Re: [genpcncfir]

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2005
      Dear Dani,
      This selection is absolutely priceless and a very
      fitting tribute to our group.
      A friend of mine in graduate school is a poet. As
      a result of his service in Viet Nam, he wrote a "Night
      Before Christmas" rendition using the meter of Robert
      Service's "The Cremation of Sam McGee," the poem that
      got me hooked on poetry.
      I have never read a copy. Dick recited it to us
      one day, so I know only snippets. The poem was a real
      howl, so forgive my murder of my friend's art.
      The refrain goes something like this:
      "There are strange things done beneath the
      Vietnamese sun,
      but the night that locked my jaws was the night
      beneath
      the Vietnamese moon when the Third Platoon gunned
      down
      Santa Claus."

      The author is Richard Steel. Later, Carol