Re: [genpcncfir] CNN.com - Family tree of former slaves coming together - Dec 29, 2005

  • Faye Silliman
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
      If anyone is interested, this URL may provide some
      information in finding slaves records.

      http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/gr/slaveprep3.htm

      http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=viewThis&etMailT

      http://www.savethis.clickability.com/st/saveThisPopupApp?clickMap=saveFromET

      http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=forward&etMailTo
      > > > ID=646416924&partnerID=2006&pt=Y

      > Web
      > > > addresses:
      > > Address
      > > > above. Be sure to highlight
      > > > the entire Web address, even if it spans
      > more
      > > than
      > > > one line in your email.
      > top
      > > of
      > > > your screen.
      > > by
      > > > selecting Paste from the
      > > > Edit menu.
      > your
      > > > keyboard.

      > > > Pitt County Historical Society:
      >

      > > > http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/
      > > >
      > > > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for
      > > > description and ordering information:

      > > > Click here to view CHRONICLE PHOTO, use
      > > SlideShow:

      > > > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order
      > > Form:

      > > > Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical
      > > > Resources:
      > > > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
      > > >
      > > > http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/
      > > >
      > > > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite
      > > you to
      > > > join our dynamic group if you are interested
      > in
      > > > genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and
      > > all
      > > > Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.
      > > > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research
      > > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir

      > > north
      > > > carolina real estate North carolina real
      > estate
      > >
      > > > North carolina Genealogy research

      === message truncated ===

    • Evelyn Hendricks
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
        I don't like pictures with teeth showing. Neither am I too fond of those with a closed-mouth smile. Sometimes I use photographs as reference for my paintings, and I certainly don't want an oil painting of someone with teeth showing. Mouths are hard enough to do any way, without adding that to it. With teeth showing, or even a smile, you cannot get the real look of the person. The muscles in the face change when you smile. If I have a smiling photograph I have to change it in my drawing so that it is a "smileless" face. I am glad they did not smile in the old photos. It gives me a glimpse of what their facial features really were like.
        Evelyn
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
          Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that. Rhet
          Sometimes they did, I have seen one example at the NC State Archives. I don't remember which family Bible it was, but it was recorded along with the family information.
          Evelyn

          --- Rhet Wilkinson <rhet@...> wrote:

          > I would think though, if they still existed, farm
          > and plantation ledgers would be a source of this
          > information since the newborn children would be
          > considered as property to be listed as being
          > aquired. Rhet

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 20, 2006
            Thank you Carol.

            Paula Anne Baker
            paulabaker69@...
            Greene County NC

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 23, 2006
              Amen,Evelyn! I have always been a scribbler and a
              drawer. The measure of Mama's understanding and
              empathy was her letting me use my bedroom wall and
              hers for my pre-school canvas. I covered all the
              pastel plaster with houses, wagons, birds, trees,
              cats, and children. I hated posed pictures.
              Fortunately for me, Mama was no megamaniac when it
              came to capturing it all on film. She never confused
              picture-taking with memories. In a flood, for example,
              or in a fire, one does not "lose his memories." He
              loses only things. I have to agree with you that I
              think baring one's teeth like some mule in the midst
              of a hee-haw is a distortion. Unfortunately, such
              pictures usually make me hee-haw too. Later, Carol

              === message truncated ===