Publication Status of "Volume II - Chronicles of Pitt Co. - North Carolina

  • John V Lucas Jr
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
      Dear Cousins,

      Can some out there tell me when I should expect to receive the two
      copies that I ordered of Volume II -
      Chronicles of Pitt County - North Carolina?

      Yours,

      Cousin John V. Lucas, Jr.
      659 Brockton Way
      West Melbourne, FL. 32904
      Telephone: 321-837-1243
    • Trish Worthington Cobb
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
        I will check with someone today, but I think they have either finished
        the editing, or are almost finished, and about ready to send the
        material to the publisher.
        Liz and Sandra have put in a lot of work on this project. It is going
        to be excellent, when it is finished, but we will have to wait a little
        longer.
        Trish

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
          Dear Trish, Happy New Year! Look, since I discovered
          that Jenny Secession McGowan had a son Jeness in
          December 1899 (the 1900 census) and that she was
          living in Rocky Mount Mills in Nash County, widow of
          Charles R. Anderson, that makes the Baker information
          I submitted in her biography for the Chronicles II
          incorrect. Charles R. Anderson was her first husband.
          He apparently died in 1899. Either you or Paula Baker
          wrote me that she married John Baker on 1/15/1903 (I
          believe it was). Mama was under the impression that
          she had had a son Kenneth by this marriage and that he
          had died of the flu along with the husband. I believe
          that Paula Baker wrote me that John Baker actually
          died much later so that Jenny and he must have
          divorced between 1903 and January 1909 when she
          married Alfred Worthington (1871-1938). I have not
          been able to locate death records for John Baker. Can
          you help? Is it too late to get the corrected
          information to Sandra Hunsucker? Later, Carol
          --- Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@...>
          wrote:

          > I will check with someone today, but I think they
          > have either finished
          > the editing, or are almost finished, and about ready
          > to send the
          > material to the publisher.
          > Liz and Sandra have put in a lot of work on this
          > project. It is going
          > to be excellent, when it is finished, but we will
          > have to wait a little
          > longer.
          > Trish
          >
          > On Monday, January 3, 2005, at 09:49 AM, John V
          > Lucas Jr wrote:
          >

          > > Dear Cousins,
          > >
          > > Can some out there tell me when I should expect to
          > receive the two
          > > copies that I ordered of Volume II -
          > > Chronicles of Pitt County - North Carolina?
          > >
          > > Yours,
          > >
          > > Cousin John V. Lucas, Jr.
          > > 659 Brockton Way
          > > West Melbourne, FL. 32904
          > > Telephone: 321-837-1243
          > >

          > > Pitt County Historical Society:
          > >
          > > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME
          > II CHRONICALS
          > > earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for detail
          > instructions:

          > > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form,
          > limited supply:

          > > Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

          > Resources:

          > join our dynamic
          > > group if you are interested in genealogy
          > discussion and research in
          > > Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina
          > counties.
          > > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
          > > Research
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
        • Louise
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
            Will there be extra copies of the book for sale?

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
            > > > Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm
            > > >
            > > > Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical
            > > Resources:
            > > > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/
            > > >
            > > > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you
            > > join our dynamic
            > > > group if you are interested in genealogy
            > > discussion and research in
            > > > Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina
            > > counties.
            > > > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
            > > > Research
            > > >
            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Get it on your mobile
            > phone.
            > http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

            > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II
            > CHRONICALS earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for
            > detail instructions:

            > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form,

          • Trish Worthington Cobb
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
              You can still order a copy before it is printed.
              Go to this web page
              http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com
              and click on Publications.
              Trish

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
                Carol,
                Why don't you quickly correct your article and then ask Liz Sparrow if
                it can be changed. She may say it is too late, but worth a try. I
                know they are under pressure now to get it all completed, so I really
                think it will be too late to make a change. If too late, most likely
                it will not be the only thing which is incorrect in the book, because
                no matter how hard we try, there is always something which escapes us.
                Between you and me, I think you may need more proof of that John Baker
                before you make too many changes. I have a feeling there was more than
                one. John Baker is a fairly common name, like John Smith or John
                Moore. There were probably many living at the same time. Although
                Paula thinks the one who died later was the same one who married
                Jennie, and he well may be, how do you really know? No disrespect
                intended toward Paula's work. She is terrific at finding information
                and always helpful and generous. Did you look at the John Baker who was
                living in the small town near Rocky Mount at the same time Jennie was
                listed in the census in the mill village. I need to go back and look
                at that census again, because I cannot remember which small town it
                was. I think it was in Edgecombe County, but would have been near
                Rocky Mount. He was single, a farmer, about her age. Could this have
                been the one she married? The only reason I think you should look at
                him is that there Jennie was living in a strange place, single,
                widowed, with a new baby, and certainly an attractive young woman,
                living in a town where she may not have known that many people, but
                surely someone may have introduced her to some of the people her age
                from nearby. Worth a look anyway.
                Trish

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2005
                  Oh gracious yes. I never have a problem with someone
                  straightening me out. And speaking of, the article on
                  the Thomas Bragg Manning family in that publication is
                  wrong. Someone combined two Manning genealogies. Don
                  Manning told me that. Thomas Bragg Manning was
                  descended from Reuben Manning, but not Marcom Manning
                  as that article indicates. I have not researched my
                  Mannings, but I trust Don's research. He corrected my
                  file for me. Thank goodness. I'm better on the
                  finding than the details.:)

                  =====
                  Paula Baker

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2005
                    Dear Trish, What you say is true--all of it. I really
                    do not know which Baker. Mama did not know herself. In
                    addition, she never mentioned it (even if she did
                    know)that her mother had ever lived anywhere except
                    Pitt County. I agree with you that that biography is
                    not going to be the only with an error in it. I will
                    trying to revise anything about the Baker husband.
                    What I do know from the marriage certificate is that
                    she gave her name as Jenny Baker at the time of her
                    marriage to Grandpa Alfred Worthington. Thanks for
                    your input. I will hop to it. Later, Carol

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail