Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Dempsey

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2005
      In a message dated 10/10/2005 1:02:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      kimberly@... writes:
      Hi Faye,

      I think you may have two men mixed up here. Dempsey Owens who
      married Nancy Pitt is not the same as Goodman Owens who married
      Rachel. Nancy Pitt was married to Dempsey by the time of her
      mother's will in 1837, and Goodman and Rachel have land deeds dated
      later than that. Dempsey also died in 1871, not 1880.

      They are also both enumerated in the 1830 census. Goodman Owens is
      living in Pitt County. Dempsey is enumerated in Edgecombe in 1830.
      Goodman is also about ten years older than Dempsey.

      I believe that Goodman Owens and his wife Rachel moved to Madison
      County, TN, after selling their land in 1839. They are enumerated
      there in 1840, 1850 and 1860.

      Kimberly

      You've got me confused on Dempseys.

      I have (not necessarily correct) Dempsey Owens 1775-1860

      Source: 1860 Federal Census Edgecombe Co. by Dr. Stephen Bradley:
      Mortality Schedule
      Dempsey Owens age 85, Male, widow, born Virginia, died January 1860
      occupation Cooper, cause of death old age, duration 5 years.
      __________________
      and
      Dempsey Goodman Owens 1801-1880

      Pitt Co., NC Deed books GG - SS
      Item no. 801. Goodman Owens & wife Rachel [II, p. 192/193]
      _________________________
      Who is this Dempsey Owens?
      1860 Edge. Co. census listed Dempsey Owens as 61 years old, a farmer, and
      living alone. His son Robert, age 17, was living with Jonas G. Cobb.
    • Lou-BB
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2005
        Kimberly,

        Hope this helps. This is what I have on Dempsey Goodman Owens, my GGG
        Grandfather.

        Generation No. 5

        #1A. Dempsey Goodman Owens (5), B. 1801 D. 1880,

        M. 1st Unknown

        Children born of this union two daughters and three sons
        #1a John Owens (6), B. Abt. 1822, M. Polly Wooten

        #2a Kinchen P. Owens (6), B. 1824, D. 1898,

        M. Rebecca Crisp, B. 1821, D. Oct. 1898

        #3a Ester Owens, B. Abt. 1826

        #4a Len Owens, B. Abt. 1827, M. Sally Bunn Dec. 6, 1848

        #5a Naomi Owens, B. Abt. 1829,(M. Joseph Dunn, Dec.12, 1852)

        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

        M. 2nd Nancy Pitt, ** B.1814, D. 1860

        Children born of this union five daughters and three sons

        #6a Elizabeth (6) Owens, B. 1833

        **#7a James Gray Owens, B. May 17, 1834, D. May 1909.(My GG
        Grandfather)

        #8a Trasena Owens, B. 1837, M. Job Felton, B. 1800's

        #9a Nancy Caroline Owens, B. 1840, D. June 21, 1901,

        M. Joseph Everette

        #10a Daniel Owens, B. 1842

        #11a William Robert Owens, B. Mar. 14, 1842, D. July 3, 1923

        M. Georgia Ella Flemming, B. July 12, 1853, D. Sept. 22,
        1895

        #12a Mary Eliza Owens, B. 1846, M. Edwin Jones

        #13a Esther Owens, M. Thomas Dunn, Nov. 12, 1845

        Linda Bottoms Bass

        > In a message dated 10/10/2005 1:02:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > kimberly@... writes:
        > Hi Faye,
        >
        > I think you may have two men mixed up here. Dempsey Owens who
        > married Nancy Pitt is not the same as Goodman Owens who married
        > Rachel. Nancy Pitt was married to Dempsey by the time of her
        > mother's will in 1837, and Goodman and Rachel have land deeds dated
        > later than that. Dempsey also died in 1871, not 1880.
        >
        > They are also both enumerated in the 1830 census. Goodman Owens is
        > living in Pitt County. Dempsey is enumerated in Edgecombe in 1830.
        > Goodman is also about ten years older than Dempsey.
        >
        > I believe that Goodman Owens and his wife Rachel moved to Madison
        > County, TN, after selling their land in 1839. They are enumerated
        > there in 1840, 1850 and 1860.
        >
        > Kimberly
        >

        > You've got me confused on Dempseys.
        >
        > I have (not necessarily correct) Dempsey Owens 1775-1860
        >
        > Source: 1860 Federal Census Edgecombe Co. by Dr. Stephen Bradley:
        > Mortality Schedule
        > Dempsey Owens age 85, Male, widow, born Virginia, died January 1860
        > occupation Cooper, cause of death old age, duration 5 years.
        > __________________
        > and
        > Dempsey Goodman Owens 1801-1880
        >
        > Pitt Co., NC Deed books GG - SS
        > Item no. 801. Goodman Owens & wife Rachel [II, p. 192/193]
        > _________________________
        > Who is this Dempsey Owens?
        > 1860 Edge. Co. census listed Dempsey Owens as 61 years old, a farmer, and
        > living alone. His son Robert, age 17, was living with Jonas G. Cobb.

        information:

      • kakgkp
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2005
          Hi Linda,

          Yes, I've been researching Dempsey Owens b. abt. 1801 for quite a
          while. I'm descended directly through Kinchen and Caroline. Nice to
          meet a "cousin"!

          Dempsey Owens died intestate in 1871, not 1880. His estate was
          probated in Edgecombe County Court with his son James G. Owens as
          administrator. The estate record consists primarily of an inventory
          of his household possessions. It also lists the children. The
          disposition of his land is recorded in the Edgecombe County deed
          books - also in 1871.

          I'm also not convinced that he had two wives. I know the 1850 census
          made Nancy too young to be the wife of the eldest children, but it
          could have been an error. I'm not saying that it isn't a big
          possiblity that he had two wives, just that I'm not convinced of it
          yet.

          Do you have proof of Goodman as Dempsey's middle name? I don't have
          a single record that lists it, although it is a name obviously
          passed down to many descendants.

          Kimberly

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
            Edgecombe County, North Carolina Vital Records, 1720-1880 Record
            about Pippen, Mary A.
            Name: Pippen, Mary A.
            Birth Date: Bef 1840
            Marriage Date: Sep 20, 1853
            Spouse's Name: Dempsey Owens
            Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
            Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC

            Name: Owens, Dempsey
            Birth Date: 1799
            Marriage Date: Sep 20, 1853
            Date of Death: Aft 1860
            Spouse's Name: Mary A. Pippen
            Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
            Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC

            Name: Owens, Dempsey
            Birth Date: 1801
            Marriage Date: Mar 21, 1855
            Date of Death: Aft 1850
            Spouse's Name: Celia A.E. Howard
            Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
            Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC

            Paula Anne Baker
            paulabaker69@...
            Greene County NC
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
              View Record Name Gender Spouse Marriage Date Marriage County

              View Record Celia A. E. Howard Female Dempsey Owens 21 Mar 1855 Edgecombe
              View Record Dempsey Owens Male Mary Pippen 20 Sep 1853 Edgecombe
              View Record Dempsey Owens Male Celia Howard 21 Mar 1855 Edgecombe
              View Record Mary A. Pippen Female Dempsey Owens 20 Sep 1853 Edgecombe

              View Record Groom Bride Marriage Date County Bondsman Witness

              View Record Dempsey Owens Celia A E Howard 21 Mar 1855 Edgecombe William
              X Owe W. S. Pitt, (CL
              View Record Dempsey Owens Mary A Pippen 20 Sep 1853 Edgecombe William
              (X) Owe W. S. Pitt, (Clerk

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
                Record Name Birth Date Gender Birth County Parent1 Parent2

                Barbara Ann Owens 12 Jun 1937 Edgecombe Dempsey Goodman Owens
                Dempey Bruce Owens 16 May 1916 Pitt Jim Owens Nora Moore
                Dempsey F Owens 30 Jun 1925 Pitt Henry F Owens Ethel M Goff
                Dempsey Goodman Owens 20 Feb 1901 Male Edgecombe Columbus Washington Owens
                Emma Catherine Ellis
                Dempsey Lee Owens 31 May 1946 Male Randolph Dameron Lee Owens Nova Letha
                Saunders
                Dempsey Raymond Owens 15 Apr 1909 Pitt James Turnet Owens Nettie Wooten
                Donna Sue Owens 28 Apr 1969 Female Montgomery Dempsey Lee Owens Jackie
                Louise Northcutt
                James Dempsey Owens 13 Jun 1939 Male Rutherford Blanch Owens
                Miranda Leigh Owens 22 Dec 1994 Moore Dempsey L Owens Jr. Pamela D
                Parsons
                Travers K Owens 4 Oct 1935 Pitt Dempsey R Owens Capitola Matthis
                Unnamed Owens 12 Apr 1926 Male Halifax Dempsey Goodman Owens Flossie Lee
                Newton
                William Lawrence Owens 6 Nov 1930 Male Greene Dempsey Raymond Owens
                Captola Mathews
                Wilton Gene Owens 22 Oct 1938 Pitt Dempsey R Owens Vernia C Matthews

                Paula Anne Baker
                paulabaker69@...
                Greene County NC
              • LdMel1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
                  I do not have anything on the Goodman name. That was sent to me by Linda Bass. I am not sure if she proved everything that she put in her book or took other people's word.
                  Linda

                  Yes, I've been researching Dempsey Owens b. abt. 1801 for quite a
                  while. I'm descended directly through Kinchen and Caroline. Nice to
                  meet a "cousin"!

                  Dempsey Owens died intestate in 1871, not 1880. His estate was
                  probated in Edgecombe County Court with his son James G. Owens as
                  administrator. The estate record consists primarily of an inventory
                  of his household possessions. It also lists the children. The
                  disposition of his land is recorded in the Edgecombe County deed
                  books - also in 1871.

                  I'm also not convinced that he had two wives. I know the 1850 census
                  made Nancy too young to be the wife of the eldest children, but it
                  could have been an error. I'm not saying that it isn't a big
                  possiblity that he had two wives, just that I'm not convinced of it
                  yet.

                  Do you have proof of Goodman as Dempsey's middle name? I don't have
                  a single record that lists it, although it is a name obviously
                  passed down to many descendants.

                  Kimberly

                  --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Lou-BB" <Lou-BB@n...> wrote:

                  > Kimberly,
                  >

                  > Hope this helps. This is what I have on Dempsey Goodman Owens, my
                  GGG
                  > Grandfather.
                  >

                  > Generation No. 5
                  >
                  > #1A. Dempsey Goodman Owens (5), B. 1801 D. 1880,
                  >
                  > M. 1st Unknown
                  >
                  > Children born of this union two daughters and three sons
                  > #1a John Owens (6), B. Abt. 1822, M. Polly Wooten
                  >
                  > #2a Kinchen P. Owens (6), B. 1824, D. 1898,
                  >
                  > M. Rebecca Crisp, B. 1821, D. Oct. 1898
                  >
                  > #3a Ester Owens, B. Abt. 1826
                  >
                  > #4a Len Owens, B. Abt. 1827, M. Sally Bunn Dec. 6, 1848
                  >
                  > #5a Naomi Owens, B. Abt. 1829,(M. Joseph Dunn, Dec.12,
                  1852)

                  > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                  > ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                  >
                  > M. 2nd Nancy Pitt, ** B.1814, D. 1860
                  >
                  > Children born of this union five daughters and three sons
                  >
                  > #6a Elizabeth (6) Owens, B. 1833
                  >
                  > **#7a James Gray Owens, B. May 17, 1834, D. May 1909.(My GG
                  > Grandfather)
                  >
                  > #8a Trasena Owens, B. 1837, M. Job Felton, B. 1800's
                  >
                  > #9a Nancy Caroline Owens, B. 1840, D. June 21, 1901,
                  >
                  > M. Joseph Everette
                  >
                  > #10a Daniel Owens, B. 1842
                  >
                  > #11a William Robert Owens, B. Mar. 14, 1842, D. July 3,
                  1923

                  > M. Georgia Ella Flemming, B. July 12, 1853, D.
                  Sept. 22,
                  > 1895
                  >
                  > #12a Mary Eliza Owens, B. 1846, M. Edwin Jones
                  >
                  > #13a Esther Owens, M. Thomas Dunn, Nov. 12, 1845
                  >

                  > Linda Bottoms Bass

                  information:

                  We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group if you
                  are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern and
                  Coastal North Carolina counties.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 13, 2005
                    Dear Paula,
                    You have helped me before with my McGowan line. I
                    have been keeping up with the many contributions you
                    have been making to other members of our group seeking
                    information on their families. Your Pippen family
                    information strikes a chord. Many of my relatives
                    settled in neighboring counties before coming to Pitt.
                    One line is the Pippen line. This line married into my
                    Cherry line. I learned this from the 1850 census
                    online resources at the PCFR website.
                    Since I do not have my records to hand, I am just
                    feeling my way right now. I can get back to you
                    shortly with the information I do have. Thanks, Carol

                    > Edgecombe County, North Carolina Vital Records,
                    > 1720-1880 Record
                    > about Pippen, Mary A.
                    > Name: Pippen, Mary A.
                    > Birth Date: Bef 1840
                    > Marriage Date: Sep 20, 1853
                    > Spouse's Name: Dempsey Owens
                    > Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
                    > Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC
                    >

                    > Name: Owens, Dempsey
                    > Birth Date: 1799
                    > Marriage Date: Sep 20, 1853
                    > Date of Death: Aft 1860
                    > Spouse's Name: Mary A. Pippen
                    > Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
                    > Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC
                    >
                    > Name: Owens, Dempsey
                    > Birth Date: 1801
                    > Marriage Date: Mar 21, 1855
                    > Date of Death: Aft 1850
                    > Spouse's Name: Celia A.E. Howard
                    > Location of Birth: Edgecombe co., NC
                    > Location of Marriage: Edgecombe co., NC
                    >

                    > Paula Anne Baker
                    > paulabaker69@...
                    > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS
                    > in Pitt County NC and
                    > Greene County NC
                    > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC,
                    > GA, and LA

                    __________________________________
                    Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                    http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 17, 2005
                      Carol,
                      I don't have Pippens. Just helping out someone else.

                      Paula Anne Baker
                      paulabaker69@...
                      Greene County NC
                    • Ruth L. Cunningham
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 4, 2006
                        Sorry, I notice I put the wrong Digest number. I should have been 1762.

                        Ruth Coward Cunningham