Re: [genpcncfir] CNN.com - Family tree of former slaves coming together - Dec 29, 2005

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
      Some families did record slave births in family Bibles.

    • Faye Silliman
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
        If anyone is interested, this URL may provide some
        information in finding slaves records.

        http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/gr/slaveprep3.htm

        http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=forward&etMailTo
        > > > ID=646416924&partnerID=2006&pt=Y

        > Web
        > > > addresses:
        > > Address
        > > > above. Be sure to highlight
        > > > the entire Web address, even if it spans
        > more
        > > than
        > > > one line in your email.
        > top
        > > of
        > > > your screen.
        > > by
        > > > selecting Paste from the
        > > > Edit menu.
        > your
        > > > keyboard.

        > > > Pitt County Historical Society:
        >

        > > > http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/
        > > >
        > > > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for
        > > > description and ordering information:

        > > > Click here to view CHRONICLE PHOTO, use
        > > SlideShow:

        > > > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order
        > > Form:

        > > > Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical
        > > > Resources:
        > > > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
        > > >
        > > > http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/
        > > >
        > > > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite
        > > you to
        > > > join our dynamic group if you are interested
        > in
        > > > genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and
        > > all
        > > > Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.
        > > > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research
        > > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir

        > > north
        > > > carolina real estate North carolina real
        > estate
        > >
        > > > North carolina Genealogy research

        === message truncated ===

      • Evelyn Hendricks
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
          I don't like pictures with teeth showing. Neither am I too fond of those with a closed-mouth smile. Sometimes I use photographs as reference for my paintings, and I certainly don't want an oil painting of someone with teeth showing. Mouths are hard enough to do any way, without adding that to it. With teeth showing, or even a smile, you cannot get the real look of the person. The muscles in the face change when you smile. If I have a smiling photograph I have to change it in my drawing so that it is a "smileless" face. I am glad they did not smile in the old photos. It gives me a glimpse of what their facial features really were like.
          Evelyn
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
            Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that. Rhet
            Sometimes they did, I have seen one example at the NC State Archives. I don't remember which family Bible it was, but it was recorded along with the family information.
            Evelyn

            --- Rhet Wilkinson <rhet@...> wrote:

            > I would think though, if they still existed, farm
            > and plantation ledgers would be a source of this
            > information since the newborn children would be
            > considered as property to be listed as being
            > aquired. Rhet

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 20, 2006
              Thank you Carol.

              Paula Anne Baker
              paulabaker69@...
              Greene County NC

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 23, 2006
                Amen,Evelyn! I have always been a scribbler and a
                drawer. The measure of Mama's understanding and
                empathy was her letting me use my bedroom wall and
                hers for my pre-school canvas. I covered all the
                pastel plaster with houses, wagons, birds, trees,
                cats, and children. I hated posed pictures.
                Fortunately for me, Mama was no megamaniac when it
                came to capturing it all on film. She never confused
                picture-taking with memories. In a flood, for example,
                or in a fire, one does not "lose his memories." He
                loses only things. I have to agree with you that I
                think baring one's teeth like some mule in the midst
                of a hee-haw is a distortion. Unfortunately, such
                pictures usually make me hee-haw too. Later, Carol

                === message truncated ===