Re: [genpcncfir] Touching Base

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 30, 2005
      Dear Rhet,
      I wasn't even born when the war began. However, I
      remember the black outs as they were called around
      Greenville. With those nearly 6-feet tall windows,
      blacking out was no picnic. Mama and Uncle Mark
      purchased full length window shades, which they
      painted black on the outside. These they placed in
      every window--12 of them. Mama was very strict about
      when we had to be inside--by twilight--and about
      lighting. We used only an oil lamp in the kitchen and
      candles in each bedroom. To go from the house--the
      bedroom and living room area--to the kitchen and
      dining room portion of the house, we had to cross
      about 14ft of open porch. We crossed in darkness--one
      trip for us children. Once we left the kitchen for the
      "house," we did not travel back again that night.
      So we gathered in the kitchen and diningroom. We ate
      and drank lots of coffee in the kitchen, and we sat
      around the big, formal table in the diningroom
      listening to the radio and drinking more coffee after
      supper.
      Since we were little, if we got sleepy, Mama
      would "cart us off to be" as she put it. She was never
      too busy or too tired to have individual prayers with
      us at bedtime and to ask God to bless us. We grew up
      with the assurance that no matter what happened in
      this life, we were loved. It never crossed my mind
      that everybody did not grow up in a home like mine.
      That says a great deal about just how lucky I was.
      Later, Carol

      === message truncated ===

    • Evelyn Hendricks
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 30, 2005
        Camp Lejuene received its name from a French general, I believe. I was only
        twelve at the time, but it seems I remember something about it. Some people
        thought some others should have received the honor.
        I think I will start writing down some of these things. So far as I know my
        children are not interested, although I see a few signs of interest in the
        oldest one. He is my step-son and he is fifty eight now. Of my other two,
        one is fifty and the other is forty-nine. The step-son is the only married
        one and his wife is slightly interested. Maybe if I wrote down some things
        it would spur her on.
        I enjoy sharing all the memories you write about.
        Evelyn
> [...]
          > > periodatically throughout the day. The building had
          > > just the outer layer of
          > > exterior wood and the studs. There were no interior
          > > walls over the
          > > studs.Buildings like this housed grades four and
          > > five in one building and
          > > grades six and seven in another. The first three
          > > grades were on the lower
          > > floor of the one school building. The high school
          > > was on the upper floor of
          > > that building.
          > > The base construction soon reached a state where
          > > they could turn to building
          > > schools, and that helped the strain a bit. Then they
          > > built some houses,
          > > especially for the officers. That helped the housing
          > > situation some what.
          > > Housing however remained a problem until the end of
          > > the war.
          > > I could go on and on but you will tire of reading

        • Louise
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 31, 2005
            I am 58 and missed the war by a few years, but I love listening to Old Time Radio which was on the radio during the war. It talks about rationing and Jimmy Dolittle and all the war news. It sure gives me some ice breakers with the aunts and uncles when I go to get their family history.

            My mother-in-law sure does remember Pearl Harbor. There was an announcement on the radio that 50 Japanese planes were headed for San Francisco. That is where she lives. There was a blackout curfew. It was a very scary time, but proved untrue. They may have started out, but was turned back by our fighters.

            The people were behind the war effort in every way possible. They bought war bonds, saved rubber, saved cans of grease from their cooking for medicine, and got down the throat of anybody that didn't. Ofcourse, don't forget the gas ration. That is when American women went to work building planes and etc.

            If you ever get to leason to any of the Old Time Radio stories I know you would love it. I'm hooked.

          • Louise
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 31, 2005
              I don't have a lot of few time at the computer so I printed it all out and am taking it with me to work. Fibber Mcgee and Molly taught me a lot about World War II--as well as Amos and Andy and Lum and Abner. Thank you so much for your memories. Shame on the people today that don't back our war efforts and boys in Iraq. Louise

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                Dear Rhet,
                Your experience is similar to mine only I lost my
                family history instead of my family members'
                experience of the major events in American history
                that shaped their lives. Thanks to computers, it now
                takes little time and effort to preserve our histories
                and our experiences.
                You are also right about people whose lives are
                so busy that they have no interest now. Once they
                complete their education and training for their
                careers and/or get their children off to school, they
                look around them and start to think. Like you, I spent
                decades in school and took whatever odd jobs came my
                way to keep my financial house in order. I barely had
                time for the living, so obviously I had no energy to
                expend on the dead. Like you, I have regrets. Instead
                of going to McDonald's or out for a couple of hours at
                my favorite Greek restaurant replete with real-live
                Greeks who almost lifted their American guests from
                their chairs to teach them their dances, I could have
                set aside an hour a week to enrich my life in through
                listening to family and asking questions. I simply
                figured that there were always birth, census, and
                death records, wills, marriages, divorces, and deeds.
                I could get all I needed from these. Of course, I had
                totally factored out of the equation the courthouse
                fires that had destroyed decades of records. What a
                naive little fool I was! Later, Carol

                === message truncated ===

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Dear Evelyn,
                  I doubt I showed any signs of interest either
                  prior to reaching 60. Forgive me, I am of course only
                  60+ 1 day old now! Still, I was tremendously
                  interested. My life was just too hectic between
                  children and school and work and sleep for me to crowd
                  in anything else. Additionally, we were without the
                  computers that have changed record sharing and file
                  maintenance. These really sparked my interest--these
                  and the accessibility here at J. Sargeant Reynolds to
                  the World Wide Web a few years back when our college
                  opted to go for it. It changed my life. It gave me
                  back my family. Later, Carol

                  === message truncated ===