Re: [genpcncfir] eBay Hoax

  • Rhet Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      Thanks. I knew there was one out there but did not know where it was. Rhet
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        This is another site:

        http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/

        Jean
        jowgen@...

        > Thanks. I knew there was one out there but did not know where it was.
        > Rhet

      • Rhet Wilkinson
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          Thanks Rhet
          > Thanks. I knew there was one out there but did not know where it was.
          > Rhet

          State tax p; t state university United states

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            Dear Jean,
            During the past month, my e-mail has been flooded
            with appeals from Nigerian and other nationals from
            various corners of the earth begging me to let them
            deposit millions of dollars into my account. In
            exchange I will be paid half of the money deposited in
            the hands of said nationals to compensate me for my
            trouble. Not long ago "60 Minutes" [Channel 6,
            Richmond, Virginia)covered this type of scam. The
            reporters were finally able to lure some of these
            nationals to meet with them. Of course, the only money
            to change hands was money from the hands of the
            reporters into the hands of the nationals. As you may
            also have noted, all the messages are urgent, pleading
            with the recipient to reply without delay as whatever
            government will claim the deceased person's money if
            it cannot be transferred to a legitimate claimant who
            is next of kin to the deceased. Naturally nobody has
            ever heard of these wealthy dead people because they
            do not exist any more than their wealth exists. The
            only wealth to be had is that which falls into the
            hands of these schemers when gullible Americans fall
            into their trap and start sending them money.
            As most of us know, anyone who really wants to
            make us wealth has only to send us a cashier's check.
            Any bank will be glad to deposit the check into our
            account.
            If I continue to receive mail from these con
            artists, I plan to send copies to the office of the
            Attorney General of Virginia. This kind of mail
            eventually finds itself in the hands of a gullible
            reader who could face financial ruin buying into the
            scam. For this reason, I think it important to try to
            put a stop to these deceptive practices.
            In addition to the e-mails, I have also received
            a couple of letters at home from African solicitors. I
            have no idea how these people obtained my name and
            address, but it is disturbing to think about.
            Later, Carol

            === message truncated ===

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Edith Cox
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              That is what the delete button is for.
              Edith Cox
            • Rhet Wilkinson
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                That's what I did. I was just warning anyone that might not realize it was a hoax. Rhet
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Dear Rhet,
                  Yes, I did too. Just as you said, though, people do
                  fall for scams when they do not recognize them for
                  what they are. Young people and the elderly are
                  particularly vulnerable. Later, Carol

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs