Re: [genpcncfir] eBay Hoax

  • JGrimes227@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      This is a very common hoax , ebay, paypal, yahoo, aol, etc. The screens are
      copies of those used by these ligitimate web sites, they have some come along
      (like someone has been hacking or trying to make false purchases and may have
      corrupted your information on their web site) and now it is necessary to
      verify your account information which often includes your SSN and your bank account
      number. It is all a scam to get the information and then have their way with
      you. BE VERY CAUTIOUS -

      Also, NEVER respond to the those Nigerian scams. If you get an email telling
      how you are so trustworthy that the esteemed barrister in Taiwan, or Nigeria
      is going to trust you with millions of dollars and wants your account number
      to wire the money.

      John B. Grimes

    • Alex Wessendorf
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        My husband found this site and he said that it will tell you everything about spam and hoaxes and said if you have a question look it up on this site.

        http://www.snopes.com/snopes.asp

        Hope this will help everyone.

        Sincerely
        Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf

        JGrimes227@... wrote:
        This is a very common hoax , ebay, paypal, yahoo, aol, etc. The screens are
        copies of those used by these ligitimate web sites, they have some come along
        (like someone has been hacking or trying to make false purchases and may have
        corrupted your information on their web site) and now it is necessary to
        verify your account information which often includes your SSN and your bank account
        number. It is all a scam to get the information and then have their way with
        you. BE VERY CAUTIOUS -

        Also, NEVER respond to the those Nigerian scams. If you get an email telling
        how you are so trustworthy that the esteemed barrister in Taiwan, or Nigeria
        is going to trust you with millions of dollars and wants your account number
        to wire the money.

        John B. Grimes

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf

        Searching: Wainwrights, Lewis', Dixon, Cooper's, Blockers, Alvarez', Reddish's, Register's, Andrews, Ritch's, Walker's, Wise's, Oliver's, Hinson's, Wessendorf's, Sorensen's, McDonald's, Kile's, Cates
      • Rhet Wilkinson

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            This is another site:

            http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/

            Jean
            jowgen@...

            > Thanks. I knew there was one out there but did not know where it was.
            > Rhet

          • Rhet Wilkinson
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              Thanks Rhet
              > Thanks. I knew there was one out there but did not know where it was.
              > Rhet

              State tax p; t state university United states

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                Dear Jean,
                During the past month, my e-mail has been flooded
                with appeals from Nigerian and other nationals from
                various corners of the earth begging me to let them
                deposit millions of dollars into my account. In
                exchange I will be paid half of the money deposited in
                the hands of said nationals to compensate me for my
                trouble. Not long ago "60 Minutes" [Channel 6,
                Richmond, Virginia)covered this type of scam. The
                reporters were finally able to lure some of these
                nationals to meet with them. Of course, the only money
                to change hands was money from the hands of the
                reporters into the hands of the nationals. As you may
                also have noted, all the messages are urgent, pleading
                with the recipient to reply without delay as whatever
                government will claim the deceased person's money if
                it cannot be transferred to a legitimate claimant who
                is next of kin to the deceased. Naturally nobody has
                ever heard of these wealthy dead people because they
                do not exist any more than their wealth exists. The
                only wealth to be had is that which falls into the
                hands of these schemers when gullible Americans fall
                into their trap and start sending them money.
                As most of us know, anyone who really wants to
                make us wealth has only to send us a cashier's check.
                Any bank will be glad to deposit the check into our
                account.
                If I continue to receive mail from these con
                artists, I plan to send copies to the office of the
                Attorney General of Virginia. This kind of mail
                eventually finds itself in the hands of a gullible
                reader who could face financial ruin buying into the
                scam. For this reason, I think it important to try to
                put a stop to these deceptive practices.
                In addition to the e-mails, I have also received
                a couple of letters at home from African solicitors. I
                have no idea how these people obtained my name and
                address, but it is disturbing to think about.
                Later, Carol

                === message truncated ===

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Edith Cox
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                  That is what the delete button is for.
                  Edith Cox
                • Rhet Wilkinson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                    That's what I did. I was just warning anyone that might not realize it was a hoax. Rhet
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                      Dear Rhet,
                      Yes, I did too. Just as you said, though, people do
                      fall for scams when they do not recognize them for
                      what they are. Young people and the elderly are
                      particularly vulnerable. Later, Carol

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs