Re: [genpcncfir] CNN.com - Family tree of former slaves coming together - Dec 29, 2005

  • Evelyn Hendricks
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
      Sometimes they did, I have seen one example at the NC State Archives. I don't remember which family Bible it was, but it was recorded along with the family information.
      Evelyn
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
        Dear Linda,
        Just in case any of you ever see a picture of me,
        and they are few, I rarely smile in any of them. Mama
        always told us to smile for our pictures, but I never
        saw any point to it just as Mama never saw any point
        to giving us children Castor Oil. I never smile,
        unless somebody catches me off guard, because I am
        totally UNPHOTOGENIC! I have broken cameras--no joke.
        I figure the less one sees of me in a picture, the
        better the picture. So forget the national obsession
        with "the pearly whites." Save the pearls for my
        oyster stew! Maybe some day I will have enough rescued
        pearls for a decent necklace--well, ring perhaps.
        Later, Carol

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
          Dear Paula,
          Since there are Pitt Bastardy Bonds there and
          since Raleigh is a repository for archives from all
          over the state, I am quite sure that if they existed
          in Greene, they will also be in Raleigh. The times I
          have been there, I have looked only at records from
          Pitt. These included the Bastardy Bonds. For some
          periods, I did not find very many. Perhaps, they were
          not all in one place. Or there could be a system here
          that I do not know about. For example, I was told in
          Greenville that some records prior to 1941 had all
          been sent to the Archives in Raleigh. I guess it was
          to make room at the Greenville Courthouse for more
          current records. Later, Carol

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
            Dear Paula,
            Since Sammy did not find the Greene Bastardy Bonds
            in Raleigh, I'll do some sleuthing. If they are not
            there, there has to be a reason. I'll holler at some
            of my friends and see what I can dig up. Later, Carol

          • Faye Silliman
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
              I am sure there is a lot you don't know.

              Some people did in fact record births and deaths of
              slaves in their family bibles. Not everyone, but
              some.

              === message truncated ===

            • Trish Worthington Cobb
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                Some families did record slave births in family Bibles.

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                  If anyone is interested, this URL may provide some
                  information in finding slaves records.

                  http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/gr/slaveprep3.htm

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                    I don't like pictures with teeth showing. Neither am I too fond of those with a closed-mouth smile. Sometimes I use photographs as reference for my paintings, and I certainly don't want an oil painting of someone with teeth showing. Mouths are hard enough to do any way, without adding that to it. With teeth showing, or even a smile, you cannot get the real look of the person. The muscles in the face change when you smile. If I have a smiling photograph I have to change it in my drawing so that it is a "smileless" face. I am glad they did not smile in the old photos. It gives me a glimpse of what their facial features really were like.
                    Evelyn

                    --- LdMel1@... wrote:

                    > Also Mother stated that it was not "proper" to smile
                    > you were supposed to be serious. I wish we had more
                    > pictures of the old days.
                    > Linda

                  • Rhet Wilkinson
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                      Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that. Rhet

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 20, 2006
                        Thank you Carol.

                        Paula Anne Baker
                        paulabaker69@...
                        Greene County NC

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 23, 2006
                          Amen,Evelyn! I have always been a scribbler and a
                          drawer. The measure of Mama's understanding and
                          empathy was her letting me use my bedroom wall and
                          hers for my pre-school canvas. I covered all the
                          pastel plaster with houses, wagons, birds, trees,
                          cats, and children. I hated posed pictures.
                          Fortunately for me, Mama was no megamaniac when it
                          came to capturing it all on film. She never confused
                          picture-taking with memories. In a flood, for example,
                          or in a fire, one does not "lose his memories." He
                          loses only things. I have to agree with you that I
                          think baring one's teeth like some mule in the midst
                          of a hee-haw is a distortion. Unfortunately, such
                          pictures usually make me hee-haw too. Later, Carol

                          === message truncated ===