with Peninah Batts.

                                    However, this is from one of the aunts on the Gardner side:

                                    Their mother (Dilda) owned the farm and had married J. Bailey Gardner, who
                                    had already been married and had a "good big family" at the time. He was quite
                                    an imbiber and by the time Benjamin Elexander was 14, his father reached the
                                    point that he would get mad and walk off the farm & go to one of his "older
                                    children," leaving Benjamin, who was a great big boy, to do the farming.

                                    James Bailey Gardner later lived in the City of Wilson in 1913.

                                    Faye Hays

                                  • Marcia McLawhorn
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 5, 2006
                                      Faye,
                                      This is what I see on 1880 Census:

                                      possible children for these marriages - unknown if
                                      complete list....
                                      ___________________________

                                      James Bailey Gardner & Peninah Batts
                                      ..Sally Ann - may have married Berry Strickland
                                      in Toisnot, Wilson, North Carolina, Page 318D
                                      ..Rebecca A. [couldn't find]
                                      ..Josiah - may have been renamed Joseph
                                      - may have married Evelina ?
                                      in Toisnot, Wilson, North Carolina, Page 318D
                                      ..Wiley R. - may have been renamed Willie
                                      in Toisnot, Wilson, North Carolina, Page 318D
                                      ..Louisa 'Lou' - has 3 children with Gardner surname
                                      her brother Willie lives with her
                                      in Toisnot, Wilson, North Carolina, Page 318D
                                      ..James William, birth 1865
                                      ___________________________

                                      James Bailey Gardner & Mary Elizabeth 'Elizabeth'
                                      Dilda
                                      Benjamin, age 10
                                      Elizabeth, age 8
                                      Charley E., age 6
                                      Warren, age 3
                                      Jonas Bailey, birth 30 Oct 1878
                                      in Saratoga, Wilson, North Carolina, Page 362C
                                      ___________________________

                                      As many of us know, it very difficult to deal with a
                                      drunk.

                                      Marcia

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 6, 2006
                                        Dear Kathryn,
                                        Please don't be offended. We have our runs on
                                        various counties. We sometimes go for months without
                                        writing a thing about Pitt.
                                        True, many of us are also members of the Pitt
                                        County Family Researchers, and perhaps the majority of
                                        us (myself included) were born in Pitt. However, few
                                        of us actually came from Pitt.
                                        I'd love to know more about Moore County. Many of
                                        our Pitt ancestors are Moores, and I imagine that the
                                        county bearing their surname has some Moore families
                                        in it.
                                        Tell us about Cumberland County. Give us your
                                        surnames. I think you will be surprised at the
                                        response you will get to your queries.
                                        Then, if still you want to unsubscribe to our
                                        group, send an e-mail to Jewelle Baker, but before you
                                        do, give her a chance to address your concerns. I
                                        think you'll find that she lives up to her Christian
                                        name.
                                        Thank you so very much for sharing your feelings.
                                        Nobody has meant to be exclusive, rude, or selfish.
                                        Later, Carol

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 6, 2006
                                          Kathryn,
                                          Have you t ried the Cumberland Co. list? I found it very helpful in finding my Cumberland Co. ancestors.
                                          Evelyn

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 25, 2006
                                            Yes, this appears to be the correct one. I never would have thought to look for Briley. I have never been able to find marriage records for Pitt Co. that went back that far. Thank you so much for sending this. It gives me an entire new direction to follow.
                                            Evelyn

                                            wrote:

                                            > Per Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's
                                            > book, entry unknown:
                                            >
                                            > Peebles, Nancy [Father: Howell Peebles] married
                                            > 11/6/1886 Lafayette Briley.
                                            >
                                            > Could this father be Howell Peopples, husband of
                                            > Clara 'Clary' Phillips?
                                            > If so, I have two other daughters for him: Sally who
                                            > married Hardy Skinner; and Mary (b: 07 Mar 1854),
                                            > who married William Wright Price (1849-1913) on
                                            > 24 Mar 24 Mar 1877.
                                            >
                                            > I don't have a Lafayette Briley. Could L. V. Briley
                                            > be he?
                                            >
                                            > Marcia

                                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 25, 2006
                                              Dear Evelyn & Marcia,
                                              I will look up Lafayette Braxton this evening and
                                              see what I find. We do have Braxtons marrying into
                                              this line. Later, Carol

                                            • Catherine
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 25, 2006
                                                My great aunt is 90 and was married to a Briley. She is still living. I'll give her a call this week and ask if she remembers anything of her husbands family.

                                                Catherine

                                                wrote:

                                                > Per Brides Index of Pitt County, Allen Churchill's
                                                > book, entry unknown:
                                                >
                                                > Peebles, Nancy [Father: Howell Peebles] married
                                                > 11/6/1886 Lafayette Briley.
                                                >
                                                > Could this father be Howell Peopples, husband of
                                                > Clara 'Clary' Phillips?
                                                > If so, I have two other daughters for him: Sally who
                                                > married Hardy Skinner; and Mary (b: 07 Mar 1854),
                                                > who married William Wright Price (1849-1913) on
                                                > 24 Mar 24 Mar 1877.
                                                >
                                                > I don't have a Lafayette Briley. Could L. V. Briley
                                                > be he?
                                                >
                                                > Marcia

                                                Yahoo! Groups Links