Fwd: [genpcncfir] Question about Death Certificates (CORRECTED COPY)

  • John V Lucas Jr
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2005
      Dear Cousins,

      Some of my cousins may not have picked up on my earlier email (see
      below) on how to get around the privacy-act rules set forth by the
      State of Virginia and other states, as well. In my opinion, I believe
      these rules were established to protect the various states from being
      sued. I can tell you from first hand experience, the several states do
      not have the resources, or the necessary funds, to investigate
      applicant requests to determine their eligibility to receive these type
      records. As I alluded to in my earlier email (see below), it's knowing
      how to play the game. For instance, some ten years ago, I attempted to
      obtain birth and death records pertaining my late father's sister (my
      aunt), who died in Pittsburgh, PA. My requests were initially denied
      due to the fact that I was not the deceased' next of kin (my aunt died
      during the Flu Epidemic of 1918). I was frustrated to no end, because
      my late father never knew when when his sister was born, exact death
      date, or place of burial. A month or so later, I resubmitted my
      requests, except this time around, I indicated that the deceased was my
      sister (rather than aunt). To my satisfaction, I subsequently received
      both records. As you can see, the State of Pennsylvania is even more
      stringent than the State of Virginia in some instances. Yes, I have
      had to periodically stretch the truth to obtain this type of
      information. The fact is, however, that none of are going to be here
      long enough to wait until the state statues legally allow these records
      to be released. So I guess what I'm saying is: How badly do you need
      those records to properly record your family genealogy? If we play it
      strictly by the book, we lose. It's a decision that each of us make --
      one way or the other. Good luck to you.

      Respectfully Yours,

      Cousin John
      West Melbourne, FL.