Re: [genpcncfir] eBay Hoax

  • jowgen
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      This is another site:

      http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/

      Jean
      jowgen@...

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Rhet Wilkinson" <rhet@...>
      To: <genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 7:02 PM
      Subject: Re: [genpcncfir] eBay Hoax

      > Thanks. I knew there was one out there but did not know where it was.
      > Rhet

    • Rhet Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        Thanks Rhet
        > Thanks. I knew there was one out there but did not know where it was.
        > Rhet

        State tax p; t state university United states

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          Dear Jean,
          During the past month, my e-mail has been flooded
          with appeals from Nigerian and other nationals from
          various corners of the earth begging me to let them
          deposit millions of dollars into my account. In
          exchange I will be paid half of the money deposited in
          the hands of said nationals to compensate me for my
          trouble. Not long ago "60 Minutes" [Channel 6,
          Richmond, Virginia)covered this type of scam. The
          reporters were finally able to lure some of these
          nationals to meet with them. Of course, the only money
          to change hands was money from the hands of the
          reporters into the hands of the nationals. As you may
          also have noted, all the messages are urgent, pleading
          with the recipient to reply without delay as whatever
          government will claim the deceased person's money if
          it cannot be transferred to a legitimate claimant who
          is next of kin to the deceased. Naturally nobody has
          ever heard of these wealthy dead people because they
          do not exist any more than their wealth exists. The
          only wealth to be had is that which falls into the
          hands of these schemers when gullible Americans fall
          into their trap and start sending them money.
          As most of us know, anyone who really wants to
          make us wealth has only to send us a cashier's check.
          Any bank will be glad to deposit the check into our
          account.
          If I continue to receive mail from these con
          artists, I plan to send copies to the office of the
          Attorney General of Virginia. This kind of mail
          eventually finds itself in the hands of a gullible
          reader who could face financial ruin buying into the
          scam. For this reason, I think it important to try to
          put a stop to these deceptive practices.
          In addition to the e-mails, I have also received
          a couple of letters at home from African solicitors. I
          have no idea how these people obtained my name and
          address, but it is disturbing to think about.
          Later, Carol

          === message truncated ===

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Edith Cox
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            That is what the delete button is for.
            Edith Cox
          • Rhet Wilkinson
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
              That's what I did. I was just warning anyone that might not realize it was a hoax. Rhet
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                Dear Rhet,
                Yes, I did too. Just as you said, though, people do
                fall for scams when they do not recognize them for
                what they are. Young people and the elderly are
                particularly vulnerable. Later, Carol

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs