My point of view

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 16, 2005
      Friends,

      I feel the need to voice my view, out of respect to all the good
      members of this list and out of respect to Jewelle, our kind and
      generous "list mother" (who is truly a jewel of a person).

      To Carol and Bob:

      Your stories are interesting and entertaining. I have created "Carol"
      and "Bob" folders in which I save many of the interesting and special
      stories. I have learned much colorful, local history from Bob. From
      my cousin Carol, I have learned about members of my family whom I did
      not know.

      To Jewelle:

      I have a feeling that you have been enjoying the stories as much as
      anyone.

      You created this list so members can share genealogy. When some of the
      list members tell you that the stories are getting off topic, you are
      absolutely right to remind us in your gentle and thoughtful way.

      I was truly amazed at how long you waited to attempt to correct our
      behavior. You are much more lenient than most list keepers. I am
      grateful for your patience and for your generosity to us in providing
      us with this list to share information. Thorough this forum, I have
      met a number of cousins and learned about many ancestors and relations.
      Thank you for all that you have done to help us learn more of our
      family history.

      To all genpcncfir list members:

      I don't want all the stories to end, but Jewelle is right. Sometimes
      we are getting "too" off topic.

      We can still tell stories that pertain to local social and family
      history. Let's just try to keep in mind the purpose of the list, as we
      relate the stories.

      I am sure the humorous response from Carol and Bob was not meant to be
      disrespectful to anyone. They are both kind and considerate,
      intelligent and thoughtful, compassionate humans. I particularly love
      my cousin Carol and would like to claim her for a sister.

      Carry on. Let's continue to share and learn all we can from one
      another.

      Trish

    • Bob Forbes
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 17, 2005
        Trish & all PC friends & relatives - Really 'preciate the kind, personal
        thoughts. As to some of my own posts, I humbly accept the "ridiculous"
        characterization, but certainly mean no disrespect to no one! Will endeavor
        to put a lid on it ... mostly... as much as I can. Just don't let Carol get
        me started again... she's the real troublemaker:)
        Y'all have a nice day!

      • bonnpip@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 17, 2005
          Although I don't respond a lot, I do want to say how helpful I have found
          your sight! And I always look forward to reading the next response! Keep up
          the good work!

          Bonnie Piper (Harris, Parker, Hardison, Smith)

        • Faye Silliman
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 17, 2005
            It gives me a sense of my roots to Pitt County to hear
            from all these wonderful breathing people who are
            probably related to me somewhere down the line.

            We painstakingly piece the past together. It makes me
            appreciate who I am and how I got to be here.
            Sometimes it is nice to put it all in present tense
            and just be human.

            This is not really off topic. I just appreciate this
            mail group whether I actively participate or not.

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 17, 2005
              Dear Faye, Thank you so much for your in-put. Through
              our group's sharing its experiences along with its
              research, people get a fuller picture of what life was
              like for our ancestors. Knowing the forces that shaped
              them helps us to understand why they made some of the
              decisions they made and why they acted sometimes in
              ways that without that background would totally baffle
              us--like was there something in the water that day Joe
              ran off with Sally? The context of that decision
              provides a key, even if it might not explain it all.
              Time and again reviews of Tarheel novels credit our
              writers with an "incredible sense of place." I think
              that is in our blood. It shows in work like Patrick
              Gurganus's "Last Surviving Confederate Widow Tells
              All" or that song, "Still you wonder who's seeing who,
              and who's being true, and who don't even care anymore,
              and who's doing right by someone tonight, and who's
              car is parked next door." I do not say that we thrive
              on gossip but that we thrive because of our
              relationships with one another; we reach out to
              people; we care. Sharing information and experience
              with this group, especially for those of us who were
              up-rooted, is like being back home: "Are you lonesome
              tonight,? sang Elvis. We can relate to that. In our
              absence from another, our memories and ties of kinship
              are all that bind us together until we meet again at
              one or another of our reunions. Later, Carol

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 17, 2005
                Dear Trish, All your points are well-taken. Our
                dialect was not meant to be disrespectful. Instead, we
                simply replied in kind. If someone had written me in
                French or Spanish, I would have responded in the
                relevant language. Dialect is also part of our roots.
                I remember one of my first baby sitting jobs here in
                the city of Richmond. I got that job because the
                family wanted someone who could read Uncle Remus to
                their young daughters. The parents were from New York
                and had bought the book for their daughters after
                seeing "Song of the South." To their amazement, when
                they opened the book, they found they could neither
                read nor understand more than a word or two. Like any
                language, dialect has roots and a tradition. As young
                people leave home and go to college, dialect is dying
                out. Like any other rare species, it could become
                extinct within our own life times. Years ago when I
                was in graduate school, my knowledge of French made me
                the designated hostess for an exchange student from
                France who came to this country to get a M.A. in
                American literature. In addition to leading her
                through registration and being her interpreter, I was
                called upon to help her with her American literature
                course on writers called "regional realists," for
                among other things their use of dialect. She could
                understand none of it. To her, it was another language
                to master. Had it not been for my background, I would
                have missed out on the many wonderful afternoons we
                spent together making sense of Joel Chandler Harris,
                Josh Billings, and Mark Twain. Knowing French also
                made it possible for me to tutor several Ph.D.
                candidates for their language examinations and to have
                as a reward their scoring "off the board" with perfect
                results. It was not that I was so great. I simply was
                a knowledgeable test-taker when it came to those
                exams. Nothing one ever learns in life is wasted.
                Ignorance costs; education pays. Later, Carol

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 17, 2005
                  Dear Bob, "Confessio Amantes." I will reign it
                  in--remove the blinders and chomp on the bit. Later,
                  Carol

                  The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                  http://my.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 17, 2005
                    Dear Bob, OOPS! I will cease REIGNING and "REIN." Yes,
                    I am certain about that. Later, Carol

                  • HUBCAPTG@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 17, 2005
                      When telling "stories" perhaps you could change the subject line, giving us
                      fair warning as to whether or not we might want to read the post.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 10, 2006
                        Dear Bob,
                        In reviewing my e-mails prior to heading out on
                        Thursday for Greenville for the Pitt County Family
                        Researcher's Reunion, I came across our discussions of
                        "exclusive" and other trendy terms that mean whatever
                        the writer intended them to mean. Therefore, the
                        meaning may depend upon the reader being "in-the-know"
                        when it comes to any given writer.
                        "Exclusive" is alive and well in Richmond,
                        Virginia. Every time I see the commercial about Digga
                        the Dematophite or the Shreck-like, mucousy green
                        creature in the ad plugging an over-the-counter
                        allergy medication, I am thinking, "There goes the
                        neighborhood!"
                        The latest "there goes" here has come about because
                        of the drenching we received here last week.
                        It caused the third flooding of a neighborhood near
                        mine on the Northside, Battery Park. The area has
                        quite literally lived up to its name, having been
                        battered from three consecutive soakings in less than
                        two months.
                        The Times-Dispatch over the weekend had an article
                        giving the background of the area and the reason for
                        the flooding. The neighborhood began as a landfill in
                        1940 and was abandoned around 1980. Subsequently, a
                        subdivision was built over the landfill, which is some
                        90 feet deep. At the bottom of this pit are the sewage
                        pipes which need replacing.
                        Initially, the discussion centered upon replacing
                        these pipes. Then someone pointed out that digging
                        them up was likely to result in a sink hole the likes
                        of which nobody wants to see.
                        In the meanwhile, 174 homes have been evacuated
                        because of sewage filling the yards and basements.
                        Additionally, the City condemned 74 of these homes
                        following the first flooding a couple of months ago.
                        Guess what? The federal government has refused to
                        help these people. The governor has appealed the
                        decision, only to be turned down again.
                        Some readers writing in to the Times-Dispatch do
                        not think that the federal government ought to pay.
                        Some think the State should pay. Some think the City
                        should pay.
                        The State does not think it should pay. The City
                        does not think it should pay.
                        Everybody appears to be hoping that the problem
                        will simply disappear. That builds a case for digging
                        up the pipes and letting the sink hole swallow up the
                        mess.
                        The neighborhood in question is predominantly black
                        as in New Orleans. Some people are calling it
                        Richmond's Katrina.
                        Richmond rallied around Katrina with citizens from
                        all walks of life busing themselves to New Orleans to
                        give hands-on assistance to individual homeowners.
                        Strange, isn't it, that nobody in Richmond has rallied
                        around Battery Park.
                        In the meantime, the City is openly discussing how
                        to use $63,000,000 it set aside for a Performing Arts
                        Center that never materialized. Need anyone ask what
                        Richmond should do with that money when we have
                        law-abiding, tax-paying citizens homeless through no
                        fault of their own. The City, by the way, has
                        acknowledged responsibility for having allowed houses
                        to be built over that landfill, but it denies having
                        funds to compensate the homeowners.
                        To paraphrase the song, it's a strange world after
                        all.
                        Later, Carol

                      • Bob Forbes
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 11, 2006
                          Dear Carol - I'm obligated to respond on this one because it's in my line of work as an environmental engineer, even though off the topic of Pitt County gen. research. If it was a City landfill that closed in 1980, the City is clearly responsible for damage to homes that were built there later. The land on top of most closed landfills is converted to parks or public golf courses, largely because of the risk of building structures there. Material in the landfill continues to degrade, so of course the land continues to subside until it's stable, which will take several decades (not unlike old, unmarked gravesites that can be spotted a century later due to the sunken earth). The pipes you are speaking of underneath the landfill are for draining the leachate, for one of the natural byproducts of anaerobic decomposition is water (although not anything you'd want to drink!). The other primary byproduct is methane, also known as "natural gas." Many closed landfills (if they were built correctly) can be mined for several decades after closure for the natural gas they produce --- a closed municipal landfill can be good for several mW of power if "tapped" correctly.

                          It was clearly wrong of the City of Richmond (or perhaps the gov't of Henrico County -- whoever owned and operated the landfill) to sell it for private real estate after closure -- UNLESS they fully disclosed the hazards and risks of building there in the real-estate closing statements, in which case "caveat emptor" would have to apply. And since you've sold real estate before, I'm sure you're familiar w/ that lil' Latin phrase!

                          Know you and all others attending the PCFR reunion will have a good time and perhaps learn a new thing or two about our ancestors. See if you can come upon any more clues about the father of Robert Forbes (1789-1845) who married Gracey Tyson, from which your line springs. I believe his father was Charles Forbes and his grandfather was John Forbes, the Deputy Surveyor-General d.~1750, who was also my 4-gr-grfather and would make us something like 5th cousins - just looking for a few more pieces of solid evidence to tie those lines together...

                          Bob Forbes
                          bforbes@...

                          --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:

                          > Trish & all PC friends & relatives - Really
                          > 'preciate the kind, personal
                          > thoughts. As to some of my own posts, I humbly
                          > accept the "ridiculous"
                          > characterization, but certainly mean no disrespect
                          > to no one! Will endeavor
                          > to put a lid on it ... mostly... as much as I can.
                          > Just don't let Carol get
                          > me started again... she's the real troublemaker:)
                          > Y'all have a nice day!

                        • Dani
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 11, 2006
                            Hi, I really enjoy Bob and Carol's stories, and look forward to them. So, that is my view. I am flying from Houston to Raleigh, and from there go to Greenville. Debbie Kittrell Davis and I will be at the Days Inn in Greenville. I will meet all of you Friday. I am so excited! Debbie and I will spend a week in Greenville and from there go to VA and see a cousin; and my brother lives in Va Beach. At any rate I will be off my computer from Oct 11 through Oct 25. See ya'all Friday! Dani

                            Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
                            ~ Mark Twain

                          • Trish Worthington Cobb
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 11, 2006
                              Bob,

                              An interesting belief...

                              Will certainly look for any evidence.

                              Trish

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 11, 2006
                                Dear Bob,
                                I know about the decomposition from organic
                                material from my study of literature--like, for
                                example, Edith Wharton's "Roman Fever," a good read if
                                ever there were one.
                                The newspaper articles on the landfill did
                                acknowledge the leakage of the methane gas as well as
                                the decomposition and the instability of the land
                                itself.
                                Yes, I know about caveat emptor. My first
                                acquaintance with it came from an Uncle Mark lecture
                                to me on the subject of liability on defective
                                merchandise. My high school Latin teacher, Mrs.
                                Martin, also listed it among useful terms one could
                                learn from the study of Latin. Then, of course, it
                                appeared in my real estate class and later in my
                                paralegal and administration of justice classes.
                                The City of Richmond has accepted responsibility
                                for the fiasco as far as trying to address immediate
                                needs like evacuation to a shelter it opened
                                specifically for the purpose of temporarily housing
                                these people while it pumped raw sewage from their
                                basements and yards and streets. Then, it issued
                                vouchers for hotel accommodations for these people
                                after closing the shelter.
                                Just this morning FEMA, according to the
                                Times-Dispatch article, has kicked in after deciding
                                to help these people with more permanent housing.
                                I have twice as a City of Richmond resident had
                                the same experience as these residents. The City
                                intervened promptly. It sent employees to supervise
                                operations; it sent the equipment to do the job; and
                                it sent inspectors when the job was completed to be
                                sure their were no code violations.
                                With the Battery Park residents, the time lapse
                                between the flooding and the response and then the
                                history of the land use prior to the building of the
                                homes really aroused the ire of the readership of the
                                Times-Dispatch and of residents and non-residents
                                alike. The local radio and t.v. stations joined in the
                                hue and cry. Now, as Shakespeare would have put it,
                                "All's Well that Ends Well," or so we hope.
                                Will you be ale to attend the PCR Reunion? Fifth
                                cousin or first uncle, I would like to meet you.
                                In the meantime, I will continue my Forbes research
                                and see what I can learn.
                                Thanks so much for sharing your first-hand
                                experience on these landfills. Information like yours
                                in addition to its interest can also prove very
                                valuable to prospective home buyers.
                                Later, Carol

                                === message truncated ===