1833

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2005
      I ran across some old notes in an old database, and even enjoyed rereading
      them myself. I think I have other backups for it somewhere, will have to look.

      Here is one that I came across.

      Halley's Comet

      Tarborough Free Press

      Singular Phenomenon

      November 15, 1833

      Early Wednesday morning last, several of our citizens were roused from

      their slumbers to witness an extraordinary phenomenon. It bore the

      resemblance of stars "shooting madly from their spheres" and in such

      numbers in some directions as to resemble flakes of snow--commencing about

      two hours before day and continuing until broad daylight. They did not

      appear to be all one size--some were larger than others, and left a streak

      of fire behind them which was visible for some time. It was not confined to

      any particular part of the firmament, but extended in every direction. This

      singular, and so far as we have heard, unprecedented circumstance, has set

      most of our people a wondering, and excited in no small degree the fears of

      the superstitious.