Lawsuit over copying public records

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
      Interesting! Nash County, NC

      http://www.wilsondaily.com/Wil_region/Local_News/297645074583186.php

      Faye Hays

    • LdMel1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
        Someone should bring this to the attention of the Lenoir Co. records in
        Kinston. They were charging $1.00 per copy the last time I went there for
        copies. Hopefully they will drop their fees.
        Linda

      • Alex Wessendorf
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
          I think all the counties in every state should as well. In Stark Florida a 1.00 a copy for each and every page.

          Alex

          LdMel1@... wrote:
          Someone should bring this to the attention of the Lenoir Co. records in
          Kinston. They were charging $1.00 per copy the last time I went there for
          copies. Hopefully they will drop their fees.
          Linda

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf

          Searching: Wainwrights, Lewis', Dixon, Cooper's, Blockers, Alvarez', Reddish's, Register's, Andrews, Ritch's, Walker's, Wise's, Oliver's, Hinson's, Wessendorf's, Sorensen's, McDonald's, Kile's, Cates

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13, 2005
            Dear Group,
            In Virginia, Richmond and Henrico County courts
            charge for all public records and legal
            documents--usually 50 cents a page. If it is a legal
            document like a deed or divorce decree and the
            customer wants an official seal attached, there is an
            added charge.
            I judge from the comments under this heading that
            somewhere someone has filed a suit contesting these
            fees. Please share the details. In Richmond, the only
            recent lawsuit I know of involved a couple who felt
            they had been misled by one of the government
            agencies. As a result, they filed a Freedom of
            Information Act request to obtain the facts they
            needed. When they received the documents, they saw
            that some information had been blacked out. In
            addition, they received a bill for thousands of
            dollars (some astronomical figure that I forget, but
            in the range of the cost of a new car). They filed a
            suit and succeeded in winning a significant reduction
            in the "copying costs."
            One of the arguments raised in the suit that was
            mentioned in several newspaper articles in the
            Richmond Times-Dispatch was the "tacked on" charges
            beyond the copying fee to compensate the agency for
            employee time spent on the copying. This additional
            charge outraged the couple. After all, aren't state
            employees being compensated already? As for the
            agency, isn't one of the main reasons for its
            existence that of serving the public.
            I am interested to learn more about the case
            group members are referring to. Do bring me up to
            date. Later, Carol

            --- Alex Wessendorf <gorda1@...> wrote:

            > I think all the counties in every state should as
            > well. In Stark Florida a 1.00 a copy for each and
            > every page.
            >
            > Alex
            >
            > LdMel1@... wrote:
            > Someone should bring this to the attention of the
            > Lenoir Co. records in
            > Kinston. They were charging $1.00 per copy the last
            > time I went there for
            > copies. Hopefully they will drop their fees.
            > Linda

            > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for
            > description and ordering information:

            > Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf
            >

            > Searching: Wainwrights, Lewis', Dixon, Cooper's,
            > Blockers, Alvarez', Reddish's, Register's, Andrews,
            > Ritch's, Walker's, Wise's, Oliver's, Hinson's,
            > Wessendorf's, Sorensen's, McDonald's, Kile's, Cates

          • Rhet Wilkinson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 13, 2005
              This is the link that will tell you about what happened and that started this thread. Rhet

            • Jo Webb
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 13, 2005
                Rhet,
                This article came from the Wilson Daily Times and Wilson is one of the
                counties that charge so much for their copies. $1.00 a sheet.

                Jo

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 13, 2005
                  Dear Group and Rhet, Thank you very much for filling
                  me in. Since most of us have relatives in Pitt,
                  Greene, Lenoir, Nash, and surrounding counties, the
                  charges for copies is of personal concern. Knowing in
                  advance what we might have to pay is useful
                  information to have and easily overlooked when we are
                  planning research trips. Carol

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs