OWENS, Dempsey

  • Vickie L. Norris
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
      Faye,

      Thanks for the additional information.

      You wrote:
      *2nd Wife of Dempsey Owens:
      . +Martha (Millie) Patsy Ann Joyner
      ........ 2 Abigail Owens

      I have:
      Jesse Owen married Patsey Joyner Sept. 10, 1811 in Edgecombe bonded
      by Benjamin Gay witnessed by M. Hearn.
      1850: Speight Twp. Greene County Fed. Cen., Enum. 6th day of Sept.
      1850: HH 402/402 Jesse Owen, age 65, Laborer, Martha Owen, age 60.

      Is this a different Martha Patsy Ann Joyner?
    • eahsr16@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
        In a message dated 10/5/2005 3:57:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        norrisv@... writes:
        I have:
        Jesse Owen married Patsey Joyner Sept. 10, 1811 in Edgecombe bonded
        by Benjamin Gay witnessed by M. Hearn.
        1850: Speight Twp. Greene County Fed. Cen., Enum. 6th day of Sept.
        1850: HH 402/402 Jesse Owen, age 65, Laborer, Martha Owen, age 60.

        Is this a different Martha Patsy Ann Joyner?

        _____________

        I don't know, the two are about 10 years apart in ages according to the
        census.

        One of the Martha Ann Joyners was the daughter (maybe they are the same
        person?) was the daughter of Drewry Joyner who died in 1821 and shows the Martha
        Patsy Owens married at that time to an Owens. Dempsey Owens first wife died by
        1820.

        Source Edgecombe Co. NC Will Abstracts 1793-1823 by David Gammon:

        234 Drewry (x) Joiner (Joyner) 3 June 1820 August court 1821 O E/274.
        Daughter Elizabeth Joiner bed, cow calf, stock of bees. Daughters Susannah Howard
        and Martha (Patsey) Owens seven shillings each. Wife Cealy remaining estate
        during her single life or widowhood and at her death or marriage it shall be
        divided between my son Elverson Joiner and my daughter Elizabeth Joiner

        I also have a Susannah "Howard" above, Susannah Joyner married to a Jordan
        Bruce with a daughter named Martha Patsy Bruce. Don't know any more, if she
        married to Jordan Bruce later or if it is the same Susannah Howard.

        Descendants of Susannah Joyner

        1 Susannah Joyner 1783 - 1839
        . +Jordan Bruce
        ........ 2 Spencer Jackson Bruce
        ........ 2 Willis Bruce
        ........ 2 Martha Patsy Bruce
        ........ 2 James Bruce 1808 - 1880
        ............ +Annis Barnhill 1812 -

        One fact leads to another, but I can't pinpoint anything to say who is who,
        or if it is the same person, or if it is the wrong person entirely.

        Faye Hays