Touching Base

  • jewellebaker@cox.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 24, 2005
      Hello Group.....
      Summertime and everyone is VERY quiet!! I hope all of you are having a wonderful, healthy, productive summer! My computer has been acting up since my Texas GrandSon 'played with it' so I'm having to receive and send eMail via Web.
      Please bear with me.... also..... good news, my GrandSon Raymond is out of the hospital and family here with me. and......... I leave tomorrow for Honolulu to observe the reinactment of the signing of WWII Peace Treaty by Japan and the United States on the MISSOURI....... "Ten Can Sailors" It will be 'heart-wrenching' .... so many memories. I will be keeping in touch with our dynamic wonderful Group by Hotel Computer. Keep on posting your queries and responses...... you are ALL so generous in sharing...... and there are many of our Group that just 'lurks-in-background' that look forward to your posts with eager anticipation.
      Jewelle
    • Rhet Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 25, 2005
        Maybe I have missed a pst post as to why the reinactment is important to you, but I would really like to know. I lost an uncle (my mother's brother) in Italy during WWII so I know that those things can be very important to us. How about sharing why, if you don't mind. If you want to keep it private, however I am sure we will all understand and just be happy for you that you can be a part of something special to you. Rhet
        Summertime and everyone is VERY quiet!! I hope all of you are having a wonderful, healthy, productive summer! My computer has been acting up since my Texas GrandSon 'played with it' so I'm having to receive and send eMail via Web.
        Please bear with me.... also..... good news, my GrandSon Raymond is out of the hospital and family here with me. and......... I leave tomorrow for Honolulu to observe the reinactment of the signing of WWII Peace Treaty by Japan and the United States on the MISSOURI....... "Ten Can Sailors" It will be 'heart-wrenching' .... so many memories. I will be keeping in touch with our dynamic wonderful Group by Hotel Computer. Keep on posting your queries and responses...... you are ALL so generous in sharing...... and there are many of our Group that just 'lurks-in-background' that look forward to your posts with eager anticipation.

        State tax p; t state university United states

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 29, 2005
          Dear Rhet,
          Even though, like many of you, I have few
          memories of World War II, here is my scoop on
          re-enactments.
          For those who lived the experience, it must be
          like going home--in a sense like a family reunion.
          People living through a tragic event form a special
          bond that others do not share. It links them for life.
          I imagine that having lived through an event like
          Pearl Harbor and having seen friends I knew like
          brothers blown to bits would have scarred me for life.
          I have only seen the re-enactment myself through
          documentaries like those by Ken Burns, and they hit me
          hard. Imagine the impact if I had actually been there.
          Another aspect of the experience is that I am
          sure that even today even to witnesses it must have
          some element of the surreal. The event happened in
          another time, in another place. It was worlds away
          from our America of today--our disintegrating
          families, schools, values. In addition, there is the
          shock of having survived something like that. It's
          like a pinching of oneself to reassure oneself that he
          is still here, alive and intact. It is also a
          re-connecting with those who are no longer here and an
          honoring of those bonds, memories, and sacrifices.
          Except in the memories of those who were there, many
          of those men are forgotten. We have no World War II
          wall in our nation's capital for everyone to see as we
          do for Viet Nam. There one can see those names, every
          one, even if he can't put a face with those names.
          I think people want to be remembered. Once we are
          gone, it's all the life we have left. It's like
          genealogy, like what we are ourselves doing.
          In addition, for those who were not there,
          re-enactments let them experience a significant event
          in our history. I remember those documentaries on t.v.
          when I was growing up. These were preceded by the
          announcement: "Everything is as it was then, except
          YOU WERE THERE!" It allows us, both those who survived
          it and those who read about it in history books, to
          break the time barrier and to walk where they walked.
          It becomes living history, up close and personal, and
          not just black lines crawling across the pages of a
          musty book on a dark library shelf.
          Later, Carol

        • Evelyn Hendricks
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 29, 2005
            I very well remember World War II and the day Pearl Harbor was bombed. My
            family had moved to Jacksonville, NC just a couple of months before. The
            government was hastily building the Army Base at Holly Ridge, just a few
            miles away, and Camp Lejuene which surrounded the town of Jacksonville. Camp
            Lejuene had not even been named at the time. That came a few months later.
            We were standing in line waiting for our turn to buy a ticket to the only
            movie theatre in the county. The Marines were the majority of people in the
            line. They were seeking a little entertainment in the little village which
            had little to offer at that time. A marine in front of me was smoking. When
            he put down his arm the hand holding the cigarette got a little to close to
            me and the cigarette burned my hand. Just briefly. Before the movie was over
            the military police was in the theatre gathering up the Marines and sending
            them back to the base. They emptied the restaurants and every other place
            they could find them. When we left the theatre the news was all over the
            streets. There was no radio reception in the town then, so we had to depend
            on word of mouth.
            Our house was near the railroad and I remember watching the trains leaving
            day after day with the "boys" headed for the front. Since I was only twelve
            at the time it did not affect me, but my mother was really upset about it.
            "Just children" I remember her saying. I know that in the back of her mind
            she was thinking of my older brother, who did get old enough to serve before
            the war was over.
            I feel that I lack the words to describe what it was actually like, but it
            is something I will never forget. Everyone pulled together to help the
            military. Housing was a major problem for those who brought their families.
            The schools were overwhelmed with the additional students. Temporary wooded
            buildings were built, which the State today would not allow to be used.
            Cracks were in the floor wide enough that we could drop a pencil through
            them--and often did on purpose. The coal burning heaters had to be stoked
            periodatically throughout the day. The building had just the outer layer of
            exterior wood and the studs. There were no interior walls over the
            studs.Buildings like this housed grades four and five in one building and
            grades six and seven in another. The first three grades were on the lower
            floor of the one school building. The high school was on the upper floor of
            that building.
            The base construction soon reached a state where they could turn to building
            schools, and that helped the strain a bit. Then they built some houses,
            especially for the officers. That helped the housing situation some what.
            Housing however remained a problem until the end of the war.
            I could go on and on but you will tire of reading it.
            Evelyn
            > Even though, like many of you, I have few
            > memories of World War II, here is my scoop on
            > re-enactments.
            > For those who lived the experience, it must be
            > like going home--in a sense like a family reunion.
            > People living through a tragic event form a special
            > bond that others do not share. It links them for life.
            > I imagine that having lived through an event like
            > Pearl Harbor and having seen friends I knew like
            > brothers blown to bits would have scarred me for life.
            > I have only seen the re-enactment myself through
            > documentaries like those by Ken Burns, and they hit me
            > hard. Imagine the impact if I had actually been there.
            > Another aspect of the experience is that I am
            > sure that even today even to witnesses it must have
            > some element of the surreal. The event happened in
            > another time, in another place. It was worlds away
            > from our America of today--our disintegrating
            > families, schools, values. In addition, there is the
            > shock of having survived something like that. It's
            > like a pinching of oneself to reassure oneself that he
            > is still here, alive and intact. It is also a
            > re-connecting with those who are no longer here and an
            > honoring of those bonds, memories, and sacrifices.
            > Except in the memories of those who were there, many
            > of those men are forgotten. We have no World War II
            > wall in our nation's capital for everyone to see as we
            > do for Viet Nam. There one can see those names, every
            > one, even if he can't put a face with those names.
            > I think people want to be remembered. Once we are
            > gone, it's all the life we have left. It's like
            > genealogy, like what we are ourselves doing.
            > In addition, for those who were not there,
            > re-enactments let them experience a significant event
            > in our history. I remember those documentaries on t.v.
            > when I was growing up. These were preceded by the
            > announcement: "Everything is as it was then, except
            > YOU WERE THERE!" It allows us, both those who survived
            > it and those who read about it in history books, to
            > break the time barrier and to walk where they walked.
            > It becomes living history, up close and personal, and
            > not just black lines crawling across the pages of a
            > musty book on a dark library shelf.
            > Later, Carol
            > --- Rhet Wilkinson <rhet@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Maybe I have missed a pst post as to why the
            > > reinactment is important to you, but I would really
            > > like to know. I lost an uncle (my mother's brother)
            > > in Italy during WWII so I know that those things can
            > > be very important to us. How about sharing why, if
            > > you don't mind. If you want to keep it private,
            > > however I am sure we will all understand and just be
            > > happy for you that you can be a part of something
            > > special to you. Rhet

          • Rhet Wilkinson
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 29, 2005
              Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Rhet
              --- Rhet Wilkinson <rhet@...> wrote:

              > Maybe I have missed a pst post as to why the
              > reinactment is important to you, but I would really
              > like to know. I lost an uncle (my mother's brother)
              > in Italy during WWII so I know that those things can
              > be very important to us. How about sharing why, if
              > you don't mind. If you want to keep it private,
              > however I am sure we will all understand and just be
              > happy for you that you can be a part of something
              > special to you. Rhet

            • Rhet Wilkinson

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 30, 2005
                  Dear Evelyn,
                  I love what you had to say. It conveys perfectly
                  how one's actually living through an experience and
                  conveying it to others takes those who did not share
                  those times and gives them an insider's perspective.
                  Instead of being on the outside looking in, they find
                  themselves on the inside looking out.
                  Not to portray myself as a "senior" citizen or as
                  heaven forbid "elderly," I have vivid memories of the
                  homefront myself. I grew up on County Home Road. I
                  learned to identify fighter planes like a pro because
                  they were always flying overhead. Many of my kin were
                  stationed at Camp LeJeune before heading overseas. In
                  the evenings Mama and Uncle Mark talked in low voices
                  about who had just been sent and who was likely to be
                  "called up."
                  I am so glad you shared the story of Camp
                  LeJeune. I had always wanted to know when it came into
                  being. I have long been curious about its name, too.
                  "Le jeune" in French means "The Young" or as we would
                  probably say, "Young People."
                  I can imagine that your mother's heart was in her
                  throat when your brother was called into service. I
                  remember my own brother in Viet Nam. Mama, already ill
                  with the effects of treatment for her cancer, really
                  did not need the added strain. All her life she had
                  kept us safe, yet now she had to let one of us go and
                  that without the benefit of her protection and
                  counsel.
                  As for World War II, I experienced the black
                  outs, the rations, the patriotism. The home front was
                  merely an extension of the battlefield. There soldiers
                  were risking their lives for us. The least we could do
                  was to provide well for them, gladly and without
                  complaint.
                  Perhaps the most interesting thing that happened
                  to me was awakening one bright, summer morning in my
                  bed with the window open protected only by the screen.
                  It was not a modern, cubbyhole of a window, but those
                  old-fashioned full-length windows that a grown person
                  could easily climb out of. I was idly enjoying the
                  clear, blue sky and listening to bird song and bees
                  buzzing when suddenly there came the roar of a fighter
                  plane.
                  A flash of shadow over my screen, and the plane
                  zoomed past almost in reach of my hand if there had
                  been no screen. My impulse was to scream, but there
                  was not time. The next thing I knew I saw the plane
                  touch down in the road in front of the house.
                  I dressed quickly and ran outside where Mama and
                  Uncle Mark and every other grown-up had run to see
                  what had happened and to offer assistance.
                  Fortunately, the pilot had made a completely safe
                  landing, but he could not fly the plane. People parked
                  their cars at distances on either side of the plane to
                  block traffic until his plane was running again. This
                  experience made me feel even closer to the war.
                  Afterwards, of course, I never saw a plane flying
                  overhead without recalling that morning when a pilot
                  came calling.
                  The rations had their bright side, too. We were
                  no longer able to purchase white cane sugar, so Mama
                  bought cake decorating sugar. There was yellow sugar,
                  pink sugar, blue sugar, and green sugar. I got to
                  choose the color for each meal, and I chose plates and
                  napkins to complement the color of the sugar. I
                  enjoyed waiting for Mama to come back from grocery
                  shopping to see what colors the sugar would be. That
                  was the greatest thing about the war. It brought new
                  color into my life.
                  After the war, meal planning was never the same
                  with the return of the white sugar. Fortunately, our
                  kin made it home. Several uncles were medics and
                  related their experiences. I was all ears and full of
                  questions. They answered and explained things to me
                  the same as if I were any grown-up friend. As a
                  result, I grew up thinking of them as my big brothers
                  instead of uncles. Their experiences really brought us
                  closer together. Later, Carol

                  === message truncated ===

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 30, 2005
                    Dear Rhet,
                    I wasn't even born when the war began. However, I
                    remember the black outs as they were called around
                    Greenville. With those nearly 6-feet tall windows,
                    blacking out was no picnic. Mama and Uncle Mark
                    purchased full length window shades, which they
                    painted black on the outside. These they placed in
                    every window--12 of them. Mama was very strict about
                    when we had to be inside--by twilight--and about
                    lighting. We used only an oil lamp in the kitchen and
                    candles in each bedroom. To go from the house--the
                    bedroom and living room area--to the kitchen and
                    dining room portion of the house, we had to cross
                    about 14ft of open porch. We crossed in darkness--one
                    trip for us children. Once we left the kitchen for the
                    "house," we did not travel back again that night.
                    So we gathered in the kitchen and diningroom. We ate
                    and drank lots of coffee in the kitchen, and we sat
                    around the big, formal table in the diningroom
                    listening to the radio and drinking more coffee after
                    supper.
                    Since we were little, if we got sleepy, Mama
                    would "cart us off to be" as she put it. She was never
                    too busy or too tired to have individual prayers with
                    us at bedtime and to ask God to bless us. We grew up
                    with the assurance that no matter what happened in
                    this life, we were loved. It never crossed my mind
                    that everybody did not grow up in a home like mine.
                    That says a great deal about just how lucky I was.
                    Later, Carol

                    === message truncated ===

                  • Evelyn Hendricks
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 30, 2005
                      Camp Lejuene received its name from a French general, I believe. I was only
                      twelve at the time, but it seems I remember something about it. Some people
                      thought some others should have received the honor.
                      I think I will start writing down some of these things. So far as I know my
                      children are not interested, although I see a few signs of interest in the
                      oldest one. He is my step-son and he is fifty eight now. Of my other two,
                      one is fifty and the other is forty-nine. The step-son is the only married
                      one and his wife is slightly interested. Maybe if I wrote down some things
                      it would spur her on.
                      I enjoy sharing all the memories you write about.
> [...]
                      > > periodatically throughout the day. The building had
                      > > just the outer layer of
                      > > exterior wood and the studs. There were no interior
                      > > walls over the
                      > > studs.Buildings like this housed grades four and
                      > > five in one building and
                      > > grades six and seven in another. The first three
                      > > grades were on the lower
                      > > floor of the one school building. The high school
                      > > was on the upper floor of
                      > > that building.
                      > > The base construction soon reached a state where
                      > > they could turn to building
                      > > schools, and that helped the strain a bit. Then they
                      > > built some houses,
                      > > especially for the officers. That helped the housing
                      > > situation some what.
                      > > Housing however remained a problem until the end of
                      > > the war.
                      > > I could go on and on but you will tire of reading

                    • Rhet Wilkinson
> [...]
                        > > periodatically throughout the day. The building had
                        > > just the outer layer of
                        > > exterior wood and the studs. There were no interior
                        > > walls over the
                        > > studs.Buildings like this housed grades four and
                        > > five in one building and
                        > > grades six and seven in another. The first three
                        > > grades were on the lower
                        > > floor of the one school building. The high school
                        > > was on the upper floor of
                        > > that building.
                        > > The base construction soon reached a state where
                        > > they could turn to building
                        > > schools, and that helped the strain a bit. Then they
                        > > built some houses,
                        > > especially for the officers. That helped the housing
                        > > situation some what.
                        > > Housing however remained a problem until the end of
                        > > the war.
                        > > I could go on and on but you will tire of reading

                      • Louise
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 31, 2005
                          I am 58 and missed the war by a few years, but I love listening to Old Time Radio which was on the radio during the war. It talks about rationing and Jimmy Dolittle and all the war news. It sure gives me some ice breakers with the aunts and uncles when I go to get their family history.

                          My mother-in-law sure does remember Pearl Harbor. There was an announcement on the radio that 50 Japanese planes were headed for San Francisco. That is where she lives. There was a blackout curfew. It was a very scary time, but proved untrue. They may have started out, but was turned back by our fighters.

                          The people were behind the war effort in every way possible. They bought war bonds, saved rubber, saved cans of grease from their cooking for medicine, and got down the throat of anybody that didn't. Ofcourse, don't forget the gas ration. That is when American women went to work building planes and etc.

                          If you ever get to leason to any of the Old Time Radio stories I know you would love it. I'm hooked.

                        • Louise
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 31, 2005
                            I don't have a lot of few time at the computer so I printed it all out and am taking it with me to work. Fibber Mcgee and Molly taught me a lot about World War II--as well as Amos and Andy and Lum and Abner. Thank you so much for your memories. Shame on the people today that don't back our war efforts and boys in Iraq. Louise

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                              Dear Rhet,
                              Your experience is similar to mine only I lost my
                              family history instead of my family members'
                              experience of the major events in American history
                              that shaped their lives. Thanks to computers, it now
                              takes little time and effort to preserve our histories
                              and our experiences.
                              You are also right about people whose lives are
                              so busy that they have no interest now. Once they
                              complete their education and training for their
                              careers and/or get their children off to school, they
                              look around them and start to think. Like you, I spent
                              decades in school and took whatever odd jobs came my
                              way to keep my financial house in order. I barely had
                              time for the living, so obviously I had no energy to
                              expend on the dead. Like you, I have regrets. Instead
                              of going to McDonald's or out for a couple of hours at
                              my favorite Greek restaurant replete with real-live
                              Greeks who almost lifted their American guests from
                              their chairs to teach them their dances, I could have
                              set aside an hour a week to enrich my life in through
                              listening to family and asking questions. I simply
                              figured that there were always birth, census, and
                              death records, wills, marriages, divorces, and deeds.
                              I could get all I needed from these. Of course, I had
                              totally factored out of the equation the courthouse
                              fires that had destroyed decades of records. What a
                              naive little fool I was! Later, Carol

                              === message truncated ===

                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                                Dear Evelyn,
                                I doubt I showed any signs of interest either
                                prior to reaching 60. Forgive me, I am of course only
                                60+ 1 day old now! Still, I was tremendously
                                interested. My life was just too hectic between
                                children and school and work and sleep for me to crowd
                                in anything else. Additionally, we were without the
                                computers that have changed record sharing and file
                                maintenance. These really sparked my interest--these
                                and the accessibility here at J. Sargeant Reynolds to
                                the World Wide Web a few years back when our college
                                opted to go for it. It changed my life. It gave me
                                back my family. Later, Carol

                                === message truncated ===