Re: [genpcncfir] Camp Lejeune, Hadnot Point, and Hurricanes

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2005
      In a message dated 9/5/2005 11:15:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      bforbes@... writes:
      Faye - I did a little research based on your comments below, and found it
      was actually the summer of 1816 when the weather was strangely cold in the
      eastern US and most of the northern hemisphere for that matter, due to a
      massive volcano called Tamboro having erupted in 1815. Thought to be one of
      the worst volcanic eruptions in 10,000 years, it emitted an estimated 150
      million tons of volcanic dust into the atmosphere to be carried around the
      globe by jet streams, as you mentioned. This is what I meant by how human
      activities pale in comparison to what Mother Nature throws at us. All that
      dust blocking the sun wreaked havoc on weather patterns a year later,
      creating big snowstorms in June that destroyed crops up and down the eastern
      seaboard. And as you said, the result was that many people just up and
      headed west. Whether that moved improved their plight is hard to say, for
      the midwest US is home to some of the most severe weather on the planet!
      ____________

      Thanks for the year, I was reciting from memory, and that's not always the
      best. I lived in the midwest for a while, Kansas, and that piece of information
      came for a Kansas historical society newsletter.

      It has always stuck in my mind because people talk about the strange weather
      we are having, but I believe the weather has always had cycles of change, not
      only just now.

      I know some of the biggest snowstorms in my memory were in April, can't
      remember one in May although there could have been one; but I know I do not recall
      a June snowstorm ever!

      Faye