Re: [genpcncfir] CNN.com - Family tree of former slaves coming together - Dec 29, 2005

  • Evelyn Hendricks
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
      I don't like pictures with teeth showing. Neither am I too fond of those with a closed-mouth smile. Sometimes I use photographs as reference for my paintings, and I certainly don't want an oil painting of someone with teeth showing. Mouths are hard enough to do any way, without adding that to it. With teeth showing, or even a smile, you cannot get the real look of the person. The muscles in the face change when you smile. If I have a smiling photograph I have to change it in my drawing so that it is a "smileless" face. I am glad they did not smile in the old photos. It gives me a glimpse of what their facial features really were like.
      Evelyn
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
        Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that. Rhet
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 20, 2006
          Thank you Carol.

          Paula Anne Baker
          paulabaker69@...
          Greene County NC

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 23, 2006
            Amen,Evelyn! I have always been a scribbler and a
            drawer. The measure of Mama's understanding and
            empathy was her letting me use my bedroom wall and
            hers for my pre-school canvas. I covered all the
            pastel plaster with houses, wagons, birds, trees,
            cats, and children. I hated posed pictures.
            Fortunately for me, Mama was no megamaniac when it
            came to capturing it all on film. She never confused
            picture-taking with memories. In a flood, for example,
            or in a fire, one does not "lose his memories." He
            loses only things. I have to agree with you that I
            think baring one's teeth like some mule in the midst
            of a hee-haw is a distortion. Unfortunately, such
            pictures usually make me hee-haw too. Later, Carol

            === message truncated ===