Re: [genpcncfir] Jamestowne book

  • Edith Cox
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 13, 2005
      Linda,
      I believe the book you refer to is: ADVENTURERS OF PURSE AND PERSON-
      VIRGINIA 1607-1624/5. The new book should be the 4th edition and is in three
      volumes. The first volume is available now and the second and thirds volumes
      to be released maybe this year and in 2006. It is published by the Order of
      First Families of Virginia, 1607-1624/5. I would think that any good
      bookstore could order for you. I have seen it advertised in several lineage
      magazines.
      Edith Cox
    • Lou-BB
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 13, 2005
        Edith,

        Does this book have an ISBN number so we can order it this way? I'm still
        looking for the Bohon/Boom/Boone and Bottom/Longbottom line, as well as
        others. It's my understanding that the Longbottom shorten their name by
        dropping the Long and was known for a while as L.Bottom, then finally added
        an (s) and now we go by Bottoms.

        Thanks,
        Linda Bottoms Bass

        > I believe the book you refer to is: ADVENTURERS OF PURSE AND PERSON-
        > VIRGINIA 1607-1624/5. The new book should be the 4th edition and is in
        three
        > volumes. The first volume is available now and the second and thirds
        volumes
        > to be released maybe this year and in 2006. It is published by the Order
        of
        > First Families of Virginia, 1607-1624/5. I would think that any good
        > bookstore could order for you. I have seen it advertised in several
        lineage
        > magazines.
        > Edith Cox

        information:

      • Edith Cox
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 14, 2005
          Linda,
          I have the third edition and I do not see any numbers at all. It was first
          published in 1956 (compiled and edited by Annie Lash Jester, FASG in
          collaboration with Martha Woodroof Hiden, FASG.) The second edition was done
          in 1964, also by them. The third edition was revised and edited in 1987 by
          Virginia M. Meyer (1974-1982) and John Frederick Dorman, FASG (1981-1987). I
          think you should find this book in any good library. I ordered my copy
          ($85)from an ad in the DAR magazine. The fourth edition may be in two
          volumes rather than three.
          Check the net.
          Good luck.
          Edith
          > Does this book have an ISBN number so we can order it this way? I'm still
          > looking for the Bohon/Boom/Boone and Bottom/Longbottom line, as well as
          > others. It's my understanding that the Longbottom shorten their name by
          > dropping the Long and was known for a while as L.Bottom, then finally
          > added
          > an (s) and now we go by Bottoms.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Linda Bottoms Bass

        • Evelyn Hendricks
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 22, 2005
            Do you know if there is anything in these books about a David
            Peopples/Pebbles? Also what about Lewis, Mercer, and Gay?
            I am still trying to figure out to fill out the papers you sent to me. Do
            you have anyway of finding out the number of my cousins papers? She died
            last year and I have no idea how to contact her children.
            > I believe the book you refer to is: ADVENTURERS OF PURSE AND PERSON-
            > VIRGINIA 1607-1624/5. The new book should be the 4th edition and is in
            three
            > volumes. The first volume is available now and the second and thirds
            volumes
            > to be released maybe this year and in 2006. It is published by the Order
            of
            > First Families of Virginia, 1607-1624/5. I would think that any good
            > bookstore could order for you. I have seen it advertised in several
            lineage
            > magazines.
            > Edith Cox

            information:

          • Edith Cox
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
              Evelyn,
              Do you mean the DAR Patriot Index? Neither are listed in the Index.
              Yes, I can get your cousin's papers. I need to know her name- first, maiden
              and married. Was she from NC? Where in NC? Do you know where she was a
              member. It may take several weeks as headquarters is backed up on getting
              record copy out. I will write for it as soon as I hear from you.
              I'm still coming to visit. I've had grandchildren (I love it) off and on all
              summer and will continue to until school starts.
              Stay cool.
              Edith
              > Do you know if there is anything in these books about a David
              > Peopples/Pebbles? Also what about Lewis, Mercer, and Gay?
              > I am still trying to figure out to fill out the papers you sent to me. Do
              > you have anyway of finding out the number of my cousins papers? She died
              > last year and I have no idea how to contact her children.

            • Edith Cox
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                Evelyn,
                There is a David Peebles, Sr. (different spelling)
                b. circa 1739 VA, d. abt. 1-1-1796 in GA. and married Elizabeth Cook. He was
                a soldier and performed patriotic service in NC.
                Edith
                > Do you know if there is anything in these books about a David
                > Peopples/Pebbles? Also what about Lewis, Mercer, and Gay?
                > I am still trying to figure out to fill out the papers you sent to me. Do
                > you have anyway of finding out the number of my cousins papers? She died
                > last year and I have no idea how to contact her children.

              • liz_sparrow
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                  Evelyn, do you or other Peoples/Peebles researchers know anything
                  about the Edgecombe County marriage record of David Peoples who
                  married Rebecca Jenkins 11/10/1824? I descend from David Henry
                  Washington Peoples/Peebles who was born around 1850 in Edgecombe
                  County (I think). His father supposedly was Ashley A. Peoples
                  (according to marriage bond). His mother was Mary "Polly" A. Raynor
                  Peoples/Peebles. In the 1910 census, I found him in the Speights
                  Bridge area of Greene County as a boarder in the home of John H.
                  Jenkins. He probably died soon thereafter.

                  Thanks.........Liz
                • Evelyn Hendricks
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                    These names sound familiar. I have not been able to connect to them, but I
                    think I have a little information. I am not sure I have it or if I just
                    remember the names from my research. Right now I don't know where my notes
                    are. We still don't have everything straightened from our move. I have not
                    been able to help and I told my husband to just my let genealogy stuff
                    alone and I would get to it when I could. I am getting better now and maybe
                    before long I will be able to get it put away. When I do I will let you know
                    if I have anything on these people.
                    Evelyn