Re: [genpcncfir] eBay Hoax

  • Alex Wessendorf
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      My husband found this site and he said that it will tell you everything about spam and hoaxes and said if you have a question look it up on this site.

      http://www.snopes.com/snopes.asp

      Hope this will help everyone.

      Sincerely
      Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf

      JGrimes227@... wrote:
      This is a very common hoax , ebay, paypal, yahoo, aol, etc. The screens are
      copies of those used by these ligitimate web sites, they have some come along
      (like someone has been hacking or trying to make false purchases and may have
      corrupted your information on their web site) and now it is necessary to
      verify your account information which often includes your SSN and your bank account
      number. It is all a scam to get the information and then have their way with
      you. BE VERY CAUTIOUS -

      Also, NEVER respond to the those Nigerian scams. If you get an email telling
      how you are so trustworthy that the esteemed barrister in Taiwan, or Nigeria
      is going to trust you with millions of dollars and wants your account number
      to wire the money.

      John B. Grimes

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf

      Searching: Wainwrights, Lewis', Dixon, Cooper's, Blockers, Alvarez', Reddish's, Register's, Andrews, Ritch's, Walker's, Wise's, Oliver's, Hinson's, Wessendorf's, Sorensen's, McDonald's, Kile's, Cates
    • Rhet Wilkinson

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          This is another site:

          http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/

          Jean
          jowgen@...

          > Thanks. I knew there was one out there but did not know where it was.
          > Rhet

        • Rhet Wilkinson
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            Thanks Rhet
            > Thanks. I knew there was one out there but did not know where it was.
            > Rhet

            State tax p; t state university United states

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              Dear Jean,
              During the past month, my e-mail has been flooded
              with appeals from Nigerian and other nationals from
              various corners of the earth begging me to let them
              deposit millions of dollars into my account. In
              exchange I will be paid half of the money deposited in
              the hands of said nationals to compensate me for my
              trouble. Not long ago "60 Minutes" [Channel 6,
              Richmond, Virginia)covered this type of scam. The
              reporters were finally able to lure some of these
              nationals to meet with them. Of course, the only money
              to change hands was money from the hands of the
              reporters into the hands of the nationals. As you may
              also have noted, all the messages are urgent, pleading
              with the recipient to reply without delay as whatever
              government will claim the deceased person's money if
              it cannot be transferred to a legitimate claimant who
              is next of kin to the deceased. Naturally nobody has
              ever heard of these wealthy dead people because they
              do not exist any more than their wealth exists. The
              only wealth to be had is that which falls into the
              hands of these schemers when gullible Americans fall
              into their trap and start sending them money.
              As most of us know, anyone who really wants to
              make us wealth has only to send us a cashier's check.
              Any bank will be glad to deposit the check into our
              account.
              If I continue to receive mail from these con
              artists, I plan to send copies to the office of the
              Attorney General of Virginia. This kind of mail
              eventually finds itself in the hands of a gullible
              reader who could face financial ruin buying into the
              scam. For this reason, I think it important to try to
              put a stop to these deceptive practices.
              In addition to the e-mails, I have also received
              a couple of letters at home from African solicitors. I
              have no idea how these people obtained my name and
              address, but it is disturbing to think about.
              Later, Carol

              === message truncated ===

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Edith Cox
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                That is what the delete button is for.
                Edith Cox
              • Rhet Wilkinson
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                  That's what I did. I was just warning anyone that might not realize it was a hoax. Rhet
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Dear Rhet,
                    Yes, I did too. Just as you said, though, people do
                    fall for scams when they do not recognize them for
                    what they are. Young people and the elderly are
                    particularly vulnerable. Later, Carol

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs