Re: [genpcncfir] Edwards/2

  • eahsr16@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2005
      In a message dated 3/23/2005 4:53:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      raejean1@... writes:
      Britton Edwards born estimate bef 1765 (if age 21 or older at time of 1786
      Tax List)
      1786 Beaufort County Tax List
      1790 Census, Beaufort County (1 male 16+ for Britton Edwards)
      c1800 NC marriage to Ann Orrell
      10 Sep 1815 Beaufort County Will of William Orrell "I do give and bequeath
      to my loving Daughter Ann Edwards One hundred and Sixty Acres of land lying
      on the North side of Nutons Run..... I do make constitute and ordain my two
      Sons in Law Tho. M. Adams and Britton Edwards my Executors of this my last
      Will and Testament, William Orrell (seal)"

      Have not decided parents of this Britton Edwards.... but a possibility is
      Walker Edwards who in his 11 July 1805 will Beaufort County indicated
      "Executors: Son Brittain Edwards, Walker Edwards."
      In his 1805 will, Walker Edwards listed wife Liddy and children as:
      Walker Edwards son
      Samuel Edwards son
      Liddy Edwards dau
      Rachel Edwards dau
      Rear? Edwards son
      David Edwards son
      Brittain Edwards son
      Julian De (no surname listed) dau
      Elizabeth (no surname listed) dau
      Juda (no surname listed) dau
      Christopher De (no surname listed) son
      Susannah (no surnamed listed) dau
      Howel Downes grandson
      I looked in NC Gazetteer for all spellings of Nuton's Run but couldn't find
      anything and without dates, I can't guess at anything from the death dates.

      If this Brittain was on the 1786 tax list, he only had to be 16 to be listed
      on the tax list, which means he could have been born as late as 1770. He
      didn't have any children, it appears to me, in 1790 because you list only 1 male
      16+ in 1790 which makes me think he was probably about 16 in 1786 and still
      unmarried since you didn't list a female.

      I'm interested in the Ann Orrell, but since neither of us have any dates for
      her, it is impossible for me to get a date from the death date of her father's
      will. I'm going to remove her as the wife of my Brittain Edwards, Sr.
      However, it is interesting to note from the names that neither Brittain Edwards shows
      a daughter named Ann, unless Ann was a middle name.

      There appears to be two Brittain Edwards in Pitt County from the following:

      Folder 1780. Information: Appearance bond for Daniel Walker (50,000) with
      bondsmen Richard Proctor and Britain Edwards (25,000 each) to appear and submit
      to judgement against him. Date: 28 April 1780. County Pitt.

      The above Brittain had to be at least 21 to be involved in a legal proceeding
      of this type which would have made his birth date approximately, if not
      older, 1759.

      Thanks for the information.

      Faye Hays