Price-any connection

  • Evelyn Hendricks
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
      Do any of you on this list know if any of the Price family from either
      Greene, Duplin, or Wayne counties was ever a missionary to any of the
      Oriental countries?A distant cousin called yesterday and asked me if I knew
      if any of them was ever a missionary. She had been going through her
      mother's things and found a very old oriental fan that she remembered from
      her childhood. She remembers being told that it belonged to her mother's
      aunt, who would have been my grandmother. Then she recalled several other
      oriental things that she had always been told came from China from a
      missionary.
      I recall one time when I was in about the seventh grade a missionary came to
      school to talk to us at a chapel service. His name was John Price. The next
      time I saw my grandmother I asked her if we were any kin to him. She perked
      up and seemed to be interested until I told he was from Virginia. She lost
      interest then and would not discuss it any further. (That seems to be a
      Price trait.)
      That, put with what my cousin told me yesterday, makes me wonder if perhaps
      one of them somewhere down the line had been a missionary. I do know that
      two of them, Lewis and Henry, born in the late 1850's, went to Utah and
      joined the Mormon church, as it was then known. I don't know if they joined
      the church before going to Utah or after they got there. It seems likely
      that it was before they went. They were the sons of Henry Price and either
      his second or third wife. My great grandfather was the son of Henry by his
      first wife, Mary Margaret Graham.
      I know this is rambling, and probably not too clear, but I do hope someone
      will be able to shed some little shred of information on this subject.
      Evelyn
    • bforbes@carolina.rr.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
        Evelyn - I am not Mormon but I know and have worked with quite a few from
        that denomination, especially when I was overseas. Missions have been a
        virtual requirement of a Mormon's faith journey since the church's
        beginnings, and they've given a lot of emphasis to missions abroad (in
        addition to your own neighborhood), especially around the Pacific Rim and
        in the Orient. So it would not be unusual if one or both of your Price
        ancestors who were Mormon were missionaries for brief stints... the minimum
        requirement has typically been two years, but some of them find their
        life's calling in the mission field. And if they were connected with the
        Latter Day Saints, you can bet that their service records are safely stored
        somewhere within the church archives in Salt Lake City. It's "just" a
        matter of finding them!

[...]

        Pitt County Historical Society:

        information:

        We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Evelyn Hendricks
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
          Thank you for this information. I am not Mormon, nor were any of direct
          ancestors. The two who went to Utah were half-brothers of my
          great-grandfather. I have no idea how to go about finding their records if
          there are any. I have often wondered if the town of "Price" in Utah was
          perhaps where they settled and the town named for them.
          Evelyn
          > Evelyn - I am not Mormon but I know and have worked with quite a few from
          > that denomination, especially when I was overseas. Missions have been a
          > virtual requirement of a Mormon's faith journey since the church's
          > beginnings, and they've given a lot of emphasis to missions abroad (in
          > addition to your own neighborhood), especially around the Pacific Rim and
          > in the Orient. So it would not be unusual if one or both of your Price
          > ancestors who were Mormon were missionaries for brief stints... the
          minimum
          > requirement has typically been two years, but some of them find their
          > life's calling in the mission field. And if they were connected with the
          > Latter Day Saints, you can bet that their service records are safely
          stored
          > somewhere within the church archives in Salt Lake City. It's "just" a
          > matter of finding them!

        • faye12601
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
            Evelyn,
            My father in law's (from the midwest) sister married into a Mormon
            family in the midwest. They adopted a boy, he may have been from
            within their own family-sister, brother, etc. Not quite sure. But he
            was a wild, wild child.
            As a Mormon, they are required (asked?) to take a missionary tour of
            two years. Some take it within the US, but he took his two year tour
            in South America. That two years has been credited with turning him
            from a wild child into a responsible young man who came back home,
            went on to college and became a very good doctor.
            No comparison to the young man he once was.

            Some take their missionary tours in the states, and often are seen
            riding their bikes about town instead of cars.

            Faye Hays
            --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Evelyn Hendricks" <rebh@e...>
            wrote:

            > Do any of you on this list know if any of the Price family from
            either
            > Greene, Duplin, or Wayne counties was ever a missionary to any of
            the
            > Oriental countries?A distant cousin called yesterday and asked me
            if I knew
            > if any of them was ever a missionary. She had been going through her
            > mother's things and found a very old oriental fan that she
            remembered from
            > her childhood. She remembers being told that it belonged to her
            mother's
            > aunt, who would have been my grandmother. Then she recalled several
            other
            > oriental things that she had always been told came from China from a
            > missionary.
            > I recall one time when I was in about the seventh grade a
            missionary came to
            > school to talk to us at a chapel service. His name was John Price.
            The next
            > time I saw my grandmother I asked her if we were any kin to him.
            She perked
            > up and seemed to be interested until I told he was from Virginia.
            She lost
            > interest then and would not discuss it any further. (That seems to
            be a
            > Price trait.)
            > That, put with what my cousin told me yesterday, makes me wonder if
            perhaps
            > one of them somewhere down the line had been a missionary. I do
            know that
            > two of them, Lewis and Henry, born in the late 1850's, went to Utah
            and
            > joined the Mormon church, as it was then known. I don't know if
            they joined
            > the church before going to Utah or after they got there. It seems
            likely
            > that it was before they went. They were the sons of Henry Price and
            either
            > his second or third wife. My great grandfather was the son of Henry
            by his
            > first wife, Mary Margaret Graham.
            > I know this is rambling, and probably not too clear, but I do hope
            someone
            > will be able to shed some little shred of information on this
            subject.
            > Evelyn

          • Bob Forbes
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
              It appears that Price, Utah was named after LDS Bishop William Price 1869,
              which would likely have made him just a little older than those
              half-brothers to your gr-grandfather, since they were born in 1850's.
              Here's part of the Price, Utah history I Googled:
              Price, the county seat of Carbon County, is the largest city in the county
              and is located in the Price River Valley of the Colorado Plateau province of
              Utah. It is believed that Price was named after LDS Bishop William Price of
              Goshen, Utah, who explored the region in 1869. The area was originally a
              part of Sanpete County, and then was included in Emery County when it was
              created in 1880. Price was organized on 14 July 1892 while it was still a
              part of Emery County.

              If those two brothers were members of the Mormon (now LDS) Church for any
              appreciable time period, you can be virtually certain there is some record
              of them in the LDS Church Hdqtrs at Salt Lake City. The folks at
              Ancestry.com would be able to help you with that search.

              > Thank you for this information. I am not Mormon, nor were any of direct
              > ancestors. The two who went to Utah were half-brothers of my
              > great-grandfather. I have no idea how to go about finding their records if
              > there are any. I have often wondered if the town of "Price" in Utah was
              > perhaps where they settled and the town named for them.
              > Evelyn

            • Evelyn Hendricks
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 12, 2005
                Thank you. I will give it a try.
                Evelyn

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 13, 2005
                  Evelyn,
                  What were their names and dates?

                  Paula Anne Baker
                  paulabaker69@...
                  Greene County NC
                • Evelyn Hendricks
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 13, 2005
                    One of them was Gideon. I am not sure of the other one. It was in my mind
                    that they were Henry and Lewis, but when I looked up my records instead of
                    trusting my memory, I found Gideon. There were two of them. When I get my
                    written notes unpacked I will see if I can find it for you. It would have
                    been in the 1870's, probably.
                    Evelyn

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 14, 2005
                      Evelyn,
                      I've been looking around some. Did they stay in Utah or come back to NC?

                      Paula Anne Baker
                      paulabaker69@...
                      Greene County NC
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 14, 2005
                        Name: Lewis H Price
                        Home in 1900: White Hall, Wayne, North Carolina
                        Age: 43
                        Estimated birth year: 1857
                        Birthplace: North Carolina
                        Race: White
                        Relationship to head-of-house: Head

                        I could not find any Lewis Price in any state other than North Carolina for
                        1900.

                        Paula Anne Baker
                        paulabaker69@...
                        Greene County NC
                      • Evelyn Hendricks
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 14, 2005
                          Thank you for trying.
                          Evelyn
                          > Home in 1900: White Hall, Wayne, North Carolina
                          > Age: 43
                          > Estimated birth year: 1857
                          > Birthplace: North Carolina
                          > Race: White
                          > Relationship to head-of-house: Head
                          >
                          > I could not find any Lewis Price in any state other than North Carolina
                          for
                          > 1900.
                          >

                          > Paula Anne Baker
                          > paulabaker69@...
                          > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC and
                          > Greene County NC
                          > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA

                          information:

                        • Evelyn Hendricks
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 14, 2005
                            One of my letters must have gone astray. Gideon stayed in Utah. I found
                            where he died and where he is buried. I still am not sure of the other one's
                            name.
                            Should I repost the letter that seems to have gone astray?

                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 14, 2005
                              Evelyn,

                              I think this may be one of your people.

                              Search Results | Download

                              Husband
                              Henry Swinson Price

                              1. Lewis Austin Price
                              Male

                              Birth: About 1858 , Wayne, North Carolina
                              Christening:
                              Death:
                              Burial:

                              Paula Anne Baker
                              paulabaker69@...
                              Greene County NC
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 14, 2005
                                Individual Record FamilySearch� Pedigree Resource File

                                Henry Swinson PRICE Compact Disc #13 Pin #803362 (AFN: 388R-1S)
                                Sex: M

                                Event(s):
                                Birth: 28 Jun 1829 Place: ,Wayne,North Carolina
                                Death: 15 Apr 1878 Place: Stantonsburg,Wilson,North Carolina
                                Burial: Place: ,Wilson,North Carolina

                                Parents:
                                Father: John PRICE Disc #13 Pin #803419
                                Mother: Margaret Tabitha SMITH Disc #13 Pin #803420

                                Marriage(s):
                                Spouse: Mary Margaret GRAHAM Disc #13 Pin #805088

                                Marriage: abt 1848 Place: ,,North Carolina

                                Spouse: Mary Ann Pearsall Disc #13 Pin #805087

                                Marriage: 18 Oct 1856 Place: North Carolina

                                Spouse: Martha Ann PHILLIPS Disc #13 Pin #803363

                                Marriage: 19 Dec 1864 Place: ,Wake,North Carolina

                                Paula Anne Baker
                                paulabaker69@...
                                Greene County NC
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 14, 2005
                                  Evelyn,
                                  It looks like in 1910 that L. A. Price b. about 1860 was living in Wilson
                                  County with wife Ella and children. One of the children is a Henry.

                                  Paula Anne Baker
                                  paulabaker69@...
                                  Greene County NC
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 15, 2005
                                    Yes, you can just send it to me privately. I was looking for Lewis and
                                    Henry Price. Is that wrong?

                                    Paula Anne Baker
                                    paulabaker69@...
                                    Greene County NC
                                  • amaryllish@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 24, 2005
                                      I just know of one Price connection. Greene County, NC. I would appreciate
                                      any info anyone has on surname Price. This may or may not be correct.
                                      Unverified at this time. I have verified the Wainwright connection

                                      George Price married Mary Alice Moore
                                      Son of George and Mary Price: David Marlowe Price Born: Feb 01, 1924
                                      David married Dorothy Mae Hamm on July 21, 1943, she is the daughter of
                                      Harvey Hamm and Sinnie Rouse. Dorothy was born: Oct 22, 1924 in Trenton, Jones
                                      County, NC
                                      Children of David and Dorothy Price:
                                      1. Hazel Marie Price born July 14, 1946-Farmville, Pitt Co., NC-married 1st
                                      Freddy Wainwright on August 2, 1963 in Pitt Co. son of Jack Wainwright and
                                      Ruth Turner.
                                      Children of Freddy and Hazel Wainwright
                                      1. Nanette Lynn Wainwright born May 22, 1964 at Snow Hill Clinic, Greene Co,
                                      NC
                                      2. Eric Steven Wainwright born September 12, 1971 at Pitt Memorial Hospital,
                                      Pitt County,Greenville, NC. Married Robin Carol Leggett on December 26,
                                      1994, the daughter of Robbie Leggett and Carol Midyette.
                                      Married 2nd Donald Cannon on Oct 14, 1995.
                                      2. Dolly Mae Price born May 25, 1948 at home, Greene Co., NC. Married Johnny
                                      Lewis Lee on June 2, 1970.
                                      3. David Marlowe Price, Jr. born May 9, 1953 at home, Greene Co., Snow Hill,
                                      NC
                                      4. Dean Price born January 14, 1955, Snow Hill Clinic, Greene Co., NC died
                                      January 14, 1955.
                                      5. Gordon Ray Price born Oct 2, 1958 in Snow Hill Clinic, Greene Co., NC
                                      6. Emmette Eugene Price born April 8, 1963 in Snow Hill Clinic, Greene Co.,
                                      NC

                                      I hope this helps in the search for Price.
                                      Your friend in research. Amy Hunt (_amaryllish@..._
                                      (mailto:amaryllish@...) )

                                    • Evelyn Hendricks
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 24, 2005
                                        Amy,
                                        Do you know anything about the Price's that may go back to the late 1700's
                                        and early 1800's. One of them was named James. I am trying to determine if
                                        Nancy Price, who married Mathew (Mathy) Carraway, was his daughter.
                                        Evelyn

                                      • cherylannjones@juno.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 30, 2005
                                          Alll of my PRICE lines hail from the eastern part of NC in the Halifax, Edgecombe county areas. My earliest PRICE ancestor is Whit (either Whittmore or Whitmell) PRICE who was born circa 1800. He married Julia SOREY, daughter of Willowby and Julia SOREY.

                                          Cheryl

                                        • amaryllish@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 30, 2005
                                            I do not at this time Evelyn, but I'll let you know if I run across this
                                            info. Amy

                                          • Marcia McLawhorn
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 4, 2006
                                              Dear Evelyn,

                                              Out of curosity, I did a google search on
                                              "Mary Margaret Graham", Price

                                              The search found a web site that you may be interested
                                              in, if you had not already seen it:
                                              "Bonnie Brown Lacey's Family Homepage" on rootsweb.

                                              The search raised an interesting question, "Is the
                                              middle initial of "S" for Swinson or Swain?" I have
                                              the same issue with John S. McGlawhorn. I do not know
                                              if the "S" is for Stanley or Spencer or possibly there
                                              are two different people whom I have combined.

                                              Marcia

                                              PS. I also found Henry S. Price married Mary Ann
                                              Pearsall on the Wayne county marriage list.

                                              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                              dsl.yahoo.com
                                            • Evelyn Hendricks
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 4, 2006
                                                Thank you for this information.
                                                I don't know for sure what the "S" is for. I have seen both versions. His
                                                granddaughter did tell me it Swain, and she knew him personally I would be
                                                inclined to believe her.
                                                Mary Ann Pearsall was either the second or third wife of Henry. I don't
                                                remember which without looking it up.