Re: [genpcncfir] marriages

    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 4, 2005
      Dear Lisa, I am not sure either. Mama said that many
      of our relatives lived there and went to school there.
      Later, Carol
      --- lisascarola <feonadorf@...> wrote:

      > Carol,
      >
      > I'm not sure where Chicod is located but I know a
      > few of my McGowan
      > ancestors married there. Just another place I
      > thought you might look.
      >
      > Lisa

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
    • Bill Kittrell
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 2, 2008
        Present day Chicod is located at the intersection of NC 43 South
        and Stokestown-St. Johns Road. This is about 6-7 miles south
        of Greenville toward Vanceboro.

        The old high school was built here in 1929 and is now an
        an K-8 school. Used to be an old lumber mill here, run by
        Will Smith. The Smiths and Gardners were living in this area.

        Just from memory I believe Simpson use to be called Chicod.
        Simpson is on the Blackjack-Simpson Road about 9 miles from
        Chicod.

        Here are some excerpts from Roger Kammerer's notes
        on towns and villages in Pitt County.
        "Simpson, formerly called "Chicod," is a small residential town
        located about five miles east of Greenville. It was just another
        farm community until the railroad came through in 1907
        and it began to grow into a town. "

        "In 1900 a three-room schoolhouse was built at Chicod

        known as Oak Grove School. This became the Simpson

        Graded School by 1911 with Delia Smith as principal

        and Daisy Tucker as assistant teacher. In 1918 the

        Simpson School had 70 pupils and had three teachers:

        Misses Minnie Warner, Rosa Wootten, and Helen Wootten.

        This school closed in 1932 when it was consolidated with

        the Grimesland School."

        "In 1907 the Norfolk and Southern Railroad built a rail line from Greenville

        to Chocowinity which passed through the Chicod community, and

        it is said that Captain J. J. Laughinghouse named the railroad

        town Simpson."

        "After the coming of the railroad and the depot was built, the

        village began having an identity crisis. The railroad station

        was called Simpson, but the post office continued to be known

        as Chicod. There were numerous calls for efforts to enact a

        law to change either the post office or railroad station name,

        to no avail. The town remained double-named until 1965."

        Today it is know as Simpson.