Indian Heritage

  • Jo Webb
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
      Before arrival of Raleigh's colonist the Tuscarora Confederacy, of Iroquoian Stock were in control of practically all of NC, from the coastal plains west of the band of low-lying coastal swamps to the piedmont, and from the present Va. line southward to the Cape Fear River.

      There were hundreds of villages of Tuscarora, on every waterway and tributary in NC. The villages were spaced twenty to thirty miles from each other, so that each village would have room to hunt and fish without dwindling the natural resources.

      The Tuscarora had a matriarchal society, consisting of Clans. The child always followed the mothers Clan and mating within the same Clan was prohibited. Each village or Clan had their own Chief, Sub or War Chief, Shaman, Medicine people, and Council, chosen by the Clan Mothers.

      The Tuscarora ranged 50 to 100 miles from their towns along the Roanoke, Tar-Pamlico, Haw and Neuse river to fish and gather, and hunt. Traders also followed trails from the coast to the foothills, exercising a monopoly on trade between the coast and the piedmont. Sometimes the Tuscarora built towns for hunting quarters. The Tuscarora language was understood by most tribes and was the trade language used, and also the Tuscaroras's were referred to by the white men as the first "five percent men". Meaning they charged passage through their country, on their ferry systems, in which large hemp ropes lay across rivers, and creeks and log barges were pulled across. A copy of this system still exists today called the Sans Souci Ferry in Bertie County, North Carolina.

      Source:Tuscarora Southern Ban Indidan Tribe

    • Lou-BB
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
        Jo,
        I found your Indian Heritage article very interesting. I'm putting together
        another book called, "Elm City RFD, not Mayberry," and I mention the
        Tuscarora Indians. Small world!~!~! Lou-BB.
        The following was written by Mr. J.T. Watson:
        The History of Toisnot-Elm City from 1873-1932
        By J. T. Watson 1931
        Perhaps it will be of interest to some to know that the town of Elm City was
        first named Toisnot. It was in the year of our Lord 1873 that Toisnot came
        into existence. It is situated in the northeastern part of Wilson County, on
        the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad. Toisnot is an Indian name that was given
        by them to a swampy creek, which has been noted for the abundance of fish
        and snakes.

        Tradition tells us that when the Tuscarora Indians inhabited this section
        that they were crossing this swamp at or near where the railroad crosses it,
        they came to a shady ledge and decided to rest. While sitting there an
        Indian Squaw spied a huge snake lying on a boulder nearby, sprang to her
        feet and exclaimed "TOSS NOT," meaning in their language to "TARRY NOT."
        From that day to this the stream has been known as "Toisnot Swamp." Though
        spelled Toisnot it is pronounced Toss-Not.

        > Before arrival of Raleigh's colonist the Tuscarora Confederacy, of
        Iroquoian Stock were in control of practically all of NC, from the coastal
        plains west of the band of low-lying coastal swamps to the piedmont, and
        from the present Va. line southward to the Cape Fear River.

        > There were hundreds of villages of Tuscarora, on every waterway and
        tributary in NC. The villages were spaced twenty to thirty miles from each
        other, so that each village would have room to hunt and fish without
        dwindling the natural resources.

        > The Tuscarora had a matriarchal society, consisting of Clans. The child
        always followed the mothers Clan and mating within the same Clan was
        prohibited. Each village or Clan had their own Chief, Sub or War Chief,
        Shaman, Medicine people, and Council, chosen by the Clan Mothers.

        > The Tuscarora ranged 50 to 100 miles from their towns along the Roanoke,
        Tar-Pamlico, Haw and Neuse river to fish and gather, and hunt. Traders also
        followed trails from the coast to the foothills, exercising a monopoly on
        trade between the coast and the piedmont. Sometimes the Tuscarora built
        towns for hunting quarters. The Tuscarora language was understood by most
        tribes and was the trade language used, and also the Tuscaroras's were
        referred to by the white men as the first "five percent men". Meaning they
        charged passage through their country, on their ferry systems, in which
        large hemp ropes lay across rivers, and creeks and log barges were pulled
        across. A copy of this system still exists today called the Sans Souci
        Ferry in Bertie County, North Carolina.

        > Source:Tuscarora Southern Ban Indidan Tribe

        information:

      • Trish Worthington Cobb
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
          Lou,
          I like that tradition of the name Toisnot.
          Not to cast doubt on the meaning of the name, but Powell in his NC
          Gazetteer writes that the name was derived from a Tuscarora Indian town
          named Tosneoc near the confluence of Buck Branch and Toisnot Swamp. He
          also, writes that until the 1850s the name was spelled Tosneot.
          Thanks for letting us know the way the name is pronounced. I had been
          saying "toys-not."
          I am glad some of these old names are still used for the natural
          features of our state.
          Trish

        • Lou-BB
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
            Trish,
            What I emailed came from a small pamphlet written by Mr. Watson in 1931.
            That's all I can tell you. During my 65 + years, I have heard it pronounced
            as Toe-is-not.I like Toss-not better, though. Haven't read anything by Mr.
            Powell.
            Linda B