Re: [genpcncfir] Touching Base

  • Rhet Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 29, 2005
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Rhet
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 29, 2005
        I don't remember the beginning of the war, but I remember my uncle (who died in the war) coming home in his uniform before being sent overseas and sitting on the sofa reading a ferrie tale to me from my favorite book. He had only the afternoon before having to go back to base. We lived in Union, SC which is about 30 miles from Spartenburg, where Camp Croft was and on Sundays the soldiers that had leave from there would take a bus to Union, just to see what was happening in the world outside of Spartenburg and to do something different. My grandfather (I lived with my grandparents then) would ride down town after church and pick up any soldiers walking up and down Main Street and bring them home with him for Sunday dinner. After my mother married my step-father who was stationed at Camp Croft we moved into base housing at Camp Croft Court. I do remember the end of the war when everyone was so excited about the news that came over the radio and how sad my mother was over that fact that her brother wouldn't be coming home. I also remember my grandfather being an air raid warden and when they would have a drill (the fire whistle would blow a certain signal) he would go out and walk up and down our street making sure that the dark shades were down in all the houses on our street so that no light showed for any possible enemy planes to have a target on the grown. Rhet
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 30, 2005
          Dear Evelyn,
          I love what you had to say. It conveys perfectly
          how one's actually living through an experience and
          conveying it to others takes those who did not share
          those times and gives them an insider's perspective.
          Instead of being on the outside looking in, they find
          themselves on the inside looking out.
          Not to portray myself as a "senior" citizen or as
          heaven forbid "elderly," I have vivid memories of the
          homefront myself. I grew up on County Home Road. I
          learned to identify fighter planes like a pro because
          they were always flying overhead. Many of my kin were
          stationed at Camp LeJeune before heading overseas. In
          the evenings Mama and Uncle Mark talked in low voices
          about who had just been sent and who was likely to be
          "called up."
          I am so glad you shared the story of Camp
          LeJeune. I had always wanted to know when it came into
          being. I have long been curious about its name, too.
          "Le jeune" in French means "The Young" or as we would
          probably say, "Young People."
          I can imagine that your mother's heart was in her
          throat when your brother was called into service. I
          remember my own brother in Viet Nam. Mama, already ill
          with the effects of treatment for her cancer, really
          did not need the added strain. All her life she had
          kept us safe, yet now she had to let one of us go and
          that without the benefit of her protection and
          counsel.
          As for World War II, I experienced the black
          outs, the rations, the patriotism. The home front was
          merely an extension of the battlefield. There soldiers
          were risking their lives for us. The least we could do
          was to provide well for them, gladly and without
          complaint.
          Perhaps the most interesting thing that happened
          to me was awakening one bright, summer morning in my
          bed with the window open protected only by the screen.
          It was not a modern, cubbyhole of a window, but those
          old-fashioned full-length windows that a grown person
          could easily climb out of. I was idly enjoying the
          clear, blue sky and listening to bird song and bees
          buzzing when suddenly there came the roar of a fighter
          plane.
          A flash of shadow over my screen, and the plane
          zoomed past almost in reach of my hand if there had
          been no screen. My impulse was to scream, but there
          was not time. The next thing I knew I saw the plane
          touch down in the road in front of the house.
          I dressed quickly and ran outside where Mama and
          Uncle Mark and every other grown-up had run to see
          what had happened and to offer assistance.
          Fortunately, the pilot had made a completely safe
          landing, but he could not fly the plane. People parked
          their cars at distances on either side of the plane to
          block traffic until his plane was running again. This
          experience made me feel even closer to the war.
          Afterwards, of course, I never saw a plane flying
          overhead without recalling that morning when a pilot
          came calling.
          The rations had their bright side, too. We were
          no longer able to purchase white cane sugar, so Mama
          bought cake decorating sugar. There was yellow sugar,
          pink sugar, blue sugar, and green sugar. I got to
          choose the color for each meal, and I chose plates and
          napkins to complement the color of the sugar. I
          enjoyed waiting for Mama to come back from grocery
          shopping to see what colors the sugar would be. That
          was the greatest thing about the war. It brought new
          color into my life.
          After the war, meal planning was never the same
          with the return of the white sugar. Fortunately, our
          kin made it home. Several uncles were medics and
          related their experiences. I was all ears and full of
          questions. They answered and explained things to me
          the same as if I were any grown-up friend. As a
          result, I grew up thinking of them as my big brothers
          instead of uncles. Their experiences really brought us
          closer together. Later, Carol

          === message truncated ===

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 30, 2005
            Dear Rhet,
            I wasn't even born when the war began. However, I
            remember the black outs as they were called around
            Greenville. With those nearly 6-feet tall windows,
            blacking out was no picnic. Mama and Uncle Mark
            purchased full length window shades, which they
            painted black on the outside. These they placed in
            every window--12 of them. Mama was very strict about
            when we had to be inside--by twilight--and about
            lighting. We used only an oil lamp in the kitchen and
            candles in each bedroom. To go from the house--the
            bedroom and living room area--to the kitchen and
            dining room portion of the house, we had to cross
            about 14ft of open porch. We crossed in darkness--one
            trip for us children. Once we left the kitchen for the
            "house," we did not travel back again that night.
            So we gathered in the kitchen and diningroom. We ate
            and drank lots of coffee in the kitchen, and we sat
            around the big, formal table in the diningroom
            listening to the radio and drinking more coffee after
            supper.
            Since we were little, if we got sleepy, Mama
            would "cart us off to be" as she put it. She was never
            too busy or too tired to have individual prayers with
            us at bedtime and to ask God to bless us. We grew up
            with the assurance that no matter what happened in
            this life, we were loved. It never crossed my mind
            that everybody did not grow up in a home like mine.
            That says a great deal about just how lucky I was.
            Later, Carol

            === message truncated ===

          • Evelyn Hendricks
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 30, 2005
              Camp Lejuene received its name from a French general, I believe. I was only
              twelve at the time, but it seems I remember something about it. Some people
              thought some others should have received the honor.
              I think I will start writing down some of these things. So far as I know my
              children are not interested, although I see a few signs of interest in the
              oldest one. He is my step-son and he is fifty eight now. Of my other two,
              one is fifty and the other is forty-nine. The step-son is the only married
              one and his wife is slightly interested. Maybe if I wrote down some things
              it would spur her on.
              I enjoy sharing all the memories you write about.
> [...]
              > > periodatically throughout the day. The building had
              > > just the outer layer of
              > > exterior wood and the studs. There were no interior
              > > walls over the
              > > studs.Buildings like this housed grades four and
              > > five in one building and
              > > grades six and seven in another. The first three
              > > grades were on the lower
              > > floor of the one school building. The high school
              > > was on the upper floor of
              > > that building.
              > > The base construction soon reached a state where
              > > they could turn to building
              > > schools, and that helped the strain a bit. Then they
              > > built some houses,
              > > especially for the officers. That helped the housing
              > > situation some what.
              > > Housing however remained a problem until the end of
              > > the war.
              > > I could go on and on but you will tire of reading

            • Rhet Wilkinson
> [...]
                > > periodatically throughout the day. The building had
                > > just the outer layer of
                > > exterior wood and the studs. There were no interior
                > > walls over the
                > > studs.Buildings like this housed grades four and
                > > five in one building and
                > > grades six and seven in another. The first three
                > > grades were on the lower
                > > floor of the one school building. The high school
                > > was on the upper floor of
                > > that building.
                > > The base construction soon reached a state where
                > > they could turn to building
                > > schools, and that helped the strain a bit. Then they
                > > built some houses,
                > > especially for the officers. That helped the housing
                > > situation some what.
                > > Housing however remained a problem until the end of
                > > the war.
                > > I could go on and on but you will tire of reading

              • Louise
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 31, 2005
                  I am 58 and missed the war by a few years, but I love listening to Old Time Radio which was on the radio during the war. It talks about rationing and Jimmy Dolittle and all the war news. It sure gives me some ice breakers with the aunts and uncles when I go to get their family history.

                  My mother-in-law sure does remember Pearl Harbor. There was an announcement on the radio that 50 Japanese planes were headed for San Francisco. That is where she lives. There was a blackout curfew. It was a very scary time, but proved untrue. They may have started out, but was turned back by our fighters.

                  The people were behind the war effort in every way possible. They bought war bonds, saved rubber, saved cans of grease from their cooking for medicine, and got down the throat of anybody that didn't. Ofcourse, don't forget the gas ration. That is when American women went to work building planes and etc.

                  If you ever get to leason to any of the Old Time Radio stories I know you would love it. I'm hooked.

                • Louise
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 31, 2005
                    I don't have a lot of few time at the computer so I printed it all out and am taking it with me to work. Fibber Mcgee and Molly taught me a lot about World War II--as well as Amos and Andy and Lum and Abner. Thank you so much for your memories. Shame on the people today that don't back our war efforts and boys in Iraq. Louise

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                      Dear Rhet,
                      Your experience is similar to mine only I lost my
                      family history instead of my family members'
                      experience of the major events in American history
                      that shaped their lives. Thanks to computers, it now
                      takes little time and effort to preserve our histories
                      and our experiences.
                      You are also right about people whose lives are
                      so busy that they have no interest now. Once they
                      complete their education and training for their
                      careers and/or get their children off to school, they
                      look around them and start to think. Like you, I spent
                      decades in school and took whatever odd jobs came my
                      way to keep my financial house in order. I barely had
                      time for the living, so obviously I had no energy to
                      expend on the dead. Like you, I have regrets. Instead
                      of going to McDonald's or out for a couple of hours at
                      my favorite Greek restaurant replete with real-live
                      Greeks who almost lifted their American guests from
                      their chairs to teach them their dances, I could have
                      set aside an hour a week to enrich my life in through
                      listening to family and asking questions. I simply
                      figured that there were always birth, census, and
                      death records, wills, marriages, divorces, and deeds.
                      I could get all I needed from these. Of course, I had
                      totally factored out of the equation the courthouse
                      fires that had destroyed decades of records. What a
                      naive little fool I was! Later, Carol

                      === message truncated ===

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                        Dear Evelyn,
                        I doubt I showed any signs of interest either
                        prior to reaching 60. Forgive me, I am of course only
                        60+ 1 day old now! Still, I was tremendously
                        interested. My life was just too hectic between
                        children and school and work and sleep for me to crowd
                        in anything else. Additionally, we were without the
                        computers that have changed record sharing and file
                        maintenance. These really sparked my interest--these
                        and the accessibility here at J. Sargeant Reynolds to
                        the World Wide Web a few years back when our college
                        opted to go for it. It changed my life. It gave me
                        back my family. Later, Carol

                        === message truncated ===