Re: [genpcncfir] Manning/Stocks/Mills/ Williams

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 26, 2006
      Paula,

      There are so many people with the same name and it is
      so easy to mix them up. I have two people with a birth
      name of Mary Elizabeth Stocks.

      Per Linda F. Harris, Mary Elizabeth Stocks was born 30
      May 1888 to Guilford Stocks & Dicey Elizabeth Mills,
      who were married in 1883. She married W. Henry Lang 06
      Sep 1903 in Pitt County and they had 18 children. She
      died 18 Dec 1968.

      My other Mary Elizabeth Stocks, whom I have married to
      Thomas Bragg Manning was born abt 1866. I have her
      parents as William A. Stocks, Sr. & Elizabeth 'Lizzie'
      Tyson, who were married 24 Dec 1862 in Pitt County.

      I hope this helps your research.

      I did not have Bertha Tollena Manning as Thomas Bragg
      Manning's daughter. I only hade 5 children.

      Marcia

      > I need help with my father's maternal line.
      >
      > Bertha Manning, daughter of Thomas B. Manning and
      > Mary Elizabeth Stocks
      > Mary Elizabeth Stocks, daughter of Guilford Stocks
      > and Dicey E. Mills
      > Dicey E. Mills, daughter of William Mills and Martha
      > J. Williams
      > Does anyone have the parents of Martha J. Williams?
      > I'm not even sure this is correct.

    • Bill Kittrell
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 26, 2006
        I have the same information on both Mary Elizabeth's that Marcia has. I do
        have Berth Tolen b. 1905 as d/o Thomas Bragg Manning, m. William Baker. I
        knew of the Bakers that lived in the Red Oak community west of Greenville.
        I lived out there in the 1940s and early 1950s The Benjamin F. Manning (s/o
        Linnington & Cinderilla Manning) cemetert is located in that community
        behind where Mr. Tom Manning lived (this was Don, Charles, Claude, J. T.,
        and Wardell's father). I visited Don there many times as he and I graduated
        from high school together.

        In the Manning cemetery behind Garris-Evans Lumber is buried Bertha Leonia
        b. 1874 d. 1905 wife of R. M. Kennedy. Also in same cemetery is Tolena
        Manning b. 1890 d. 1918 w/o F. B. Manning.

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 26, 2006
          I think I'm on the right track now. Thanks. I'll need you again and often.
          I felt guilty when I realized that I had not spent much time tracing my
          father's maternal line. I have a lot of work to do.

          Paula Anne Baker
          paulabaker69@...
          Greene County NC

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 28, 2006
            Dear Paula,
            This family story is priceless. It makes us keenly
            aware of the hardships and heartache that many of our
            kin endured. Their perseverance is an inspiration. The
            husband and wife working together to save money and to
            buy their property is a sterling example for couples
            today to follow. Finally, farm families never thought
            about retirement. They quite literally worked until
            they dropped in their tracks. It is wonderful that you
            have so much information on this family and thoughtful
            of you to share it with us. Later, Carol

            === message truncated ===

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 1 4:54 PM
              I didn't write that excerpt and I can't remember who did. It was someone in
              the family, not my line, I think. I appreciate what she did and her
              contribution.

              Paula Anne Baker
              paulabaker69@...
              Greene County NC

> [...]

              > born August 23, 1897 and died September 30, 1898.
              > So, they were thrilled
              > beyond words when Bertha Tollena Manning was born on
              > July 21, 1905.
              > Tom was an avid sportsman and would rather fish,
              > hunt and trap than work on
              > the farm, and he spent much of his life doing just
              > that. Before dawn many
              > mornings of the week, he would arise, walk two and
              > one-half miles to the
              > river, fish or trap and then walk two and one-half
              > miles back home. The
              > week before he died (December 2, 1929), he had set
              > his traps in the woods.
              >

              > Paula Anne Baker
              > paulabaker69@...
              > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS
              > in Pitt County NC and
              > Greene County NC
              > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC,

              === message truncated ===

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 6 5:46 PM
                Dear Paula,
                I agree with you in extending appreciation to this
                writer. It was an exceptional tribute. Reading it made
                me feel that I was actually one of the family living
                through the experiences recounted in those words that
                spoke volumes. It was as fresh as the morning's paper.