eBay Hoax

  • Rhet Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      I had gotten an email about this earlier so if I am sending it to the person who warned me, thank you, and I am sorry I don't remember who it was. I just got an email that is "suppose" to be from EBay that I need to update my account information. First of all, I don't have an eBay account and had already been brought to my attention that this Hoax is out there trying to get your financial information. Don't fall for this Rhet

    • JGrimes227@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        This is a very common hoax , ebay, paypal, yahoo, aol, etc. The screens are
        copies of those used by these ligitimate web sites, they have some come along
        (like someone has been hacking or trying to make false purchases and may have
        corrupted your information on their web site) and now it is necessary to
        verify your account information which often includes your SSN and your bank account
        number. It is all a scam to get the information and then have their way with
        you. BE VERY CAUTIOUS -

        Also, NEVER respond to the those Nigerian scams. If you get an email telling
        how you are so trustworthy that the esteemed barrister in Taiwan, or Nigeria
        is going to trust you with millions of dollars and wants your account number
        to wire the money.

        John B. Grimes

      • Alex Wessendorf
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          My husband found this site and he said that it will tell you everything about spam and hoaxes and said if you have a question look it up on this site.

          http://www.snopes.com/snopes.asp

          Hope this will help everyone.

          Sincerely
          Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf

          JGrimes227@... wrote:
          This is a very common hoax , ebay, paypal, yahoo, aol, etc. The screens are
          copies of those used by these ligitimate web sites, they have some come along
          (like someone has been hacking or trying to make false purchases and may have
          corrupted your information on their web site) and now it is necessary to
          verify your account information which often includes your SSN and your bank account
          number. It is all a scam to get the information and then have their way with
          you. BE VERY CAUTIOUS -

          Also, NEVER respond to the those Nigerian scams. If you get an email telling
          how you are so trustworthy that the esteemed barrister in Taiwan, or Nigeria
          is going to trust you with millions of dollars and wants your account number
          to wire the money.

          John B. Grimes

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf

          Searching: Wainwrights, Lewis', Dixon, Cooper's, Blockers, Alvarez', Reddish's, Register's, Andrews, Ritch's, Walker's, Wise's, Oliver's, Hinson's, Wessendorf's, Sorensen's, McDonald's, Kile's, Cates
        • Rhet Wilkinson

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              This is another site:

              http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/

              Jean
              jowgen@...

              > Thanks. I knew there was one out there but did not know where it was.
              > Rhet

            • Rhet Wilkinson
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                Thanks Rhet
                > Thanks. I knew there was one out there but did not know where it was.
                > Rhet

                State tax p; t state university United states

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Dear Jean,
                  During the past month, my e-mail has been flooded
                  with appeals from Nigerian and other nationals from
                  various corners of the earth begging me to let them
                  deposit millions of dollars into my account. In
                  exchange I will be paid half of the money deposited in
                  the hands of said nationals to compensate me for my
                  trouble. Not long ago "60 Minutes" [Channel 6,
                  Richmond, Virginia)covered this type of scam. The
                  reporters were finally able to lure some of these
                  nationals to meet with them. Of course, the only money
                  to change hands was money from the hands of the
                  reporters into the hands of the nationals. As you may
                  also have noted, all the messages are urgent, pleading
                  with the recipient to reply without delay as whatever
                  government will claim the deceased person's money if
                  it cannot be transferred to a legitimate claimant who
                  is next of kin to the deceased. Naturally nobody has
                  ever heard of these wealthy dead people because they
                  do not exist any more than their wealth exists. The
                  only wealth to be had is that which falls into the
                  hands of these schemers when gullible Americans fall
                  into their trap and start sending them money.
                  As most of us know, anyone who really wants to
                  make us wealth has only to send us a cashier's check.
                  Any bank will be glad to deposit the check into our
                  account.
                  If I continue to receive mail from these con
                  artists, I plan to send copies to the office of the
                  Attorney General of Virginia. This kind of mail
                  eventually finds itself in the hands of a gullible
                  reader who could face financial ruin buying into the
                  scam. For this reason, I think it important to try to
                  put a stop to these deceptive practices.
                  In addition to the e-mails, I have also received
                  a couple of letters at home from African solicitors. I
                  have no idea how these people obtained my name and
                  address, but it is disturbing to think about.
                  Later, Carol

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Edith Cox
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                    That is what the delete button is for.
                    Edith Cox
                  • Rhet Wilkinson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                      That's what I did. I was just warning anyone that might not realize it was a hoax. Rhet
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                        Dear Rhet,
                        Yes, I did too. Just as you said, though, people do
                        fall for scams when they do not recognize them for
                        what they are. Young people and the elderly are
                        particularly vulnerable. Later, Carol

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs