Abstracts of newspaper articles - Reddick Carney family

  • Diane Whitehurst Collins
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2005
      You can find abstracts of old newspaper articles at this web site: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jganis/unionco/newspapers.html

      "Thursday, May 28, 1868 N.C. ARGUS (Wadesborough, Anson County, NC)
      -We have received a letter from Mr. B. H. HEARNE, of Greenville, N.C., calling our attention to the helpless and destitute condition in which the family of Reddick CARNEY are now placed, the result of the barbarous and inhuman conduct of the United States Troops, in wantonly burning the home of unprotected women. Nothing was saved from the house; not a particle of clothing of any description, with the exception of what they wore at the time of the awful tragedy that cost them the lives of a father and brother, and the nearly fatal wounding of a husband. The narration of the dreadful deed caused a thrill of sympathy and horror throughout the entire county, and many generous hearts beat with compassion for the defenceless and homeless family of the murdered men. The condition is represented to be destitute in the extreme, and their suffering must increases unless relieved by the generous charity of their fellow people. Any contributions, either in money, provisions or clothing will be
      most greatly appreciated. Forward them to Mr. B. H. HEARNE, Greenville, Pitt co., N.C., who will see that they are properly applied."