Re: [genpcncfir] Lawsuit over copying public records

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13 6:44 AM
      Dear Group,
      In Virginia, Richmond and Henrico County courts
      charge for all public records and legal
      documents--usually 50 cents a page. If it is a legal
      document like a deed or divorce decree and the
      customer wants an official seal attached, there is an
      added charge.
      I judge from the comments under this heading that
      somewhere someone has filed a suit contesting these
      fees. Please share the details. In Richmond, the only
      recent lawsuit I know of involved a couple who felt
      they had been misled by one of the government
      agencies. As a result, they filed a Freedom of
      Information Act request to obtain the facts they
      needed. When they received the documents, they saw
      that some information had been blacked out. In
      addition, they received a bill for thousands of
      dollars (some astronomical figure that I forget, but
      in the range of the cost of a new car). They filed a
      suit and succeeded in winning a significant reduction
      in the "copying costs."
      One of the arguments raised in the suit that was
      mentioned in several newspaper articles in the
      Richmond Times-Dispatch was the "tacked on" charges
      beyond the copying fee to compensate the agency for
      employee time spent on the copying. This additional
      charge outraged the couple. After all, aren't state
      employees being compensated already? As for the
      agency, isn't one of the main reasons for its
      existence that of serving the public.
      I am interested to learn more about the case
      group members are referring to. Do bring me up to
      date. Later, Carol

      --- Alex Wessendorf <gorda1@...> wrote:

      > I think all the counties in every state should as
      > well. In Stark Florida a 1.00 a copy for each and
      > every page.
      >
      > Alex
      >
      > LdMel1@... wrote:
      > Someone should bring this to the attention of the
      > Lenoir Co. records in
      > Kinston. They were charging $1.00 per copy the last
      > time I went there for
      > copies. Hopefully they will drop their fees.
      > Linda

      > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for
      > description and ordering information:

      > Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf
      >

      > Searching: Wainwrights, Lewis', Dixon, Cooper's,
      > Blockers, Alvarez', Reddish's, Register's, Andrews,
      > Ritch's, Walker's, Wise's, Oliver's, Hinson's,
      > Wessendorf's, Sorensen's, McDonald's, Kile's, Cates

    • Rhet Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13 7:51 AM
        This is the link that will tell you about what happened and that started this thread. Rhet
        http://www.wilsondaily.com/Wil_region/Local_News/297645074583186.php

        In Virginia, Richmond and Henrico County courts
        charge for all public records and legal
        documents--usually 50 cents a page. If it is a legal
        document like a deed or divorce decree and the
        customer wants an official seal attached, there is an
        added charge.
        I judge from the comments under this heading that
        somewhere someone has filed a suit contesting these
        fees. Please share the details. In Richmond, the only
        recent lawsuit I know of involved a couple who felt
        they had been misled by one of the government
        agencies. As a result, they filed a Freedom of
        Information Act request to obtain the facts they
        needed. When they received the documents, they saw
        that some information had been blacked out. In
        addition, they received a bill for thousands of
        dollars (some astronomical figure that I forget, but
        in the range of the cost of a new car). They filed a
        suit and succeeded in winning a significant reduction
        in the "copying costs."
        One of the arguments raised in the suit that was
        mentioned in several newspaper articles in the
        Richmond Times-Dispatch was the "tacked on" charges
        beyond the copying fee to compensate the agency for
        employee time spent on the copying. This additional
        charge outraged the couple. After all, aren't state
        employees being compensated already? As for the
        agency, isn't one of the main reasons for its
        existence that of serving the public.
        I am interested to learn more about the case
        group members are referring to. Do bring me up to
        date. Later, Carol

        --- Alex Wessendorf <gorda1@...> wrote:

        > I think all the counties in every state should as
        > well. In Stark Florida a 1.00 a copy for each and
        > every page.
        >
        > Alex
        >
        > LdMel1@... wrote:
        > Someone should bring this to the attention of the
        > Lenoir Co. records in
        > Kinston. They were charging $1.00 per copy the last
        > time I went there for
        > copies. Hopefully they will drop their fees.
        > Linda

        > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for
        > description and ordering information:

        > Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf
        >

        > Searching: Wainwrights, Lewis', Dixon, Cooper's,
        > Blockers, Alvarez', Reddish's, Register's, Andrews,
        > Ritch's, Walker's, Wise's, Oliver's, Hinson's,
        > Wessendorf's, Sorensen's, McDonald's, Kile's, Cates

      • Jo Webb
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13 8:08 AM
          Rhet,
          This article came from the Wilson Daily Times and Wilson is one of the
          counties that charge so much for their copies. $1.00 a sheet.

          Jo

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13 9:11 AM
            Dear Group and Rhet, Thank you very much for filling
            me in. Since most of us have relatives in Pitt,
            Greene, Lenoir, Nash, and surrounding counties, the
            charges for copies is of personal concern. Knowing in
            advance what we might have to pay is useful
            information to have and easily overlooked when we are
            planning research trips. Carol

            === message truncated ===

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs