Re: [genpcncfir] Family medical history

  • Evelyn Hendricks
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
      Maybe your Bakers are connected to my families somewhere back down the
      line.Before the days of modern medicine nearly all the Bailey men died of
      heart attacks before they were fifty. One of my older cousins, Ella Bailey
      Darden, told me that some of the Bailey women have it too. My son developed
      high blood pressure when he was about 35. My older brother had some severe
      heart problems and died at 63. My father was 65 and had had several heart
      attacks. Lung problems seem to be in the family too. It used to be that
      anyone who developed a cough and a breathing problem was said to have
      consumption. I think a lot of it was asthma and COPD.
      Evelyn
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
        Dear Patricia, Isn't life interesting. You and I share
        common interests in this area. Genetics is what got me
        started in research. I had an inspiring teacher in
        high school for biology. She was so enthusiastic. One
        would have thought every breath depended upon
        genetics--it might, you know. Then as Mama began
        sharing information about our families, I could relate
        personally to what my teacher was saying. Later, with
        Mama having cancer, I had to choose a career in
        nursing. I could not bear to see her suffer and not do
        anything for her. I felt that nursing would give me
        the best chance to change lives and to help people. I
        have read everything I can get my hands on. Teachers
        sometimes never know the impact they have on their
        students' lives. Later, Carol

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
          Dear Evelyn and Paula, I had a cardiac arrest in my
          30's. Uncles on both sides of my family died of heart
          attacks--young,too. To my knowledge, nobody except for
          my brother and I have high blood pressure. There are
          more women in the family who had cancer than I care to
          think about--died of it, too. As far as I know, my
          son, possibly my daughter, and I are the only ones
          with Addison's Disease. I do not know if the Susan
          Kennedy who married a Worthington centuries ago was
          related to John F. Kennedy and if the Addison's came
          from that line. In any event, why strike the three of
          us. There is no Addison's in my husband's line. I
          began gall bladder attacks in my teens. I know nobody
          in the family with gall bladder disease. We do have
          many cases of thyroid disorders, including my sister
          and me and some cousins, and a couple of diabetics.
          Genetics produces some interesting patterns. Later,
          Carol

          http://my.yahoo.com