Re: [genpcncfir] CNN.com - Family tree of former slaves coming together - Dec 29, 2005

  • Rhet Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
      We can always count on you to have an insightful view of things. Thank you for your comments. As you have stated slavery was indeed an awful thing. But you were right about the somber expressions on all photo's I have seen on my ancestors. I have a picture of my great great grandparents in front of me right now and they appear to have never have had a happy day in their lives. Also in reading many wills from North and South Carolina I have seen many slave owners that have left their slaves to their widows for their lifetimes and then left instructions that they be freed on the widows deaths. Rhet
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
        I would think though, if they still existed, farm and plantation ledgers would be a source of this information since the newborn children would be considered as property to be listed as being aquired. Rhet
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
          Also Mother stated that it was not "proper" to smile you were supposed to be serious. I wish we had more pictures of the old days.
          Linda

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
            Some information can be found in family bibles.

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
              I've asked this before, but are there bastardy bonds for Greene Co in
              Raleigh? I don't know if I've asked this list.

              Paula Anne Baker
              paulabaker69@...
              Greene County NC
            • LdMel1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
                I don't know about Raleigh, but the Reg of Deeds in Snow Hill said they never heard of them. Also stated to check Clerk's office. If anyone knows the answer I two would like to know.

                Have a blessed day
                Linda Melvin

              • samurai369@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
                  Paula,
                  I've looked for Greene Co. bastardy bonds at the Archives before - no luck.

                  Sammy Pierce
                  Hobe Sound, FL

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                    Thanks Sammy. I won't pursue that then.

                    Paula Anne Baker
                    paulabaker69@...
                    Greene County NC

                    I've looked for Greene Co. bastardy bonds at the Archives before - no
                    luck.

                    Sammy Pierce
                    Hobe Sound, FL

                    > From: "Paula Baker" <paulabaker69@...>
                    > Date: 2006/01/18 Wed PM 08:38:24 EST
                    > To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: [genpcncfir] Bastardy Bonds for Greene Co
                    >
                    > I've asked this before, but are there bastardy bonds for Greene Co in
                    > Raleigh? I don't know if I've asked this list.
                    >

                    > Paula Anne Baker
                    > paulabaker69@...
                    > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC
                    and
                    > Greene County NC
                    > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA

                    information:

                  • Rhet Wilkinson
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                      I don't know that they would put the birth of slaves in Family bibles. Rhet

                      --- Rhet Wilkinson <rhet@...> wrote:

                      > I would think though, if they still existed, farm
                      > and plantation ledgers would be a source of this
                      > information since the newborn children would be
                      > considered as property to be listed as being
                      > aquired. Rhet

                    • Evelyn Hendricks
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                        Sometimes they did, I have seen one example at the NC State Archives. I don't remember which family Bible it was, but it was recorded along with the family information.
                        Evelyn

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                          Dear Linda,
                          Just in case any of you ever see a picture of me,
                          and they are few, I rarely smile in any of them. Mama
                          always told us to smile for our pictures, but I never
                          saw any point to it just as Mama never saw any point
                          to giving us children Castor Oil. I never smile,
                          unless somebody catches me off guard, because I am
                          totally UNPHOTOGENIC! I have broken cameras--no joke.
                          I figure the less one sees of me in a picture, the
                          better the picture. So forget the national obsession
                          with "the pearly whites." Save the pearls for my
                          oyster stew! Maybe some day I will have enough rescued
                          pearls for a decent necklace--well, ring perhaps.
                          Later, Carol

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                            Dear Paula,
                            Since there are Pitt Bastardy Bonds there and
                            since Raleigh is a repository for archives from all
                            over the state, I am quite sure that if they existed
                            in Greene, they will also be in Raleigh. The times I
                            have been there, I have looked only at records from
                            Pitt. These included the Bastardy Bonds. For some
                            periods, I did not find very many. Perhaps, they were
                            not all in one place. Or there could be a system here
                            that I do not know about. For example, I was told in
                            Greenville that some records prior to 1941 had all
                            been sent to the Archives in Raleigh. I guess it was
                            to make room at the Greenville Courthouse for more
                            current records. Later, Carol

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                              Dear Paula,
                              Since Sammy did not find the Greene Bastardy Bonds
                              in Raleigh, I'll do some sleuthing. If they are not
                              there, there has to be a reason. I'll holler at some
                              of my friends and see what I can dig up. Later, Carol

                            • Faye Silliman
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                I am sure there is a lot you don't know.

                                Some people did in fact record births and deaths of
                                slaves in their family bibles. Not everyone, but
                                some.

                                === message truncated ===

                              • Trish Worthington Cobb
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                  Some families did record slave births in family Bibles.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                    If anyone is interested, this URL may provide some
                                    information in finding slaves records.

                                    http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/gr/slaveprep3.htm

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                      I don't like pictures with teeth showing. Neither am I too fond of those with a closed-mouth smile. Sometimes I use photographs as reference for my paintings, and I certainly don't want an oil painting of someone with teeth showing. Mouths are hard enough to do any way, without adding that to it. With teeth showing, or even a smile, you cannot get the real look of the person. The muscles in the face change when you smile. If I have a smiling photograph I have to change it in my drawing so that it is a "smileless" face. I am glad they did not smile in the old photos. It gives me a glimpse of what their facial features really were like.
                                      Evelyn

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                        Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that. Rhet

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 20, 2006
                                          Thank you Carol.

                                          Paula Anne Baker
                                          paulabaker69@...
                                          Greene County NC

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 23, 2006
                                            Amen,Evelyn! I have always been a scribbler and a
                                            drawer. The measure of Mama's understanding and
                                            empathy was her letting me use my bedroom wall and
                                            hers for my pre-school canvas. I covered all the
                                            pastel plaster with houses, wagons, birds, trees,
                                            cats, and children. I hated posed pictures.
                                            Fortunately for me, Mama was no megamaniac when it
                                            came to capturing it all on film. She never confused
                                            picture-taking with memories. In a flood, for example,
                                            or in a fire, one does not "lose his memories." He
                                            loses only things. I have to agree with you that I
                                            think baring one's teeth like some mule in the midst
                                            of a hee-haw is a distortion. Unfortunately, such
                                            pictures usually make me hee-haw too. Later, Carol

                                            === message truncated ===