Re: [genpcncfir] The name Dempsey

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1 5:20 AM
      http://geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/3824/dem3.html

      Paula Anne Baker
      paulabaker69@...
      Greene County NC

      ----Original Message Follows----
      From: Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...>
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [genpcncfir] The name Dempsey
      Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:05:43 -0800 (PST)

      Dear Trish,
      There is always the possibility that the name as a
      Christian name, rather than as a surname, comes from a
      Biblical concept like "redemption" or "redeemer," but
      of course I cannot prove this. There is the further
      possibility that the given name simply originated from
      the surname. The surname could have been a place name
      initially. Some surnames came from the locale where
      the families lived. Others, like Smith or Cartwright
      came from the trade the family followed. If I can find
      the name in one of the surname books in the reference
      section here at Reynolds, I'll give a holler. Later,
      Carol

      --- Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@...>