Re: Which is the right one? Owens/Phillips

  • kakgkp
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2005
      Hi Faye,

      Those Owens are definitely confusing, and the reason you're so mixed
      up now is that you have several different families and lines
      confused with each other. Some of the information you included is
      also either unproved or incorrect.

      For example, your descendants of William Owens Sr are not all
      correct. William Owens who married Elizabeth Deverson may be the son
      of William but, to my knowledge, that hasn't been proven by anyone.
      He was also born about 1795, not 1820. Vicey Owens who married Hardy
      Webb is the daughter of William b. abt 1795, not William b. abt.
      1762. The rest are possibilities, but I haven't found any proof that
      definitely connects them to the William b. abt. 1762.

      James "Jim" Buck Owens is the father of the Johnnie Owens who
      married Nora Phillips. Jim Buck's parents are probably John Owens
      and Polly Wooten. John William Owens, son of William Owens b. abt.
      1795 (the one I discussed above) is a different line.

      Hope this helps,

      Kimberly

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, eahsr16@a... wrote:

      > I am thoroughly confused. Which John William Owens is the father
      of James Jim
      > Buck Owens?
      >
      > Descendants of William Sr. Owens
      >
      > 1 William Sr. Owens 1762 -
      > . +Temperance Averett
      > ........ 2 Milly Owens 1810 -
      > ............ +Riley Webb 1815 - 1862
      > ........ 2 Amos (Sr) Owens 1812 -
      > ............ +Sallie Felton
      > ........ 2 Vicey Owens 1821 - 1899
      > ............ +Hardy Webb 1821 -
      > ........ 2 Daniel Owens 1820 -
      > ............ +Elizabeth Thorne
      > ........ 2 William Jr. Owens 1820 - 1878
      > ............ +unknown
      > ........ *2nd Wife of William Jr. Owens:
      > ............ +Elizabeth Deverson
      >
      > William Owens, Jr. and Elizabeth Deverson had a son named John
      William Owens
      > who married Anne:
      >
      > 1 John Willliam Owens 1837 -
      1910++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      > . +Anne 1843 - 1915++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      > ........ 2 William Levy Owens 1867 - 1924
      > ............ +Lenora Owens 1878 - 1947
      > ........ 2 Mary Elizabeth Owens 1868 - 1935
      > ............ +William H. Windham
      > ........ 2 Reuben Owens 1871 - 1919
      > ............ +Ella Hayes
      > AND ??????2 James Jim Buck Owens who married Polly Wooten, OR
      > _______________________________
      >
      > Descendants of Dempsey Goodman Owens
      >
      > 1 Dempsey Goodman Owens 1801 - 1880
      > . +Nancy Pitt 1803 -
      > ........ 2 John William Owens 1823 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
      > +Polly Wooten
      > (Married Jan 12, 1853)
      > ........ 2 Elizabeth Owens 1833 -
      > ............ +Jonas Gray Cobb
      > ........ 2 [1] James Gray Owens 1836 - 1909
      > ............ +[2] Barbara Elizabeth Killebrew 1840 - 1913
      > ........ 2 Robert Owens
      > *2nd Wife of Dempsey Goodman Owens:
      > . +Rachel
      > ........ 2 [1] James Gray Owens 1836 - 1909
      > ............ +[2] Barbara Elizabeth Killebrew 1840 - 1913
      > ........ 2 Nancy Caroline Owens 1840 - 1901
      > ............ +Joseph Sr. Everett 1833 -
      > _________________
      >
      > JOHN WILLIAM OWENS M POLLY WOOTEN AND SON WAS
      >
      > JAMES JIM BUCK Owens?
      > _____________________________________
      >
      > Which one of the above is the father of James Jim Buck Owens? I
      have seen
      > material that says both sets of parents are the father of James
      Jim Buck Owens,
      > who was the father of John (Johnnie) William Owens, who married
      Nora Phillips?
      > ___________________
      >
      > The Dempsey Goodman Owens who married Nancy Pitt (or Henry?) had a
      son named
      > Robert that would fit the 1860 Edgecombe County census report for
      >
      > 1860 Edge. Co. census listed Dempsey Owens as 61 years old, a
      farmer, and
      > living alone. His son Robert, age 17, was living with Jonas G.
      Cobb.
      > __________________________
      >
      > If James Gray Owens is the brother of John William Owens who
      married Polly
      > Wooten, then I have a note for James Gray Owens giving this
      location for him:

      > Buried in James Gray Owens Cemetery on Edward Norville Wooten's
      farm adjacent
      > to Columbus Washington Owens' farm, Old Market Rd., between
      Macclesfield and
      > Fountain, N. C.
      > _____________________
      >
      > So, I am stuck on who were the actual parents of James Jim Buck
      Owens who
      > married Polly Wooten.
      >
      > So, if there is a third Owens who fits the timeline for John
      William Owens
      > that moved to
      >
      > "I believe that Goodman Owens and his wife Rachel moved to Madison
      County,

    • LdMel1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11, 2005
        I talked with Mrs Allie Jones before she died concerning her mother's family. I have the marriage cert. of Cora Owens to Ardelius Jones and on it she lists her parents as Analiza Owens and Jim Buck Owens. Her father's complete name was James Silas Owens, but was called Jim Buck per Ms Allie. They were living in Saratoga, Pitt Co., at the time. The marriage took place July 1909 and both her parents were living.
        May be we can all piece this puzzle together. Thanks
        Linda Melvin

        Those Owens are definitely confusing, and the reason you're so mixed
        up now is that you have several different families and lines
        confused with each other. Some of the information you included is
        also either unproved or incorrect.

        For example, your descendants of William Owens Sr are not all
        correct. William Owens who married Elizabeth Deverson may be the son
        of William but, to my knowledge, that hasn't been proven by anyone.
        He was also born about 1795, not 1820. Vicey Owens who married Hardy
        Webb is the daughter of William b. abt 1795, not William b. abt.
        1762. The rest are possibilities, but I haven't found any proof that
        definitely connects them to the William b. abt. 1762.

        James "Jim" Buck Owens is the father of the Johnnie Owens who
        married Nora Phillips. Jim Buck's parents are probably John Owens
        and Polly Wooten. John William Owens, son of William Owens b. abt.
        1795 (the one I discussed above) is a different line.

        Hope this helps,

        Kimberly

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, eahsr16@a... wrote:

        > I am thoroughly confused. Which John William Owens is the father
        of James Jim
        > Buck Owens?
        >
        > Descendants of William Sr. Owens
        >
        > 1 William Sr. Owens 1762 -
        > . +Temperance Averett
        > ........ 2 Milly Owens 1810 -
        > ............ +Riley Webb 1815 - 1862
        > ........ 2 Amos (Sr) Owens 1812 -
        > ............ +Sallie Felton
        > ........ 2 Vicey Owens 1821 - 1899
        > ............ +Hardy Webb 1821 -
        > ........ 2 Daniel Owens 1820 -
        > ............ +Elizabeth Thorne
        > ........ 2 William Jr. Owens 1820 - 1878
        > ............ +unknown
        > ........ *2nd Wife of William Jr. Owens:
        > ............ +Elizabeth Deverson
        >
        > William Owens, Jr. and Elizabeth Deverson had a son named John
        William Owens
        > who married Anne:
        >
        > 1 John Willliam Owens 1837 -
        1910++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> [...]
        married Polly
        > Wooten, then I have a note for James Gray Owens giving this
        location for him:

        > Buried in James Gray Owens Cemetery on Edward Norville Wooten's
        farm adjacent
        > to Columbus Washington Owens' farm, Old Market Rd., between
        Macclesfield and
        > Fountain, N. C.
        > _____________________
        >
        > So, I am stuck on who were the actual parents of James Jim Buck
        Owens who
        > married Polly Wooten.
        >
        > So, if there is a third Owens who fits the timeline for John
        William Owens
        > that moved to
        >
        > "I believe that Goodman Owens and his wife Rachel moved to Madison
        County,
        > TN, after selling their land in 1839. They are enumerated there in

        information:

        We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group if you
        are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern and
        Coastal North Carolina counties.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • kakgkp
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11, 2005
          Hi Linda,

          I didn't know that James Silas was also known as "Jim Buck" - that's
          the type of thing that's great to learn from the locals. Thanks for
          sharing! My grandfather - the Owens line in my family tree - died
          when he was just 47 of pancreatic cancer (the day I turned 6 months
          old) and I never got to ask the family questions.

          I do have James Silas Owens (b. abt. 1853 d. 22 Dec 1919). He was
          the son of my ggg-grandfather, Kinchen P. Owens. Brother to my gg-
          grandfather, Dempsey Freeman Owens. He married Allie Eliza Owens (b.
          27 Jun 1860 d. 22 Apr 1915), daughter of John T. Owens and Polly
          Wooten. Ally E. Owens is buried in the John William Owens cemetery
          in Edgecombe. I'm not sure if James Silas is there or not. I didn't
          see his tombstone when I was there...and it was so many years ago
          that I didn't know who any of the people buried there were. I only
          copied them down because they were Owens and because it was such a
          run-down cemetery.

          There is at least one other James Buck Owens, son of James Grey
          Owens and Barbara Killebrew. Obviously a popular name!

          Kimberly

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 12, 2005
            About what year was Cora Owens born?

            Paula Anne Baker
            paulabaker69@...
            Greene County NC
          • LdMel1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 12, 2005
              Thanks for the additional info. That will save me time in researching. I thought Cora's mother was probably named Allie according to the naming pattern that was used so much back then. Allie was named for Cora's mother. I will be checking the Wilson County Reg. of Deeds next week for what I can find. Saratoga was in Wilson Co. part of the time. That is where I found the marriage cert. I really had a hard time finding out that Jim Buck was James Silas Owens. I did finally find it in census records. 1930 census, Fountain, Pitt Co. in the Hardy B Owens hh I found Cora listed as a Widow and niece with her 3 children. Check it out.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 12, 2005

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 12, 2005
                  Yes, Hardy Budrowe Owens was the brother of Allie Eliza Owens.

                  You'll have fun researching this family as they couldn't seem to
                  stay put. J. S. Owens appears in the Edgecombe Census in Auters
                  Creek Township. In 1900, they're living in Wilson County (enumerated
                  as Silas Owens). And in 1910, they've moved on to Pitt County
                  (Falkland Township) as James S. Owens. I'm descended from James'
                  brother, Dempsey, whose property straddled all three counties, so
                  I've become very familiar with having to look everywhere <grin>