Re: making copies at county register of deeds

  • Darlene Whitfield
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2005
      Hello All,
      I have been to several counties to make those wonderful copies also in the
      past. Prices may have gone up, at the time Edgecombe charged only 5 cents,
      but they are probably a quarter by now. (the best bargin yet) Greene County
      was the most helpful, (and friendly) they had to make the copy, but the
      charge was not much 10 cents or either 25 cents (not much activity there and
      glad to see you) Pitt County, if I remember correctly, let you make your
      own, and paid for them when you finished, and I think they were a quarter or
      either 50 cents. They are a busy place, they do have lots of information
      there to look through. Jones County, had their's in archival books, but
      they had to make the copies, and the cost was in the 25 to 50 cent bracket.
      Carteret County was also very reasonable. Craven use to would not let you
      open the books (they must have had some bad press since then) because they
      now let you make your own copies and open the books, instead of trying to
      copy the page in the middle of the binder and getting mostly black smudge
      and at a $1.00 per page it was not worth it. The cost is now 25 cents, and
      they give you a key for the copier and you pay up at the end. Also a busy
      place. Pamlico has lots of information, very friendly, but have to make the
      copies and charge a $1, plus stamp on the copy, right in the middle, so it
      looks tacky when finished. (they could put the stamp near the bottom or
      top). Lenoir also charged a $1.00, but you could make your own copies.
      Wilson still charges rather high, just over there at the first of the year,
      and the have to make the copy, plus add a stamp to page. I guess they have
      to charge for using the stamp. Beaufort county has lots there, and cost of
      copies were 25 or 50 cents. Hyde County has a wonderful array of records to
      look through, also in archival covers, and I think the cost was around the
      25 to 50 cent bracket.

      It is very discourging to go in find a treasure (and by then you truly have
      to have it) and then be charge a dollar for each page. This will put a
      limit on you copies, especially if you didn't carry your check book with you
      at the time. So then you have to go back just to make copies. The State
      Archives do not charge that much for them, if anyone was going to charge the
      $1 it would be them, I think they charge the 50 cent bracket. They are
      extremely busy. And closed on Monday's. If you check out their library
      section on the lower floor, you can make copies at the copier for about 10
      cents. Even the libraries make a fortune on us with their copies. New
      Bern's copies are 15 cents each. And you have to feed the box with the exact
      coins, so save up the change before you go. Wonder what they would charge
      if we brought our own paper? You can get a ream for $2.50 at Walmart and
      have 500 pages. It appears that the coping market knows who to go after,
      those of us who are in search of the long lost past of our ancestors.
      Prices are subject to increase, since it has been a couple of years since I
      visited with some of these Court Houses.

      Happy Hunting! By the way the articles in the Chronicles Vol. II look
      great.

      Darlene Whitfield
      Researching -
      Pitt Co - McLawhorn, Moore, Walls, Wards, Joyner,
      Lenoir Co. - Moore, Daughety
      Greene Co. - Robinson, Jones
      Edgecombe Co. - Drake
      Pamlico Co - Sadler, Mercer, Carawan, Whitfield, Voliva, Credle, Robinson,
      and many more
      Craven Co. - Nobles, Hawkins, McLawhorn, Ernul, Drake, Robinson, Moore,
      Avery, McCoy
      and all those other add in names that go with them

      ---
      [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Always Online The High Speed Internet Service]
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2005
        Dear Darlene,
        Thanks for the treasure trove of information. As
        you pointed out, it is a real burden to be on a
        research trip, discover new information, need to copy
        it, but find that the rules put restrictions in the
        way. It is especially frustrating when the costs
        exceed one's travel budget or when one has to have
        change, but there is no place outside one's own pocket
        to obtain it. There oughta be a law! At least with
        your information, the researcher is forewarned. Nearly
        every one of the facilities you mentioned have records
        of my own ancestors, and I really appreciate having
        the information on the different charges and rules
        that affect copying. I will keep your information on
        hand as a reference to use in planning my research. I
        realize that charges are subject to change, but I can
        at least prepare myself with plenty of change wherever
        I go--just in case. Later, Carol

        --- Darlene Whitfield <sisdar@...>

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs