Re: [genpcncfir] CNN.com - Family tree of former slaves coming together - Dec 29, 2005

  • LdMel1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
      Also Mother stated that it was not "proper" to smile you were supposed to be serious. I wish we had more pictures of the old days.
      Linda

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
        Some information can be found in family bibles.

        http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=viewThis&etMailT

        http://www.savethis.clickability.com/st/saveThisPopupApp?clickMap=saveFromET

        http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=forward&etMailTo

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
          I've asked this before, but are there bastardy bonds for Greene Co in
          Raleigh? I don't know if I've asked this list.

          Paula Anne Baker
          paulabaker69@...
          Greene County NC
        • LdMel1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
            I don't know about Raleigh, but the Reg of Deeds in Snow Hill said they never heard of them. Also stated to check Clerk's office. If anyone knows the answer I two would like to know.

            Have a blessed day
            Linda Melvin

          • samurai369@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
              Paula,
              I've looked for Greene Co. bastardy bonds at the Archives before - no luck.

              Sammy Pierce
              Hobe Sound, FL

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                Thanks Sammy. I won't pursue that then.

                Paula Anne Baker
                paulabaker69@...
                Greene County NC

                I've looked for Greene Co. bastardy bonds at the Archives before - no
                luck.

                Sammy Pierce
                Hobe Sound, FL

                > From: "Paula Baker" <paulabaker69@...>
                > Date: 2006/01/18 Wed PM 08:38:24 EST
                > To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [genpcncfir] Bastardy Bonds for Greene Co
                >
                > I've asked this before, but are there bastardy bonds for Greene Co in
                > Raleigh? I don't know if I've asked this list.
                >

                > Paula Anne Baker
                > paulabaker69@...
                > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC
                and
                > Greene County NC
                > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA

                information:

              • Rhet Wilkinson
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                  I don't know that they would put the birth of slaves in Family bibles. Rhet

                  --- Rhet Wilkinson <rhet@...> wrote:

                  > I would think though, if they still existed, farm
                  > and plantation ledgers would be a source of this
                  > information since the newborn children would be
                  > considered as property to be listed as being
                  > aquired. Rhet

                • Evelyn Hendricks
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                    Sometimes they did, I have seen one example at the NC State Archives. I don't remember which family Bible it was, but it was recorded along with the family information.
                    Evelyn

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                      Dear Linda,
                      Just in case any of you ever see a picture of me,
                      and they are few, I rarely smile in any of them. Mama
                      always told us to smile for our pictures, but I never
                      saw any point to it just as Mama never saw any point
                      to giving us children Castor Oil. I never smile,
                      unless somebody catches me off guard, because I am
                      totally UNPHOTOGENIC! I have broken cameras--no joke.
                      I figure the less one sees of me in a picture, the
                      better the picture. So forget the national obsession
                      with "the pearly whites." Save the pearls for my
                      oyster stew! Maybe some day I will have enough rescued
                      pearls for a decent necklace--well, ring perhaps.
                      Later, Carol

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                        Dear Paula,
                        Since there are Pitt Bastardy Bonds there and
                        since Raleigh is a repository for archives from all
                        over the state, I am quite sure that if they existed
                        in Greene, they will also be in Raleigh. The times I
                        have been there, I have looked only at records from
                        Pitt. These included the Bastardy Bonds. For some
                        periods, I did not find very many. Perhaps, they were
                        not all in one place. Or there could be a system here
                        that I do not know about. For example, I was told in
                        Greenville that some records prior to 1941 had all
                        been sent to the Archives in Raleigh. I guess it was
                        to make room at the Greenville Courthouse for more
                        current records. Later, Carol

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                          Dear Paula,
                          Since Sammy did not find the Greene Bastardy Bonds
                          in Raleigh, I'll do some sleuthing. If they are not
                          there, there has to be a reason. I'll holler at some
                          of my friends and see what I can dig up. Later, Carol

                        • Faye Silliman
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                            I am sure there is a lot you don't know.

                            Some people did in fact record births and deaths of
                            slaves in their family bibles. Not everyone, but
                            some.

                            === message truncated ===

                          • Trish Worthington Cobb
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                              Some families did record slave births in family Bibles.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                If anyone is interested, this URL may provide some
                                information in finding slaves records.

                                http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/gr/slaveprep3.htm

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                  I don't like pictures with teeth showing. Neither am I too fond of those with a closed-mouth smile. Sometimes I use photographs as reference for my paintings, and I certainly don't want an oil painting of someone with teeth showing. Mouths are hard enough to do any way, without adding that to it. With teeth showing, or even a smile, you cannot get the real look of the person. The muscles in the face change when you smile. If I have a smiling photograph I have to change it in my drawing so that it is a "smileless" face. I am glad they did not smile in the old photos. It gives me a glimpse of what their facial features really were like.
                                  Evelyn

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                    Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that. Rhet

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 20, 2006
                                      Thank you Carol.

                                      Paula Anne Baker
                                      paulabaker69@...
                                      Greene County NC

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 23, 2006
                                        Amen,Evelyn! I have always been a scribbler and a
                                        drawer. The measure of Mama's understanding and
                                        empathy was her letting me use my bedroom wall and
                                        hers for my pre-school canvas. I covered all the
                                        pastel plaster with houses, wagons, birds, trees,
                                        cats, and children. I hated posed pictures.
                                        Fortunately for me, Mama was no megamaniac when it
                                        came to capturing it all on film. She never confused
                                        picture-taking with memories. In a flood, for example,
                                        or in a fire, one does not "lose his memories." He
                                        loses only things. I have to agree with you that I
                                        think baring one's teeth like some mule in the midst
                                        of a hee-haw is a distortion. Unfortunately, such
                                        pictures usually make me hee-haw too. Later, Carol

                                        === message truncated ===