Re: Dempsey

  • kakgkp
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2005
      Hi Linda,

      Yes, I've been researching Dempsey Owens b. abt. 1801 for quite a
      while. I'm descended directly through Kinchen and Caroline. Nice to
      meet a "cousin"!

      Dempsey Owens died intestate in 1871, not 1880. His estate was
      probated in Edgecombe County Court with his son James G. Owens as
      administrator. The estate record consists primarily of an inventory
      of his household possessions. It also lists the children. The
      disposition of his land is recorded in the Edgecombe County deed
      books - also in 1871.

      I'm also not convinced that he had two wives. I know the 1850 census
      made Nancy too young to be the wife of the eldest children, but it
      could have been an error. I'm not saying that it isn't a big
      possiblity that he had two wives, just that I'm not convinced of it
      yet.

      Do you have proof of Goodman as Dempsey's middle name? I don't have
      a single record that lists it, although it is a name obviously
      passed down to many descendants.

      Kimberly

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Lou-BB" <Lou-BB@n...> wrote:

      > Kimberly,
      >

      > Hope this helps. This is what I have on Dempsey Goodman Owens, my
      GGG
      > Grandfather.
      >

      > Generation No. 5
      >
      > #1A. Dempsey Goodman Owens (5), B. 1801 D. 1880,
      >
      > M. 1st Unknown
      >
      > Children born of this union two daughters and three sons
      > #1a John Owens (6), B. Abt. 1822, M. Polly Wooten
      >
      > #2a Kinchen P. Owens (6), B. 1824, D. 1898,
      >
      > M. Rebecca Crisp, B. 1821, D. Oct. 1898
      >
      > #3a Ester Owens, B. Abt. 1826
      >
      > #4a Len Owens, B. Abt. 1827, M. Sally Bunn Dec. 6, 1848
      >
      > #5a Naomi Owens, B. Abt. 1829,(M. Joseph Dunn, Dec.12,
      1852)

      > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      >
      > M. 2nd Nancy Pitt, ** B.1814, D. 1860
      >
      > Children born of this union five daughters and three sons
      >
      > #6a Elizabeth (6) Owens, B. 1833
      >
      > **#7a James Gray Owens, B. May 17, 1834, D. May 1909.(My GG
      > Grandfather)
      >
      > #8a Trasena Owens, B. 1837, M. Job Felton, B. 1800's
      >
      > #9a Nancy Caroline Owens, B. 1840, D. June 21, 1901,
      >
      > M. Joseph Everette
      >
      > #10a Daniel Owens, B. 1842
      >
      > #11a William Robert Owens, B. Mar. 14, 1842, D. July 3,
      1923

      > M. Georgia Ella Flemming, B. July 12, 1853, D.
      Sept. 22,
      > 1895
      >
      > #12a Mary Eliza Owens, B. 1846, M. Edwin Jones
      >
      > #13a Esther Owens, M. Thomas Dunn, Nov. 12, 1845
      >

      > Linda Bottoms Bass

      Cobb.

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
        Edgecombe County, North Carolina Vital Records, 1720-1880 Record
        about Pippen, Mary A.
        Name: Pippen, Mary A.
        Birth Date: Bef 1840
        Marriage Date: Sep 20, 1853
        Spouse's Name: Dempsey Owens
        Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
        Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC

        Name: Owens, Dempsey
        Birth Date: 1799
        Marriage Date: Sep 20, 1853
        Date of Death: Aft 1860
        Spouse's Name: Mary A. Pippen
        Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
        Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC

        Name: Owens, Dempsey
        Birth Date: 1801
        Marriage Date: Mar 21, 1855
        Date of Death: Aft 1850
        Spouse's Name: Celia A.E. Howard
        Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
        Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC

        Paula Anne Baker
        paulabaker69@...
        Greene County NC
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
          View Record Name Gender Spouse Marriage Date Marriage County

          View Record Celia A. E. Howard Female Dempsey Owens 21 Mar 1855 Edgecombe
          View Record Dempsey Owens Male Mary Pippen 20 Sep 1853 Edgecombe
          View Record Dempsey Owens Male Celia Howard 21 Mar 1855 Edgecombe
          View Record Mary A. Pippen Female Dempsey Owens 20 Sep 1853 Edgecombe

          View Record Groom Bride Marriage Date County Bondsman Witness

          View Record Dempsey Owens Celia A E Howard 21 Mar 1855 Edgecombe William
          X Owe W. S. Pitt, (CL
          View Record Dempsey Owens Mary A Pippen 20 Sep 1853 Edgecombe William
          (X) Owe W. S. Pitt, (Clerk

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
            Record Name Birth Date Gender Birth County Parent1 Parent2

            Barbara Ann Owens 12 Jun 1937 Edgecombe Dempsey Goodman Owens
            Dempey Bruce Owens 16 May 1916 Pitt Jim Owens Nora Moore
            Dempsey F Owens 30 Jun 1925 Pitt Henry F Owens Ethel M Goff
            Dempsey Goodman Owens 20 Feb 1901 Male Edgecombe Columbus Washington Owens
            Emma Catherine Ellis
            Dempsey Lee Owens 31 May 1946 Male Randolph Dameron Lee Owens Nova Letha
            Saunders
            Dempsey Raymond Owens 15 Apr 1909 Pitt James Turnet Owens Nettie Wooten
            Donna Sue Owens 28 Apr 1969 Female Montgomery Dempsey Lee Owens Jackie
            Louise Northcutt
            James Dempsey Owens 13 Jun 1939 Male Rutherford Blanch Owens
            Miranda Leigh Owens 22 Dec 1994 Moore Dempsey L Owens Jr. Pamela D
            Parsons
            Travers K Owens 4 Oct 1935 Pitt Dempsey R Owens Capitola Matthis
            Unnamed Owens 12 Apr 1926 Male Halifax Dempsey Goodman Owens Flossie Lee
            Newton
            William Lawrence Owens 6 Nov 1930 Male Greene Dempsey Raymond Owens
            Captola Mathews
            Wilton Gene Owens 22 Oct 1938 Pitt Dempsey R Owens Vernia C Matthews

            Paula Anne Baker
            paulabaker69@...
            Greene County NC
          • LdMel1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
              I do not have anything on the Goodman name. That was sent to me by Linda Bass. I am not sure if she proved everything that she put in her book or took other people's word.
              Linda

              Yes, I've been researching Dempsey Owens b. abt. 1801 for quite a
              while. I'm descended directly through Kinchen and Caroline. Nice to
              meet a "cousin"!

              Dempsey Owens died intestate in 1871, not 1880. His estate was
              probated in Edgecombe County Court with his son James G. Owens as
              administrator. The estate record consists primarily of an inventory
              of his household possessions. It also lists the children. The
              disposition of his land is recorded in the Edgecombe County deed
              books - also in 1871.

              I'm also not convinced that he had two wives. I know the 1850 census
              made Nancy too young to be the wife of the eldest children, but it
              could have been an error. I'm not saying that it isn't a big
              possiblity that he had two wives, just that I'm not convinced of it
              yet.

              Do you have proof of Goodman as Dempsey's middle name? I don't have
              a single record that lists it, although it is a name obviously
              passed down to many descendants.

              Kimberly

              --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Lou-BB" <Lou-BB@n...> wrote:

              > Kimberly,
              >

              > Hope this helps. This is what I have on Dempsey Goodman Owens, my
              GGG
              > Grandfather.
              >

              > Generation No. 5
              >
              > #1A. Dempsey Goodman Owens (5), B. 1801 D. 1880,
              >
              > M. 1st Unknown
              >
              > Children born of this union two daughters and three sons
              > #1a John Owens (6), B. Abt. 1822, M. Polly Wooten
              >
              > #2a Kinchen P. Owens (6), B. 1824, D. 1898,
              >
              > M. Rebecca Crisp, B. 1821, D. Oct. 1898
              >
              > #3a Ester Owens, B. Abt. 1826
              >
              > #4a Len Owens, B. Abt. 1827, M. Sally Bunn Dec. 6, 1848
              >
              > #5a Naomi Owens, B. Abt. 1829,(M. Joseph Dunn, Dec.12,
              1852)

              > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
              ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
              > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
              >
              > M. 2nd Nancy Pitt, ** B.1814, D. 1860
              >
              > Children born of this union five daughters and three sons
              >
              > #6a Elizabeth (6) Owens, B. 1833
              >
              > **#7a James Gray Owens, B. May 17, 1834, D. May 1909.(My GG
              > Grandfather)
              >
              > #8a Trasena Owens, B. 1837, M. Job Felton, B. 1800's
              >
              > #9a Nancy Caroline Owens, B. 1840, D. June 21, 1901,
              >
              > M. Joseph Everette
              >
              > #10a Daniel Owens, B. 1842
              >
              > #11a William Robert Owens, B. Mar. 14, 1842, D. July 3,
              1923

              > M. Georgia Ella Flemming, B. July 12, 1853, D.
              Sept. 22,
              > 1895
              >
              > #12a Mary Eliza Owens, B. 1846, M. Edwin Jones
              >
              > #13a Esther Owens, M. Thomas Dunn, Nov. 12, 1845
              >

              > Linda Bottoms Bass

              information:

              We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group if you
              are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern and
              Coastal North Carolina counties.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
                Dear Paula,
                You have helped me before with my McGowan line. I
                have been keeping up with the many contributions you
                have been making to other members of our group seeking
                information on their families. Your Pippen family
                information strikes a chord. Many of my relatives
                settled in neighboring counties before coming to Pitt.
                One line is the Pippen line. This line married into my
                Cherry line. I learned this from the 1850 census
                online resources at the PCFR website.
                Since I do not have my records to hand, I am just
                feeling my way right now. I can get back to you
                shortly with the information I do have. Thanks, Carol

                > Edgecombe County, North Carolina Vital Records,
                > 1720-1880 Record
                > about Pippen, Mary A.
                > Name: Pippen, Mary A.
                > Birth Date: Bef 1840
                > Marriage Date: Sep 20, 1853
                > Spouse's Name: Dempsey Owens
                > Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
                > Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC
                >

                > Name: Owens, Dempsey
                > Birth Date: 1799
                > Marriage Date: Sep 20, 1853
                > Date of Death: Aft 1860
                > Spouse's Name: Mary A. Pippen
                > Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
                > Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC
                >
                > Name: Owens, Dempsey
                > Birth Date: 1801
                > Marriage Date: Mar 21, 1855
                > Date of Death: Aft 1850
                > Spouse's Name: Celia A.E. Howard
                > Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
                > Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC
                >

                > Paula Anne Baker
                > paulabaker69@...
                > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS
                > in Pitt County NC and
                > Greene County NC
                > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC,
                > GA, and LA

                __________________________________
                Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 17, 2005
                  Carol,
                  I don't have Pippens. Just helping out someone else.

                  Paula Anne Baker
                  paulabaker69@...
                  Greene County NC
                • Ruth L. Cunningham
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 4, 2006
                    Sorry, I notice I put the wrong Digest number. I should have been 1762.

                    Ruth Coward Cunningham