Bastardy Bonds for Greene Co

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
      I've asked this before, but are there bastardy bonds for Greene Co in
      Raleigh? I don't know if I've asked this list.

      Paula Anne Baker
      paulabaker69@...
      Greene County NC
    • LdMel1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
        I don't know about Raleigh, but the Reg of Deeds in Snow Hill said they never heard of them. Also stated to check Clerk's office. If anyone knows the answer I two would like to know.

        Have a blessed day
        Linda Melvin

        I've asked this before, but are there bastardy bonds for Greene Co in
        Raleigh? I don't know if I've asked this list.

        Paula Anne Baker
        paulabaker69@...
        Greene County NC

        information:

        We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group if you
        are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern and
        Coastal North Carolina counties.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • samurai369@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
          Paula,
          I've looked for Greene Co. bastardy bonds at the Archives before - no luck.

          Sammy Pierce
          Hobe Sound, FL

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
            Thanks Sammy. I won't pursue that then.

            Paula Anne Baker
            paulabaker69@...
            Greene County NC

            I've looked for Greene Co. bastardy bonds at the Archives before - no
            luck.

            Sammy Pierce
            Hobe Sound, FL

            > From: "Paula Baker" <paulabaker69@...>
            > Date: 2006/01/18 Wed PM 08:38:24 EST
            > To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [genpcncfir] Bastardy Bonds for Greene Co
            >
            > I've asked this before, but are there bastardy bonds for Greene Co in
            > Raleigh? I don't know if I've asked this list.
            >

            > Paula Anne Baker
            > paulabaker69@...
            > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC
            and
            > Greene County NC
            > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA

            information:

          • Rhet Wilkinson
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
              I don't know that they would put the birth of slaves in Family bibles. Rhet
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                Sometimes they did, I have seen one example at the NC State Archives. I don't remember which family Bible it was, but it was recorded along with the family information.
                Evelyn

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                  Dear Linda,
                  Just in case any of you ever see a picture of me,
                  and they are few, I rarely smile in any of them. Mama
                  always told us to smile for our pictures, but I never
                  saw any point to it just as Mama never saw any point
                  to giving us children Castor Oil. I never smile,
                  unless somebody catches me off guard, because I am
                  totally UNPHOTOGENIC! I have broken cameras--no joke.
                  I figure the less one sees of me in a picture, the
                  better the picture. So forget the national obsession
                  with "the pearly whites." Save the pearls for my
                  oyster stew! Maybe some day I will have enough rescued
                  pearls for a decent necklace--well, ring perhaps.
                  Later, Carol

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                    Dear Paula,
                    Since there are Pitt Bastardy Bonds there and
                    since Raleigh is a repository for archives from all
                    over the state, I am quite sure that if they existed
                    in Greene, they will also be in Raleigh. The times I
                    have been there, I have looked only at records from
                    Pitt. These included the Bastardy Bonds. For some
                    periods, I did not find very many. Perhaps, they were
                    not all in one place. Or there could be a system here
                    that I do not know about. For example, I was told in
                    Greenville that some records prior to 1941 had all
                    been sent to the Archives in Raleigh. I guess it was
                    to make room at the Greenville Courthouse for more
                    current records. Later, Carol

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                      Dear Paula,
                      Since Sammy did not find the Greene Bastardy Bonds
                      in Raleigh, I'll do some sleuthing. If they are not
                      there, there has to be a reason. I'll holler at some
                      of my friends and see what I can dig up. Later, Carol

                    • Faye Silliman
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                        I am sure there is a lot you don't know.

                        Some people did in fact record births and deaths of
                        slaves in their family bibles. Not everyone, but
                        some.

                        === message truncated ===

                      • Trish Worthington Cobb
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                          Some families did record slave births in family Bibles.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                            If anyone is interested, this URL may provide some
                            information in finding slaves records.

                            http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/gr/slaveprep3.htm

                          • Evelyn Hendricks
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                              I don't like pictures with teeth showing. Neither am I too fond of those with a closed-mouth smile. Sometimes I use photographs as reference for my paintings, and I certainly don't want an oil painting of someone with teeth showing. Mouths are hard enough to do any way, without adding that to it. With teeth showing, or even a smile, you cannot get the real look of the person. The muscles in the face change when you smile. If I have a smiling photograph I have to change it in my drawing so that it is a "smileless" face. I am glad they did not smile in the old photos. It gives me a glimpse of what their facial features really were like.
                              Evelyn

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that. Rhet

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 20, 2006
                                  Thank you Carol.

                                  Paula Anne Baker
                                  paulabaker69@...
                                  Greene County NC

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 23, 2006
                                    Amen,Evelyn! I have always been a scribbler and a
                                    drawer. The measure of Mama's understanding and
                                    empathy was her letting me use my bedroom wall and
                                    hers for my pre-school canvas. I covered all the
                                    pastel plaster with houses, wagons, birds, trees,
                                    cats, and children. I hated posed pictures.
                                    Fortunately for me, Mama was no megamaniac when it
                                    came to capturing it all on film. She never confused
                                    picture-taking with memories. In a flood, for example,
                                    or in a fire, one does not "lose his memories." He
                                    loses only things. I have to agree with you that I
                                    think baring one's teeth like some mule in the midst
                                    of a hee-haw is a distortion. Unfortunately, such
                                    pictures usually make me hee-haw too. Later, Carol

                                    === message truncated ===