Re: [genpcncfir] Great! Group! Someone! Might! Help Me? Break The Brick Wall !

  • Evelyn Hendricks
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 11:05 AM
      I don't know much about the history, but I will give you what I can think of at this time.
      My mother told me that the brick building was built the year my oldest brother was born. He was born in July, 1924. Before that the school was in a wooden building just a house or two down from where the old Glover house. It(the Glover house) was on the corner of Rogers St. and the Stantonsburg. Road. I believe the old school was used as a dwelling after that. My father attended that school. I remember him telling about a new teacher who had come to teach that year. Evidently an inexperienced teacher. When it came recess time the teacher told them one thing she would not allow and that was climbing on the wood pile. He said none of them had ever thought of doing that, but it was the first thing they did at recess. His uncle, my grandmother's brother, was newly married when my father decided to do something for which he surely would be punished. For some reason he threw the ink bottle at the teacher. Then he ran out of there and went to his uncle's house until time for school to be out. Uncle John lived in the house which was later sold to Mr. Glover. It was the same one in which my grandmother grew up.

      He also told us about a teacher who was there for many years. He was positive that she must have had eyes in the back of her head. She would be writing on the board, with her back to class, and call one by name and tell him (or her) to stop talking. At one time I knew her name, but I cannot recall it right now.

      My mother attended school there one year. She lived on the road toward Farmville, close to Uncle Joe Craft's place. My father went home for lunch since he was close. One day he brought some candy back for my mother. He was passing it across the aisle to her, using a geography book to do so. He dropped the book and the teacher knew who was the guilty one without even looking up. Of course, she knew the direction of the sound and did not need to look up.

      That wooden school was where my grandmother, born 1879, and her siblings went to school. I don't know if the building was the same building, but the location was the same. At least that is the way I understand it.

      My father's cousin, Hazel Little, was the cook at Saratoga school a number of years. She really enjoyed being around the children. She did not need to work, but really enjoyed it. She is in a nursing home in Wilson now.

      I know this does not answer your question, exactly, but I thought you would be interested in it. At the time my parent's attended there, the seventh grade was as far as it went. Higher education was available somewhere near by but I can't remember just where. Could it have been Gardners? My father went there for a couple of years.

      I don't believe they had year books in those days. The school I attended for high school did not have them until my junior year.

      If I can help you any more, just let me know.
      Evelyn Hendricks