Re: [genpcncfir] CNN.com - Family tree of former slaves coming together - Dec 29, 2005

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 17, 2006
      Dear Bob & Group,
      Having nothing better to do one day, I signed up
      for a photography class. My teacher happened to be an
      avid photographic history buff. She gave a most
      inspiring presentation on what it was like to "sit"
      for a photograph during the early days of photography.
      According to her, the subject(s) had to sit/stand
      frozen in their poses for about two minutes. They were
      told not to move a muscle! Under such conditions who
      would have wanted to smile even if he could have?
      Later, Carol

      --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:

      > Paula - Perhaps, or they just felt that the teeth
      > they had weren't all that
      > photogenic. I also think that for many years thru
      > the early 1900's it was a
      > cultural taboo to smile when being photographed,
      > good teeth or not. A smile
      > may have looked disrespectful and frivolous during a
      > time when living day to
      > day was mostly grim and serious business. Also, they
      > may have realized how
      > long a photograph could last and wanted their unborn
      > descendants to
      > appreciate their lives and struggles.
      > Yes, I think pride and dignity, sprinkled with
      > humility, had a lot to do
      > with all those somber expressions and poses.
      > Thanks for responding,
      > Bob Forbes

    • Bob Forbes
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 17, 2006
        Dear Group,
        Doh! I must concede to Carol's simpler, yet superior 'splanation 'bout dis
        heah pitcher-takin' bidness o' days gone by,
        Til next one,
        Cuzzin Bob
        > Having nothing better to do one day, I signed up
        > for a photography class. My teacher happened to be an
        > avid photographic history buff. She gave a most
        > inspiring presentation on what it was like to "sit"
        > for a photograph during the early days of photography.
        > According to her, the subject(s) had to sit/stand
        > frozen in their poses for about two minutes. They were
        > told not to move a muscle! Under such conditions who
        > would have wanted to smile even if he could have?
        > Later, Carol
        >
        > --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Paula - Perhaps, or they just felt that the teeth
        >> they had weren't all that
        >> photogenic. I also think that for many years thru
        >> the early 1900's it was a
        >> cultural taboo to smile when being photographed,
        >> good teeth or not. A smile
        >> may have looked disrespectful and frivolous during a
        >> time when living day to
        >> day was mostly grim and serious business. Also, they
        >> may have realized how
        >> long a photograph could last and wanted their unborn
        >> descendants to
        >> appreciate their lives and struggles.
        >> Yes, I think pride and dignity, sprinkled with
        >> humility, had a lot to do
        >> with all those somber expressions and poses.
        >> Thanks for responding,
        >> Bob Forbes

      • Rhet Wilkinson
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
          We can always count on you to have an insightful view of things. Thank you for your comments. As you have stated slavery was indeed an awful thing. But you were right about the somber expressions on all photo's I have seen on my ancestors. I have a picture of my great great grandparents in front of me right now and they appear to have never have had a happy day in their lives. Also in reading many wills from North and South Carolina I have seen many slave owners that have left their slaves to their widows for their lifetimes and then left instructions that they be freed on the widows deaths. Rhet
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
            I would think though, if they still existed, farm and plantation ledgers would be a source of this information since the newborn children would be considered as property to be listed as being aquired. Rhet
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
              Also Mother stated that it was not "proper" to smile you were supposed to be serious. I wish we had more pictures of the old days.
              Linda

              > Having nothing better to do one day, I signed up
              > for a photography class. My teacher happened to be an
              > avid photographic history buff. She gave a most
              > inspiring presentation on what it was like to "sit"
              > for a photograph during the early days of photography.
              > According to her, the subject(s) had to sit/stand
              > frozen in their poses for about two minutes. They were
              > told not to move a muscle! Under such conditions who
              > would have wanted to smile even if he could have?
              > Later, Carol
              >
              > --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Paula - Perhaps, or they just felt that the teeth
              >> they had weren't all that
              >> photogenic. I also think that for many years thru
              >> the early 1900's it was a
              >> cultural taboo to smile when being photographed,
              >> good teeth or not. A smile
              >> may have looked disrespectful and frivolous during a
              >> time when living day to
              >> day was mostly grim and serious business. Also, they
              >> may have realized how
              >> long a photograph could last and wanted their unborn
              >> descendants to
              >> appreciate their lives and struggles.
              >> Yes, I think pride and dignity, sprinkled with
              >> humility, had a lot to do
              >> with all those somber expressions and poses.
              >> Thanks for responding,
              >> Bob Forbes

              information:

              We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group if you
              are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern and
              Coastal North Carolina counties.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Faye Silliman
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
                Some information can be found in family bibles.

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
                  I've asked this before, but are there bastardy bonds for Greene Co in
                  Raleigh? I don't know if I've asked this list.

                  Paula Anne Baker
                  paulabaker69@...
                  Greene County NC
                • LdMel1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
                    I don't know about Raleigh, but the Reg of Deeds in Snow Hill said they never heard of them. Also stated to check Clerk's office. If anyone knows the answer I two would like to know.

                    Have a blessed day
                    Linda Melvin

                  • samurai369@bellsouth.net
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 18, 2006
                      Paula,
                      I've looked for Greene Co. bastardy bonds at the Archives before - no luck.

                      Sammy Pierce
                      Hobe Sound, FL

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                        Thanks Sammy. I won't pursue that then.

                        Paula Anne Baker
                        paulabaker69@...
                        Greene County NC

                        I've looked for Greene Co. bastardy bonds at the Archives before - no
                        luck.

                        Sammy Pierce
                        Hobe Sound, FL

                        > From: "Paula Baker" <paulabaker69@...>
                        > Date: 2006/01/18 Wed PM 08:38:24 EST
                        > To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [genpcncfir] Bastardy Bonds for Greene Co
                        >
                        > I've asked this before, but are there bastardy bonds for Greene Co in
                        > Raleigh? I don't know if I've asked this list.
                        >

                        > Paula Anne Baker
                        > paulabaker69@...
                        > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC
                        and
                        > Greene County NC
                        > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA

                        information:

                      • Rhet Wilkinson
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                          I don't know that they would put the birth of slaves in Family bibles. Rhet

                          --- Rhet Wilkinson <rhet@...> wrote:

                          > I would think though, if they still existed, farm
                          > and plantation ledgers would be a source of this
                          > information since the newborn children would be
                          > considered as property to be listed as being
                          > aquired. Rhet

                        • Evelyn Hendricks
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                            Sometimes they did, I have seen one example at the NC State Archives. I don't remember which family Bible it was, but it was recorded along with the family information.
                            Evelyn

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                              Dear Linda,
                              Just in case any of you ever see a picture of me,
                              and they are few, I rarely smile in any of them. Mama
                              always told us to smile for our pictures, but I never
                              saw any point to it just as Mama never saw any point
                              to giving us children Castor Oil. I never smile,
                              unless somebody catches me off guard, because I am
                              totally UNPHOTOGENIC! I have broken cameras--no joke.
                              I figure the less one sees of me in a picture, the
                              better the picture. So forget the national obsession
                              with "the pearly whites." Save the pearls for my
                              oyster stew! Maybe some day I will have enough rescued
                              pearls for a decent necklace--well, ring perhaps.
                              Later, Carol

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                Dear Paula,
                                Since there are Pitt Bastardy Bonds there and
                                since Raleigh is a repository for archives from all
                                over the state, I am quite sure that if they existed
                                in Greene, they will also be in Raleigh. The times I
                                have been there, I have looked only at records from
                                Pitt. These included the Bastardy Bonds. For some
                                periods, I did not find very many. Perhaps, they were
                                not all in one place. Or there could be a system here
                                that I do not know about. For example, I was told in
                                Greenville that some records prior to 1941 had all
                                been sent to the Archives in Raleigh. I guess it was
                                to make room at the Greenville Courthouse for more
                                current records. Later, Carol

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                  Dear Paula,
                                  Since Sammy did not find the Greene Bastardy Bonds
                                  in Raleigh, I'll do some sleuthing. If they are not
                                  there, there has to be a reason. I'll holler at some
                                  of my friends and see what I can dig up. Later, Carol

                                • Faye Silliman
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                    I am sure there is a lot you don't know.

                                    Some people did in fact record births and deaths of
                                    slaves in their family bibles. Not everyone, but
                                    some.

                                    === message truncated ===

                                  • Trish Worthington Cobb
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                      Some families did record slave births in family Bibles.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                        If anyone is interested, this URL may provide some
                                        information in finding slaves records.

                                        http://statelibrary.dcr.state.nc.us/iss/gr/slaveprep3.htm

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                          I don't like pictures with teeth showing. Neither am I too fond of those with a closed-mouth smile. Sometimes I use photographs as reference for my paintings, and I certainly don't want an oil painting of someone with teeth showing. Mouths are hard enough to do any way, without adding that to it. With teeth showing, or even a smile, you cannot get the real look of the person. The muscles in the face change when you smile. If I have a smiling photograph I have to change it in my drawing so that it is a "smileless" face. I am glad they did not smile in the old photos. It gives me a glimpse of what their facial features really were like.
                                          Evelyn

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 19, 2006
                                            Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that. Rhet

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 20, 2006
                                              Thank you Carol.

                                              Paula Anne Baker
                                              paulabaker69@...
                                              Greene County NC

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 23, 2006
                                                Amen,Evelyn! I have always been a scribbler and a
                                                drawer. The measure of Mama's understanding and
                                                empathy was her letting me use my bedroom wall and
                                                hers for my pre-school canvas. I covered all the
                                                pastel plaster with houses, wagons, birds, trees,
                                                cats, and children. I hated posed pictures.
                                                Fortunately for me, Mama was no megamaniac when it
                                                came to capturing it all on film. She never confused
                                                picture-taking with memories. In a flood, for example,
                                                or in a fire, one does not "lose his memories." He
                                                loses only things. I have to agree with you that I
                                                think baring one's teeth like some mule in the midst
                                                of a hee-haw is a distortion. Unfortunately, such
                                                pictures usually make me hee-haw too. Later, Carol

                                                === message truncated ===