Re: [genpcncfir] Bastardy Bonds for Greene Co

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
      Thanks Sammy. I won't pursue that then.

      Paula Anne Baker
      paulabaker69@...
      Greene County NC

      ----Original Message Follows----
      From: <samurai369@...>
      To: <genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [genpcncfir] Bastardy Bonds for Greene Co
      Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:43:06 -0500

      Paula,
      I've looked for Greene Co. bastardy bonds at the Archives before - no
      luck.

      Sammy Pierce
      Hobe Sound, FL

      > From: "Paula Baker" <paulabaker69@...>
      > Date: 2006/01/18 Wed PM 08:38:24 EST
      > To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [genpcncfir] Bastardy Bonds for Greene Co
      >
      > I've asked this before, but are there bastardy bonds for Greene Co in
      > Raleigh? I don't know if I've asked this list.
      >

      > Paula Anne Baker
      > paulabaker69@...
      > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC
      and
      > Greene County NC
      > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA

      information:

    • Rhet Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
        I don't know that they would put the birth of slaves in Family bibles. Rhet
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
          Sometimes they did, I have seen one example at the NC State Archives. I don't remember which family Bible it was, but it was recorded along with the family information.
          Evelyn

          --- Rhet Wilkinson <rhet@...> wrote:

          > I would think though, if they still existed, farm
          > and plantation ledgers would be a source of this
          > information since the newborn children would be
          > considered as property to be listed as being
          > aquired. Rhet

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
            Dear Linda,
            Just in case any of you ever see a picture of me,
            and they are few, I rarely smile in any of them. Mama
            always told us to smile for our pictures, but I never
            saw any point to it just as Mama never saw any point
            to giving us children Castor Oil. I never smile,
            unless somebody catches me off guard, because I am
            totally UNPHOTOGENIC! I have broken cameras--no joke.
            I figure the less one sees of me in a picture, the
            better the picture. So forget the national obsession
            with "the pearly whites." Save the pearls for my
            oyster stew! Maybe some day I will have enough rescued
            pearls for a decent necklace--well, ring perhaps.
            Later, Carol

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
              Dear Paula,
              Since there are Pitt Bastardy Bonds there and
              since Raleigh is a repository for archives from all
              over the state, I am quite sure that if they existed
              in Greene, they will also be in Raleigh. The times I
              have been there, I have looked only at records from
              Pitt. These included the Bastardy Bonds. For some
              periods, I did not find very many. Perhaps, they were
              not all in one place. Or there could be a system here
              that I do not know about. For example, I was told in
              Greenville that some records prior to 1941 had all
              been sent to the Archives in Raleigh. I guess it was
              to make room at the Greenville Courthouse for more
              current records. Later, Carol

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                Dear Paula,
                Since Sammy did not find the Greene Bastardy Bonds
                in Raleigh, I'll do some sleuthing. If they are not
                there, there has to be a reason. I'll holler at some
                of my friends and see what I can dig up. Later, Carol

              • Faye Silliman
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                  I am sure there is a lot you don't know.

                  Some people did in fact record births and deaths of
                  slaves in their family bibles. Not everyone, but
                  some.

                  === message truncated ===

                • Trish Worthington Cobb
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                    Some families did record slave births in family Bibles.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                      If anyone is interested, this URL may provide some
                      information in finding slaves records.

                      http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/gr/slaveprep3.htm

                    • Evelyn Hendricks
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                        I don't like pictures with teeth showing. Neither am I too fond of those with a closed-mouth smile. Sometimes I use photographs as reference for my paintings, and I certainly don't want an oil painting of someone with teeth showing. Mouths are hard enough to do any way, without adding that to it. With teeth showing, or even a smile, you cannot get the real look of the person. The muscles in the face change when you smile. If I have a smiling photograph I have to change it in my drawing so that it is a "smileless" face. I am glad they did not smile in the old photos. It gives me a glimpse of what their facial features really were like.
                        Evelyn

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                          Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that. Rhet

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 20, 2006
                            Thank you Carol.

                            Paula Anne Baker
                            paulabaker69@...
                            Greene County NC

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 23, 2006
                              Amen,Evelyn! I have always been a scribbler and a
                              drawer. The measure of Mama's understanding and
                              empathy was her letting me use my bedroom wall and
                              hers for my pre-school canvas. I covered all the
                              pastel plaster with houses, wagons, birds, trees,
                              cats, and children. I hated posed pictures.
                              Fortunately for me, Mama was no megamaniac when it
                              came to capturing it all on film. She never confused
                              picture-taking with memories. In a flood, for example,
                              or in a fire, one does not "lose his memories." He
                              loses only things. I have to agree with you that I
                              think baring one's teeth like some mule in the midst
                              of a hee-haw is a distortion. Unfortunately, such
                              pictures usually make me hee-haw too. Later, Carol

                              === message truncated ===