OWENS, Dempsey

  • Vickie L. Norris
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
      Hi members:

      Does anyone know if Mille was Dempsey's wife? Looking at the age of
      Abigail... not sure if she's a daughter or granddaughter. Also,
      unsure of the relationship of
      John & William. I will appreciate any help. Thanks!

      1850 Greene County, NC, Enum. 30th day August 1850:
      HH 332/332
      Dempsey Owen age 80, Laborer
      Mille " age 75
      Abigail " age 25
      John " age 10
      William " age 7
    • eahsr16@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
        In a message dated 10/4/2005 6:17:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        norrisv@... writes:
        Does anyone know if Mille was Dempsey's wife? Looking at the age of
        Abigail... not sure if she's a daughter or granddaughter. Also,
        unsure of the relationship of
        John & William. I will appreciate any help. Thanks!

        1850 Greene County, NC, Enum. 30th day August 1850:
        HH 332/332
        Dempsey Owen age 80, Laborer
        Mille " age 75
        Abigail " age 25
        John " age 10
        William " age 7
        ________________

        Descendants of Dempsey Owens

        1 Dempsey Owens 1775 -
        . +Nancy Lester - 1820
        ........ 2 Cealy Owens
        ............ +Hezekial Langley
        ........ *2nd Husband of Cealy Owens:
        ............ +Frederick Cobb
        ........ 2 Frances Owens
        *2nd Wife of Dempsey Owens:
        . +Martha (Millie) Patsy Ann Joyner
        ........ 2 Abigail Owens

        1850 Federal Census Green County, NC, Enum. 30th day August 1850:

        Dempsey Owen age 80 Laborer

        Mille " age 75 Wife

        Abigail age 25
        Daughter

        John " age 10
        Grandson

        William " age 7 Grandson

        Dempsey Owens age 85, Male, widow, born Virginia, died January 1860
        occupation Cooper, cause of death old age, duration 5 years.

        Lived in Green Co., N.C. by 1850

        Page 36 - Deed Book 9
        DB 9-241: DEMPSEY OWENS was son of JOHN OWENS, the Elder, Aug. 26, 1799.

      • Vickie L. Norris
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
          Faye,

          Thanks for the additional information.

          You wrote:
          *2nd Wife of Dempsey Owens:
          . +Martha (Millie) Patsy Ann Joyner
          ........ 2 Abigail Owens

          I have:
          Jesse Owen married Patsey Joyner Sept. 10, 1811 in Edgecombe bonded
          by Benjamin Gay witnessed by M. Hearn.
          1850: Speight Twp. Greene County Fed. Cen., Enum. 6th day of Sept.
          1850: HH 402/402 Jesse Owen, age 65, Laborer, Martha Owen, age 60.

          Is this a different Martha Patsy Ann Joyner?
        • eahsr16@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
            In a message dated 10/5/2005 3:57:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            norrisv@... writes:
            I have:
            Jesse Owen married Patsey Joyner Sept. 10, 1811 in Edgecombe bonded
            by Benjamin Gay witnessed by M. Hearn.
            1850: Speight Twp. Greene County Fed. Cen., Enum. 6th day of Sept.
            1850: HH 402/402 Jesse Owen, age 65, Laborer, Martha Owen, age 60.

            Is this a different Martha Patsy Ann Joyner?

            _____________

            I don't know, the two are about 10 years apart in ages according to the
            census.

            One of the Martha Ann Joyners was the daughter (maybe they are the same
            person?) was the daughter of Drewry Joyner who died in 1821 and shows the Martha
            Patsy Owens married at that time to an Owens. Dempsey Owens first wife died by
            1820.

            Source Edgecombe Co. NC Will Abstracts 1793-1823 by David Gammon:

            234 Drewry (x) Joiner (Joyner) 3 June 1820 August court 1821 O E/274.
            Daughter Elizabeth Joiner bed, cow calf, stock of bees. Daughters Susannah Howard
            and Martha (Patsey) Owens seven shillings each. Wife Cealy remaining estate
            during her single life or widowhood and at her death or marriage it shall be
            divided between my son Elverson Joiner and my daughter Elizabeth Joiner

            I also have a Susannah "Howard" above, Susannah Joyner married to a Jordan
            Bruce with a daughter named Martha Patsy Bruce. Don't know any more, if she
            married to Jordan Bruce later or if it is the same Susannah Howard.

            Descendants of Susannah Joyner

            1 Susannah Joyner 1783 - 1839
            . +Jordan Bruce
            ........ 2 Spencer Jackson Bruce
            ........ 2 Willis Bruce
            ........ 2 Martha Patsy Bruce
            ........ 2 James Bruce 1808 - 1880
            ............ +Annis Barnhill 1812 -

            One fact leads to another, but I can't pinpoint anything to say who is who,
            or if it is the same person, or if it is the wrong person entirely.

            Faye Hays