Re: [genpcncfir] Tuscarora-Elm City

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2005
      In a message dated 12/13/2005 7:39:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      Lou-BB@... writes:
      As far as the Tuscarora Indians laying claim to property in this area, they
      will have to prove they are 100%, no mix blood, Tuscaroran's! Where did you
      get your information on their history? I would love to read this article.

      Hope I have answered some of your query's

      Thanks for the help. I will have to go over it and look at a map to see where
      everything is.

      100% pure blood, that's rough.

      I lived in Osage County, Oklahoma for a few years more that 35 years ago. The
      whole county was given to the Osage Indian tribe as a reservation because the
      government didn't think the land was worth much.

      And then oil was discovered!

      The Osage Indian tribe retained all the mineral, ore, etc rights to the land
      and names of all the Osage Indians were placed on a tribal list and received,
      and probably receive even to this day, royalties (or whatever it is called)
      from the oil taken from their land.

      Doris Day, Randolph Scott, and a few other movie stars owned oil companies
      there. An oil well was working and pumping oil 24 hours a day, and if you turned
      in a circle you could see wells pumping oil.

      The Indians who received a "headright" from the tribe could pass his
      headright down to his children when he or she died. Needless to say, there were a lot
      of wealthy Osage Indians when I lived there.

      Faye Hays