Jamestowne book

  • Linda Dail
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 13, 2005
      Dear research family,
      Several weeks ago, I noticed something about a new book - the first in a series on the descendants of the early settlers of Jamestown VA
      Will someone please send me info - title, author and where I may purchase this book?
      Thank you,
      Linda

      Linda Dail - Researching: ALLEN, ALEXANDER, BERRY, DAIL,DEAL, EXUM, FORREST, HASELDEN,HUNNINGS, McCOTTER, SANDERS, SPEIGHT,TURNAGE, WILLIAMS

    • Edith Cox
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 13, 2005
        Linda,
        I believe the book you refer to is: ADVENTURERS OF PURSE AND PERSON-
        VIRGINIA 1607-1624/5. The new book should be the 4th edition and is in three
        volumes. The first volume is available now and the second and thirds volumes
        to be released maybe this year and in 2006. It is published by the Order of
        First Families of Virginia, 1607-1624/5. I would think that any good
        bookstore could order for you. I have seen it advertised in several lineage
        magazines.
        Edith Cox
      • Lou-BB
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 13, 2005
          Edith,

          Does this book have an ISBN number so we can order it this way? I'm still
          looking for the Bohon/Boom/Boone and Bottom/Longbottom line, as well as
          others. It's my understanding that the Longbottom shorten their name by
          dropping the Long and was known for a while as L.Bottom, then finally added
          an (s) and now we go by Bottoms.

          Thanks,
          Linda Bottoms Bass

          > I believe the book you refer to is: ADVENTURERS OF PURSE AND PERSON-
          > VIRGINIA 1607-1624/5. The new book should be the 4th edition and is in
          three
          > volumes. The first volume is available now and the second and thirds
          volumes
          > to be released maybe this year and in 2006. It is published by the Order
          of
          > First Families of Virginia, 1607-1624/5. I would think that any good
          > bookstore could order for you. I have seen it advertised in several
          lineage
          > magazines.
          > Edith Cox

          information:

        • Edith Cox
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 14, 2005
            Linda,
            I have the third edition and I do not see any numbers at all. It was first
            published in 1956 (compiled and edited by Annie Lash Jester, FASG in
            collaboration with Martha Woodroof Hiden, FASG.) The second edition was done
            in 1964, also by them. The third edition was revised and edited in 1987 by
            Virginia M. Meyer (1974-1982) and John Frederick Dorman, FASG (1981-1987). I
            think you should find this book in any good library. I ordered my copy
            ($85)from an ad in the DAR magazine. The fourth edition may be in two
            volumes rather than three.
            Check the net.
            Good luck.
            Edith
            > Does this book have an ISBN number so we can order it this way? I'm still
            > looking for the Bohon/Boom/Boone and Bottom/Longbottom line, as well as
            > others. It's my understanding that the Longbottom shorten their name by
            > dropping the Long and was known for a while as L.Bottom, then finally
            > added
            > an (s) and now we go by Bottoms.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Linda Bottoms Bass

          • Evelyn Hendricks
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 22, 2005
              Do you know if there is anything in these books about a David
              Peopples/Pebbles? Also what about Lewis, Mercer, and Gay?
              I am still trying to figure out to fill out the papers you sent to me. Do
              you have anyway of finding out the number of my cousins papers? She died
              last year and I have no idea how to contact her children.
              > I believe the book you refer to is: ADVENTURERS OF PURSE AND PERSON-
              > VIRGINIA 1607-1624/5. The new book should be the 4th edition and is in
              three
              > volumes. The first volume is available now and the second and thirds
              volumes
              > to be released maybe this year and in 2006. It is published by the Order
              of
              > First Families of Virginia, 1607-1624/5. I would think that any good
              > bookstore could order for you. I have seen it advertised in several
              lineage
              > magazines.
              > Edith Cox

              information:

            • Edith Cox
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                Evelyn,
                Do you mean the DAR Patriot Index? Neither are listed in the Index.
                Yes, I can get your cousin's papers. I need to know her name- first, maiden
                and married. Was she from NC? Where in NC? Do you know where she was a
                member. It may take several weeks as headquarters is backed up on getting
                record copy out. I will write for it as soon as I hear from you.
                I'm still coming to visit. I've had grandchildren (I love it) off and on all
                summer and will continue to until school starts.
                Stay cool.
                Edith
                > Do you know if there is anything in these books about a David
                > Peopples/Pebbles? Also what about Lewis, Mercer, and Gay?
                > I am still trying to figure out to fill out the papers you sent to me. Do
                > you have anyway of finding out the number of my cousins papers? She died
                > last year and I have no idea how to contact her children.

              • Edith Cox
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                  Evelyn,
                  There is a David Peebles, Sr. (different spelling)
                  b. circa 1739 VA, d. abt. 1-1-1796 in GA. and married Elizabeth Cook. He was
                  a soldier and performed patriotic service in NC.
                  Edith
                  > Do you know if there is anything in these books about a David
                  > Peopples/Pebbles? Also what about Lewis, Mercer, and Gay?
                  > I am still trying to figure out to fill out the papers you sent to me. Do
                  > you have anyway of finding out the number of my cousins papers? She died
                  > last year and I have no idea how to contact her children.

                • liz_sparrow
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                    Evelyn, do you or other Peoples/Peebles researchers know anything
                    about the Edgecombe County marriage record of David Peoples who
                    married Rebecca Jenkins 11/10/1824? I descend from David Henry
                    Washington Peoples/Peebles who was born around 1850 in Edgecombe
                    County (I think). His father supposedly was Ashley A. Peoples
                    (according to marriage bond). His mother was Mary "Polly" A. Raynor
                    Peoples/Peebles. In the 1910 census, I found him in the Speights
                    Bridge area of Greene County as a boarder in the home of John H.
                    Jenkins. He probably died soon thereafter.

                    Thanks.........Liz
                  • Evelyn Hendricks
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                      These names sound familiar. I have not been able to connect to them, but I
                      think I have a little information. I am not sure I have it or if I just
                      remember the names from my research. Right now I don't know where my notes
                      are. We still don't have everything straightened from our move. I have not
                      been able to help and I told my husband to just my let genealogy stuff
                      alone and I would get to it when I could. I am getting better now and maybe
                      before long I will be able to get it put away. When I do I will let you know
                      if I have anything on these people.
                      Evelyn