Camp Lejeune

  • Julian Byrd
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2005
      Thought you all might be interested in the history of Camp Lejeune.On May 1, 1941, Lt. Col. William P.T. Hill was ordered by the 17th Commandant Lt. Gen. (then Maj. Gen.) Thomas Holcomb to establish and assume command of the base, then known as Marine Barracks New River, N.C. His original headquarters was located at Montford Point, and in August 1942, it was moved to Building #1 at Hadnot Point, where it remains today.

      Near the end of 1942, the base took the name Camp Lejeune in honor of the 13th commandant and commanding general of the 2nd Army Division in World War I, Maj. Gen. John A. Lejeune.

      Julian Byrd

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
        Dear Julian,
        Thank you so much for sharing your information.
        As a member of this Group, I have read your e-mails
        many times, and I always come away the richer for it.
        Later, Carol